• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Herb Alpert: Always In Tune - LOS ANGELES MAGAZINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
The new, May 2011 issue of Los Angeles Magazine, contains a nine page article about Herb. There are some great new pix by photographer Art Streiber. The article is quite detailed and on a first read through, seemed to be very accurate and factual. I would say that this is a must read for any Herb fan and certainly more in-depth than any other recent articles that I have yet to come across.

http://www.lamag.com/play/videos/Story.aspx?ID=1405711 is a link to the story and there is a video of the photo shoot, as well as a link to buy a digital copy of the magazine. It's a resonable $3, especially if your local news stand doesn't carry the magazine.

0511herbalpert.jpg

For those who would like to purchase the actual magazine, you can contact:Estrellita Dacanay [email protected] ANGELE Magazine
Subject: MAY ISSUE - HERB ALPERT

So glad you were able to get an actual copy Steve! I finally picked one up Sunday after driving around on $4.18 gas and finding the first three newsstands sold out! The forth newsstand had only one copy left! And I live in LA!

Really suggest people get an actual copy if they can. Does the digital version contain the whole magazine issue or just the article? I ask because there is also a very nice opening piece on Herb called, “Clarion Call” by the editor Mary Mellon and a nice off the record note about how the author listened to “Definitive Hits’ continuously before interviews with Herb.

Have to wonder why they sat on this article for so long considering the interviews took place between the Fall & December of last year and “I Feel You” came out in early February. Herb surely does not need press to sell the high priced tickets to the short SoCal tour this month.

Sure would like to know what that “Wanted” photo is above Herb on the first page? Does anyone know? I guess this is the closest thing to memoir we have right now. Like I have said before, I sure hope Herb is at least recording his stories and memories for posterity. Speaking of “recording” I sure would like to see the next Herb project recorded on analog! The lucky reporter got to hear Herb play “Desafinado”, The Girl From Ipanema” & “Triste”!

I have been fortunate to hear many of these stories first hand from Herb at various live performances but here were a few of my new favorites that I had not heard before:

“The Stan Getz – What’s that? story”

“Passing on the Kingmen’s Louie, Louie” – “I thought it was too long and out of tune”

Ed Sullivan – During rehearsal for the show in November 1965, he put his arm around Herb and said, “I discovered you”. “Ed, it’s too late, replied Herb!

Thanks again Steve for the heads up.

“You know the difference between a female singer and a terrorist? – You can reason with a terrorist”

- Herb Alpert, Malibu - Fall 2010

Just received the hard copy of this; my brother was in LA and got it for me (he also dined at The Vibrato - ok, we'll kill him later, lol). wants me to scan the article into pdf for him as he didn't read the thing so as when I got it it would be brand new. That'll be a challenge with an Epson WorkForce 633 without making it one humungous file. Strange, though: I knew he was picking this up for me, yet when I was flying through Union Station in Dc the magazine was in the bookstore in the station. I did a double-take. Yet I can't find Canadian magazines in the NY (I've been looking for Macleans) which is odd considering the proximity. Didn't see other "city" magazines, although in NY's Penn Station I often see "city" magazines for other areas along the NE Corridor (Philadelphia, Washington, etc). In any case, the article, with a lot of pictures, I seem looks quite interesting.

I received my copy of the entire magazine today. I thought it was interesting that Herb and Lani had planned on doing a record with Antonio Carlos Jobim, but unfortunately Jobim passed away. It reminded me of a story back in the 90's that Herb had planned on producing an album for sax great Art Pepper, but he also passed away suddenly. Great article - I hope everyone has a chance to read it!

I also enjoyed the stories on the Chinese food in the L.A. area. My GF and I are going to L.A. in July to catch Herb & Lani and some of those restaurants sound pretty good! We'll have to check some of these places out.

Sure would like to know what that “Wanted” photo is above Herb on the first page? Does anyone know?

I was wondering that as well. I seem to recall an ad for the Baja Marimba Band that had a photo of Julius. I wonder if that was it? I tried using a magnifying glass on those background photos but couldn't make out some of the photos due to the blurriness.

I was wondering that as well. I seem to recall an ad for the Baja Marimba Band that had a photo of Julius. I wonder if that was it? I tried using a magnifying glass on those background photos but couldn't make out some of the photos due to the blurriness.

The "Wanted" poster picture almost looks to me like a shot of The Captain and Tennille. I'm keying in on what looks like the Captain's hat.

Wanted.jpg

Send it over to the CSI guys to run it through their incredible image-enhancement software, where they'll be able to tell you what's reflected in someone's eyeball!

Harry

The "Wanted" poster picture almost looks to me like a shot of The Captain and Tennille. I'm keying in on what looks like the Captain's hat.

Wanted.jpg

Send it over to the CSI guys to run it through their incredible image-enhancement software, where they'll be able to tell you what's reflected in someone's eyeball!

Harry

I'm just about 100% sure that it is a picture of Lou Adler on the left and Herb on the right.
I just wish I could read what the print below says!
There is one person here who I am pretty sure has been in that office and knows what it says and perhaps AMGFWB will check in and let us know........or maybe not

I think it's a picture of Jerry and Herb from an event where they were honored - I think......

Thanks for checking in. I guess to me it looks like the individual on the left has a white beard. That's why I was sure it must be Lou.

Since we have your attention and knowing that you might view this reply, may I ask,

Is Herb done singing a solo vocal number in the live shows?

Do you think that there will ever been a chance of Herb doing "Something Cool" live?

Have you guys worked it up?

We rehearsed it, but it didn't make the final show order....there's no particular reason Herb isn't singing a song, other than the fact that we've done "Accustomed" since the very beginning and he wanted to give it a rest...

We rehearsed it, but it didn't make the final show order....there's no particular reason Herb isn't singing a song, other than the fact that we've done "Accustomed" since the very beginning and he wanted to give it a rest...

That is such exciting news! Thank you so much for taking the time to share such inside info
with us.

So glad to hear that a Herb's voice is fine (like I posted earlier in May after the Santa Monica
show - he sounded great!) - I figured he must be burnt out on "Accustomed".

It doesn't surprise me that Herb didn't do "Something Cool" in Chicago. He's such a class act
and Chicago really sounds like these were very special shows for Lani.

Very exciting to know that you have in fact rehearsed "Something Cool" and that we still
might get a chance to hear it in the future!

Re: A&Mguyfromwayback.
I'm fairly new to the forum, so I'd like to ask if you play in the group that backs Herb & Lani . You seem to know so much about what they'll play etc. in the concerts. Thanks for all the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom