• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

First Three Brasil 66 Album Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiofile

Can someone tell me who is on the cover of Herb Alpert presents, Equinox, and Look Around, from left to right? I can't seem to make out everybody.

Good question, since the photos of those "early guys" tend to look a bit anonymous. It's difficult for me to tell which is José Soares and which is Jôao Palma. Below are the three covers from Amazon with my guesses, which I based on Tim Yee's old photo of the group and determining that Jôao Palma had more hair covering his forehead than did José Soares.
B000HEV83C.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Herb Alpert Presents: l-r Jôao Palma, Sergio Mendes blocking José Soares, Bob Matthews, Lani Hall and Bibi Vogel
B0000631D2.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Equinox: l-r Bob Matthews, Janis Hansen, Sergio Mendes in front of José Soares, Lani Hall, then Jôao Palma
B00004S95S.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Look Around: foreground l-r Jôao Palma, Bob Matthews, José Soares; back row: Lani Hall, Sergio Mendes, Janis Hansen

Here's a link to member Tim Yee's memories and account of his encounter with Brasil '66 in concert at the Michigan State Fair in 1967.

Harry

Harry said:
Herb Alpert Presents: l-r Jôao Palma, Sergio Mendes blocking José Soares, Bob Matthews, Lani Hall and Bibi Vogel

Equinox: l-r Bob Matthews, Janis Hansen, Sergio Mendes in front of José Soares, Lani Hall, then Jôao Palma

Actually Harry, you've got Jose & Joao reversed on HAP & Equinox, but correct on Look Around. Joao is behind Sergio on HAP and at the back on Equinox. No matter - it's the music they generated that counts.....

Brasil_66_Fan said:
Harry said:

Actually Harry, you've got Jose & Joao reversed on HAP & Equinox, but correct on Look Around. Joao is behind Sergio on HAP and at the back on Equinox. No matter - it's the music they generated that counts.....

Thanks a lot!

The Look Around cover made a big impression on me. I have always remembered it. When I first saw it in 1978-1981 in my house. Then I moved to the U.S and didn't see it until years later. Virgin records had a huge international music section. I was walking by and almost broke my neck trying to look back in amazement that this record made it to CD. It was a special moment, sort of like finding a treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom