• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

German musicians do a TJB medley

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a pretty unusual arrangement. When I first saw the picture, I thought it was the TJB, and was actually disappointed when it came on, but after listening a few seconds, it really swept me up.

I found that same group in an outside video doing a more German song. I didn't care much for it, compared to their TJB medley.

The video is terrific (although would be even better if they weren't miming) and I enjoyed it hugely.

But worth adding is the fact that Sudtirol (the lads in the video are the Sudtiroler Brass) is in fact a semi-autonomous part of Italy. It was once part of Austria, then during WW2 the Germans took it over and it's now in Italy.

Hi, Tony & Larry! Yep, it's one wild video. I've learned a lot about those guys. Thanks for filling us in, Tony. I had a feeling it was a horn synch job, as I saw no mikes anywhere. I wonder now if they even did it. Maybe so. I also wonder if the audience was hearing it through a p.a. or if they were playing with the tape. They seemed to like it.

I noticed on Spanish Flea the tempo slows down after they start. Caught 'em on that. Not too bad, and certainly a different pace.
I got a hoot myself when one of 'em wants to drink and already looks pretty well potted! :D Maybe they play better with some heat in the oven. :tongue:

Tony - Are they really miming or is it just one of those bad YouTube sync jobs? :wink:

Actually it would probably be really hard/expensive to "mike" a band like that in a setting like that and get a good recording. I wonder if their music is on record?

MODERATOR NOTE: I did some work on this thread to clean it up/get it on topic. I removed a few posts and some content from a couple of the posts above, all of which referred to another thread which has now been deleted. If the above posters have any questions about what was done, please PM me. Thank you!

Mike Blakesley said:
Tony - Are they really miming or is it just one of those bad YouTube sync jobs? :wink:

Actually it would probably be really hard/expensive to "mike" a band like that in a setting like that and get a good recording. I wonder if their music is on record?

Oh, they're miming. The audio is way too crisp for a start - obviously done in a studio. Having done audio for this kind of location performance, I can tell you unless there were loads of microphones around, it would take on the acoustic of the beer cellar (which would be highly coloured) and would have a background of chatter and glasses clinking! (I noticed how much beer was at the band's table....)

Indeed as Honda queries, it's possible the band who recorded in the studio were not the same as the musicians miming.

Don't know if it was recorded commercially, but my record label partner is an expert on these kind of recordings and I'll ask her to investigate. I'd like a decent copy of this myself!!

This is really becoming intriguing and interesting! I listened to that thing again yesterday, and cranked up the bass on the 180 watt subwoofer under my desk. I could definitely hear a bass guitar that wasn't even seen. On "Taxi" I also heard mirimbas which weren't there. I think you may have it, Tony. It may not be the same group. There I was bragging on this bunch of fakes-lol! It makes a great illusion. The audience in the bar was probably in on it. The frequent camera changes says a professional TV crew did the taping, so anything is possible. The drummer was obviously, pretty good at this, as it looked like his licks were right on time with the drum beats.

I also noticed as you did, Tony, the acoustics were polished on the tape, but the applause was like in a room with hard surfaces and no clinking of glasses or talk, as you said. May be like Herb's Wade in the Water video. That was the recording too.

We'll be awaiting what your record label partner says about it. Looks to be a great auditory illusion on their part.

Umm Um Um. The more I watch that thing, the more baffled I become. :goofygrin:

I closely watch the horn players and don't really see their lips or mouths bulging as to be blowing any wind. Yet, I look at the drummer, and his every lick is perfectly synched, and without any earphones to not be delayed with the music! It's like he is actually drumming, but the others aren't blowing wind. I can also seem to hear some strings when So What's New swells in certain parts of the song. I wish we knew who put this thing out and more about those guys. It's messing with my brains! :shock:

Here's how it works on a location taping. The TV truck had a tape for playback and because the microphones at the venue are turned off during the number, they can feed the pre-recorded track to the band and the audience from foldback speakers hidden out of shot.

Thus the drummer - who may well have also been the drummer on the recording session - is able to repeat his performance for the cameras with precision. But if the brass section was actually playing, they would drown out the foldback - so they just mime.

On BBC's Top of the Pops show years ago, I witnessed a very famous group being completely thrown when they had to mime the paino part using a piano that had no strings!!

I've now found all the details. The medley appears on a commercial CD "Lust auf Mehr" ('Desire for More') by the Sudtiroler Gaudi Musikanten, who do live performances all the time.

http://www.gaudimusikanten.com/de/tontraeger/lust_auf_mehr.html

You can hear the first part of the track in stereo by clicking on it. It's an impressive recording, and sounds identical to the You Tube clip so I assume they simply mimed to their CD. I'm not sure how you can obtain a copy but I have emailed the band to find out!

The video is taken from the TV channel RAI Bozen, a German language channel for the Sudtirol region, operated by the Italian state broadcaster RAI.

I am just blown away from all this super information! Thanks so much, Tony! That sure fills in a lot of blanks, really all of them.

I will check that site out. It's good to know they really did do that.

Again, many thanks for getting into the nitty gritty of how this all came together.

Ah, great web site! I counted 20 of those guys! It didn't seem like there were that many on the video.

The Spanish Flea sample was outta sight! Better in stereo, better quality and more bass! I just wonder if that entire CD is devoted to Herb? I'm not much for German music as such, but would go for the Herb & TJB CD if it is all that. I also wonder if whoever gets the email can read English? I could use the Google translator, but it might come out backwards as did their German when I used it to translate their site write-up. :shock: I wanted to tell them how enjoyable I found their video.

We will be looking to hear if they reply to you, Tony. Keep us up on it all, and again, many thanks.

Given that the YouTube clip is a "medley," I would guess that the rest of their CD is not Herb-based....but who knows, eh?

I wish they would do an all Alpert CD. I wish MORE they were an American group. I can't speak/read German. :oneeye: I don't care a hoot for German music, but they can sure put some pizazz on Herb's stuff! :thumbsup:

Most of the rest of the CD is traditional Tyrolean stuff, but there's a James Last medley and a Les Humphries medley as well. Very promising.

My German's not too bad (I used to host the Breakfast Show on Austrian state radio so I can get by sort of) and I reckon I'll be able to communicate with these guys.

The production values are very high and I really want to play the 'Herb Albert medley' (sic) on the radio!!!

I shall keep you all posted.

Wow! What have I wrought?! :D This is really so intriguing and interesting. I just stumbled onto that video, thinking it was Herb & the Brass, and look what we're finding out about those guys!

Sure glad you can yak with them, Tony. Just let 'em know that I and several of us really enjoyed their Herb songs. I wish I could see them live, get 'em to come state side and hit Abilene, Texas! If any of these folks around here heard them, I think they would give 'em a standing OV.

Thanks for all you're doing, Tony, and it sure gets more interesting as we go. :thumbsup:

The more I listen to them, the more they remind me of Danny Davis & the Nashville Brass, popular back in the 70's or so. I counted those 20, and I bet the ones who weren't on the video were the guitarists, bass, etc., and maybe mirimbas and other instruments. They couldn't have all fit in that tiny beer cellar! :wink:

Well, this thread is dying off looks like, and it's a shame. Best brass band I've heard, internationally speaking.

I think I finally spotted a speaker at the right end of the trumpets when the cam is pointing that way. Looks to be a huge one.

Lord only knows, Mike! I get to boppin' along with it, I sometimes go Yeeehaaa! :D I wish they would learn more of Herb's stuff and put it all out on a CD, and leave the oom-pah music out. I'd burn the mail ordering one. I still marvel at how a large foreign band like that has made the TJB's music so vibrant and alive. I think I can even hear strings in there. That's probably the other guys who wouldn't fit into that little tavern. :D

Like the other Tony, I emailed 'em complimenting their talent, but never heard back. 10 to 1 none of them could read English. :D

Got a reply this week (in perfect English) - they're trying to sort out a CD for me. Apparently they don't sell them through the website, but my lengthy investigation of German online ordering sites drew a blank.

I'll let you know what happens next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom