• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Favorite song that Herb did not record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rim Kasputis

Hello all,
If this has been discussed please direct me to the correct thread . I was just curious if forum members have ever been polled on what songs they wished Herb would record that he has not.I am sure most of us have a tune in mind that we feel would be a perfect fit for an Alpert interpretation. If this has not been polled how do I go about doing that ?....Thanks Rim Kasputis

My choice for an older '60s song that Herb and the Brass should have done is "I Only Want To Be With You", the Dusty Springfield hit.

Harry

When I was in high school I envisioned the old song "Little Green Apples" done in the style of "The Sea Is My Soil." The verses would be slow, and then the "God didn't make little green apples" part would kick into that fast bossa-nova beat. (But, of course Herb had already DONE that with "Sea" so he would've had to come up with some other idea!)

How 'bout: Frank Mills," After You Mr. Trumpet Player" from Sunday Morning Suite?

That would definitely be the Janet Jackson "Diamonds" of its time, only that's NOT Herb's trumpet playing... (Might be neat, though...)

-- Dave

Off the top of my head...

The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows"

The Beatles' "Lady Madonna"

Glen Campbell's "Country Boy (You've Got Your Feet In LA)"

Mike

"Rhinestone Cowboy," "Wonderful World" (an obvious omission from his recorded canon) and (here's the odd one) "Mexican Radio."...

1. Music To Watch Girls By. The Tijuana Brass sometimes included this in their live performances, but I don't know of any recording by them.
2. Love Theme From the Flight of the Phoenix. This was recorded by The Brass Ring back in the 60s and I always felt it would have been a good TJB choice also.
3. The Disadvantages of You. Another Brass Ring tune.
4. A Man and A Woman.

The songs above have a very 1960s feel, and were well known melodies at the time.

How about "Over the Rainbow"? A little schmaltzy, maybe, but also timeless, and I can hear Herb doing a slow, sweet version, without orchestration, to finish off a B side.

=Mike A.

I also have always thought "The Work Song" would work great with a dance beat along the lines of a "Rise" type arrangement.

I was always a little disappointed that when Herb recorded IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND, he didn't do it as a vocal. Some others that come to mind, MEU PAO(perfect duet for he and Lani...); QUANDO, QUANDO, QUANDO; MEGLIO STASERA(from The Pink Panther); ALL MY LIFE and Shawn Phillips' DO YOU WONDER.

Dan

Captain Dave mentioned, "Music to Watch Girls By" and "A Man and a Woman". I would have loved hearing a TJB version of those tunes. Mr. A. has always been able to do songs well that have a strong vocal melody or theme.
Just wondrin' ... is Rim poling or searching for songs for a TJB Tribute album? :idea::wave: We can only hope.:goodie: Later amigos..............J

"The Sounds Of Silence", "I Wanna Be Free", "The Windmills Of Your Mind"...

-- Dave

Julius & the BMB did a superb version of "Windmills" . . . and I think that would've been an excellent side for Herb to've done as well. Think of the the orchestration possiblities.

=Mike A.

I thought for years that "Flowers On The Wall" would have been a great BAJA song and who went and did it? :wink:

...or take the arrangement of "Gotta a Lotta Livin' To Do" and instead insert "This Could Be The Start of Something Big." Might work.

3. The Disadvantages of You. Another Brass Ring tune.

A little off-topic, but I just found out that the lady singing the "la-la's" in that tune ("The Disadvantages Of You" by The Brass Ring) is Juli Christman. She was a jingle singer back in the '60s and '70s and recorded the song "Hold Me" by the Keith Textor Singers that we identified here for someone looking for the obscure record.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom