Herb Alpert at Goldstar studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny

I was flipping channels the other night and saw a cool show on public access called Art Fein's Poker party. His guest was Dave Gold who ran Goldstar recording studio where many of the Tijuana Brass records were recorded. Dave mentioned updating and replacing the soundboard several times over the years. Soundboard number three was replaced in 1965 or '66 and A&M purchased it at some point in the future from Gold, Herb Alpert explaining to him that the Tijuana Brass records never sounded as good after they stopped being recorded at Goldstar. Dave also said that to his knowledge A&M never actually used that board after they bought it.

That's interesting. I've always thought that the recording quality (especially the trumpets) on the first six albums were extremely good. I've listened to a lot of material from the 50's and 60's that have been digitally remastered, and they come off really sweet. Feliz Navidad amigos.........Jay

I agree...

I don't want to start that old discussion again about how the TJB sound changed over the years.

But, I like the overall sound quality of Lonely Bull - What Now My Love better than what came afterward. I think I heard some kind of change with SRO...and I don't know how to describe it.

I'm looking forward to all the reissues, and especially the ones from What Now My Love on back...

kenny said:
I was flipping channels the other night and saw a cool show on public access called Art Fein's Poker party. His guest was Dave Gold who ran Goldstar recording studio where many of the Tijuana Brass records were recorded. Dave mentioned updating and replacing the soundboard several times over the years. Soundboard number three was replaced in 1965 or '66 and A&M purchased it at some point in the future from Gold, Herb Alpert explaining to him that the Tijuana Brass records never sounded as good after they stopped being recorded at Goldstar. Dave also said that to his knowledge A&M never actually used that board after they bought it.

It was the building that really made the difference. Gold Star had a special chamber, as I understand it, that was custom-built for recording. The accoustics were awesome, to say the least. I don't know all the particulars, but I believe that special concrete blocks were used in building the chamber. Others know more than I doabout this, and I believe there was a topic specific to Gold Star posted hewe at the forum. Try the search icon at the top of the page and enter Gold Star for more info.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom