First Impressions of Bom Tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
I'm on my second listen and am really enjoying this release. The first thing that appealed to me is the welcome frequent use of acoustic piano. There are inventive reworkings of Ye-Me-Le and Pais Tropical (I personally enjoyed YML more than PT), Gracinha sounds lovely on Caminhos Cruzados. This is largely rap free, and it actually reminds me in spirit of Arara.

I picked it up yesterday at Tower Records in Yokohama.

Up beat and lively; not bad.

Mike

I see that my Japanese version has a Bonus track 13:

Mas Que Nada – featuring The Black Eyed Peas (Studio Apartment Edit) (4:27)

If I was in the States I wouldn’t go to any extra effort or money to get this version. It’s just one more of the countless versions of Mas Que Nada. Nothing (in my opinion) that is special.

Mike

I listened to the new version of País Tropical, and then I listened to the original again. I definitely heard Karen on the original version.

The CD is still new for me. It will be a few listens before I can really pick out favorites.

Won't "spoil" anything here. Just wish to say it's upbeat, fresh and modern. Very well done. I will also say I'm glad Sergio's the producer here and not Wil.I.Am. Not that I have anything against him, but it's nice to hear Sergio take his music in HIS own direction -- not the way OTHERS see his music. Love it!!

Peace,
Jon

Going to be bold and say that I've listened to this until I'm blue in the face. Actually said to myself, "One more listen to 'Orpheus' and I'll put it to bed..." Can't get enough of that song -- let alone much of anything done by Gracinha. Astounding.
Jon

The only total snooze for me (albeit a pleasant snooze :wink: ) is You and I. Much like I feel about It's So Obvious That I Love you from Homecooking.

I posted a bit before listening to it all the way...I erased the post as I think I need a day to absorb it all before I can give a full assessment.

So far....it's mostly pretty wonderful! More later.

JMK said:
The only total snooze for me (albeit a pleasant snooze :wink: ) is You and I. Much like I feel about It's So Obvious That I Love you from Homecooking.

I feel just the opposite on "You And I". I've not had time to sit down and listen to the whole thing as an ALBUM, but I've picked and chosen a song here and there, and "You And I" sounds like a great record to me.

I've even played it a couple of times in a row 'cause I couldn't get enough of it!

So far, everything I've heard on BOM TEMPO has been really good. Maybe it'll be a big seller coming out the day before Cinco de Mayo.

Harry

"You & I" is supposed to be the first single from the album and the release date is now May 18th.

Without question, the best cuts are Gracinha's. I've been playing "So Tinha De Ser Com Voce" and "Maracatu" on autoplay! The woman just keeps getting better! And I love Seu Jorge's kickass version of "Maracatu Atomico".

The new versions of "Ye-Me-Le", "Pais Tropical" and "The Real Thing" are fun and enjoyable, but they've worn less well on repeated listenings.

Got mine last weekend and have just listened once, so far, due to work issues that have kept me from my mobile listening pod (AKA my pickup).

I really like it. It's a more consistent album than either TIMELESS or ENCANTO. My favorite among the remakes are "Emorio" and "Ye-Me-Le." I was very surprised to enjoy "Ye-Me-Le" so much because the original is one of my all-time favorites, but this remake takes it in a whole new direction, retains a bit of flute, and has great harmonies which the original did not have.

It was also a happy surprise to hear a couple of snips from old Brasil '66 tunes in "Emorio." So now Lani's voice has appeared on the last 3 Sergio Mendes albums.

The above-mentioned "You and I" was a great tune, I thought -- a total pop excursion, to be sure, but Sergio has done plenty of those in the past and this is one of the better ones, I think.

I agree with the assessment of Gracinha's vocals -- they are awesome as always. My favorite of her recent efforts is still "Catavento" from the last album, but the new ones are going to wear well, I think.

Rap haters: There are two or three forays into that format, but they are minor and treated more as "breaks" in the songs -- melodic vocals are definitely 99% of the focus here.

I guess the only (minor) thing I didn't like is that the beats tend to start to sound alike after about 8 or 9 tracks...one or two more "slow" songs in the mix would have helped there. But, that's a small nitpick. Overall it's an excellent album and well worth the investment. The artwork is cool, too.

The rap in "Ye-Me-Le" is cool and doesn't bother me at all - it totally fits into what is pretty much a rap song to begin with, but the rap in "Pais Tropical" is the one thing on the album that truly annoys the crap out of me. It derails a song that until then is an absolute knockout, and it never gets back on track. It takes the place of the entire 'sambaby' section, so we never hear the entire song.

Harry said:
Is the official Concord site then wrong? It's listing May 4.

I received an e-mail from them noting the 2 week delay and the various CD seller sites list May 18th also.

Except that Amazon is now saying June 1! I just checked.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom