• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Fandango - Shout Factory CD release scheduled for 2/19/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy, I have a question about one of the TJB albums (and I'm probably jumping the gun on this one): Herb's '74 album You Smile - The Song Begins. A few of the songs on that album appeared on the Lost Treasures CD from 2005 with Herb redoing the trumpet in a couple of cases. When You Smile does get released will it be as the album originally was or will the re-recorded versions be on it?

Thanks again for your responses. Happy New Year my friend!

Capt. Bacardi

Happy 2013 and best wishes to you Captain B-

I would like to see everything released as it was originally released. "You Smile" will be the original "You Smile" and "Lost Treasures" will be "Lost Treasures." I have not discussed these 2 particular albums with unc as yet but I certainly do not see any reason why the original album would not be released as it was originally released in 1974.

Thanks CB..

I was so happy to hear You Smiles when it came out--remember, it had been two or three years since we'd heard Herb--and it was an uplifting experience. When "Promises, Promises" first spun out I remember thinking "This is the way it should sound. Why hasn't Herb done this before now??" I vote for the original release, of course. We'll always have Lost Treasures.

Thanks for sharing the insider poop, Randy!

Happy 2013 to all,
Mike A.

Cool to read the archival digs are going well. Especially since Randy and crew could have gone the easy way out and just found an old CD of FANDANGO and going with that (I remember seeing it at a used record store and they had it for months, until the day I had enough money to go buy it). Sounds like my time has come to get this one on CD (I've been waiting since....1989? Whenever it went OOP!).

The album holds special meaning for me, in a corny way. The song "Coco Loco" used to be played constantly on the "piped in" music featured at my local Chi-Chi's restaraunt from the mid 1980's until the chain went bust. In my opinion, I always considered it a "hit," and I was kinda bummed to see it wasn't included on the DEFINITIVE CD from 10 years ago.

Yep, that is my favorite song from Fandango along with "Route 101." I always thought "Coco" sounded like the Brass would have, if they'd kept recording into the 80s.

In case you've not noticed, amazon has the forthcoming re-release of Fandango listed twice. The first listing is considerable higher than the second listing, which is currently $12.99 (which is what my pre-order is listed for). I'm not seeing any differences in them, so FYI if this is your vehicle for ordering this. Sure looking forward to it - I have it on CD but I have long suspected it to be a bootleg and not official.

Just read all of the various posts from Randy Alpert - I'm very happy to hear of the release of other recordings by Mr Alpert and Ms Hall, notably. I know they talked about this when I saw when I saw them at their Lincoln Center show in NYC. I didn't see any mention of Mr. Alpert's first solo recording, "Just You and Me", and wondered about that. And like others, I'd enjoy a re-release/remastered version of "Beyond" (I've also long suspected my copy of this as a bootleg) and "Magic Man" (the latter of which I've always liked). I've especially been interested to read thre technical stuff about preservation. I'm not a techie, but I do find it fascinating how recordings are made and preserved.

BTW, the Lincoln Center show was recorded, I thought. Any idea of whether that's going to be broadcast anywhere or released?

Unfortunately we will not be handling CD's on the new website. We will have both MP3 320 and Lossless files. I would love to eventually offer 24 bit 192K files....

Sign me up for the 24/192... :wink: I've followed HDTracks for awhile, and they have picked up a lot of major titles in the past year. The interest is definitely growing on those, and at least they are bundling some album art and a PDF file with the liner notes into some of those releases. I think some of the MP3 generation are starting to realize how "altered" their lossy music files are. They are not the easiest to burn to disc, but a lot of us now use home music servers, or can at least play the files from a USB device of some sort.

(Tip for HDTracks users: if the file is 24bit/96kHz, it can be burned to an "audio DVD" (not DVD-Audio). The DVD specs allows you to play back up to 24bit/96kHz lossless audio through any common DVD player, without needing a menu if you choose.)

BTW (and I'm really dreaming on this one :laugh: ), I'd love someone to cherry pick a couple of the better-selling albums and see them pressed as 180g vinyl. I have some that are literally jaw-dropping, beating any digital version I've heard. (The best are the ones that come straight from the analog masters, like some of the Rhino titles such as Van Morrison's Moondance or the 45RPM set of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.)

P.S. Great video, Randy...and agreed on the Genesis. I've been in a Selling England By The Pound mode as of late. :wink:

It's release day for FANDANGO. Let's all be sure to purchase our physical copies and get one for your friends too! We need this to sell well so others in the Signature Series can be justified to follow.

http://www.amazon.com/Fandango-Herb-Alpert/dp/B00ARX2W24

That's the correct link for ordering through Amazon. The other one they had up is erroneous.

Harry

Disappointing to see that Amazon.co.uk are showing a despatch time of 1 - 2 months ( it is a import, but was supposed to be released Today ). There are none for sale on eBay UK either :confused:

Dave.....

It's release day for FANDANGO. Let's all be sure to purchase our physical copies and get one for your friends too! We need this to sell well so others in the Signature Series can be justified to follow.

http://www.amazon.com/Fandango-Herb-Alpert/dp/B00ARX2W24/amcorne-20

That's the correct link for ordering through Amazon. The other one they had up is erroneous.

Harry
I ordered my "Fandango" CD from Amazon yesterday! I can't wait for it to arrive in the mail.Siegel

Shere Siegel

If any of the solo albums ever deserved a 180g vinyl reissue, it's this one. :agree:

Disappointing to see that Amazon.co.uk are showing a despatch time of 1 - 2 months ( it is a import, but was supposed to be released Today ). There are none for sale on eBay UK either :confused:

There are plenty via third party sellers on Amazon UK. £9.02 + £1.26UK delivery is the least expensive, and it ships from California. Three others are in stock in the UK for not much more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00ARX2W24

Thanks Rudy - I have already bought one from eBay in California for just over £10 - just hope it doesn't take too long to get here :goodie:

Dave.....

Hi Dave! I have ordered in the opposite direction (from UK to US) and if it actually does ship from the UK, it usually gets here within a week and a half. Some Adam Ant CDs I bought several years ago arrived in less than a week!

Some of the vinyl I've purchased from Amazon UK ended up shipping from a warehouse elsewhere in Europe and, unfortunately, they've used DHL and it took up to a month for it to arrive here each time. Even a textbook that shipped from there took nearly four week. DHL is absolutely horrible.

I'm in Fort Worth, Texas and enjoying my remastered ride down "Route 101" with the re-released "record" which I received today. Such a joy and grace.

I guess I will have to wait until Wednesday because Barnes & Noble in Midland, Michigan didn't have it. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Notice received today from Amazon (US) that the CD has shipped. Various CD household players are now in warm-up mode, and I'm laying in extra chile peppers.

Mike A.

I am expecting mine in tomorrow's mail. UPS is shipping it, can't wait to hear it remastered.and listening to the cd through Polk audio speakers and with a yamaha subwoofer wow.
bob

I am expecting mine in tomorrow's mail. UPS is shipping it, can't wait to hear it remastered.and listening to the cd through Polk audio speakers and with a yamaha subwoofer wow.
bob
Got an e=mail from Amazon.com just now telling me that my CD of "Fandango" has been shipped & I'll be getting it on Feb.27th!
I can't wait to listen to it!

Shere Siegel

And from Randy said in one of his posts. that he played it for Herb and he almost fell off his chair. from hearing that. you know the sound quality has to be excellent.I can't wait to hear it.
bob

I received an email from Amazon yesterday that the Fandango CD had shipped.....just checked the tracking number and it is 'Out for Delivery' already! I know what I will be doing when I get home! I wonder if I can cut out of work early, I think I have Fandango fever....

Got mine today. I notice they have upgraded the paper used for the Digipaks to a shiny coated paper. I wish they had done that with all the TJB disks...gives the package a classier look and makes the colors seem deeper. There's a reason they used that shiny paper on LP covers back in the day.

hi guys I just got mine in today's mail. and I have to agree with mike, I noticed the upgrade as well. just a few words Fandango is Excellent including the crisp and clear sound. and I could hear the bass more on fandango.
bob

The UK digipaks on the Sabre / High Coin label all had shiny cardboard - they look much better quality to me. Also, there was a slot cut into the bottom of the inside of the cover to house the liner notes, rather than them sliding INSIDE the cover. Can't wait to get my Fandango - hopefully it will arrive at the end of Feb.

Dave.....

Fandango arrives.
I got my copy of the new FANDANGO in today's mail, and the word everyone is using is "excellent", and I have to concur. This is first class all the way, as one would expect from the always reliable Mr. Alpert. As one of the fortunate ones who's had FANDANGO on CD since its 1988 debut in that format, I can clearly hear a big difference in the mastering. The older CD, while good for its time, doesn't have the kick that the new one does. It's not just loudness or a bass boost either. There's some extra "magic" in these old tracks, and Bernie Grundman and Randy Badazz have worked their own brand of magic to find it.

Packaging:
As mentioned earlier, the digipak from Shout is made with a shinier cardboard, mimicking the shinier material that A&M released the vinyl album in back in 1982. It adds an extra sheen to the Richard Avedon black & white photo that graces the cover along with the flaming red Fandango logo. The included booklet is less glossy, but in line with the others in the Herb Alpert Signature Series that were released in the past decade. And the pattern continues with the liner notes. First you get a page with new notes from Herb, then a page reprinting the original liner notes, and then an essay by Gene Sculatti (instead of Josh Kun), all followed up with album credits new and old. The back page, as usual, is a reprint from a vinyl album. An interesting inclusion here is that it's reprinted from a Canadian copy of FANDANGO. You can just make out the tiny French printing at the bottom. The disc face is red colored with the pale colored Fandango logo angled up, with the Herb Alpert Signature Series logo at the top in an ochre color. Fine print is in white.

Audio:
The sound is just top-notch all the way, as these old tunes get new life on this wonderful remaster.

Highly recommended (as if anyone on this board needs a recommendation!).

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom