• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Alpert sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

Herb continues to turn up courtside at the Los Angeles Lakers playoff games. For game five, he was seated next to the Timberwolves bench with Lou Adler, his partner from Ode records.

It's always a little shocking to see Herb these days, with all grey hair. Herb is seated right next to Jack Nicholson.

Keep an eye out for our hero at the next game.

Jeff, this is the second time you mentioned Herb's "shocking" looks. I saw him on the Sundance Channel from a recent documentary- and I pray I look half that good at 70.
Are you sure you aren't being a little hard on "our hero"? Whats up with that???
:twisted:

Maybe I am being a little hard. But, since Herb is out of the public eye so long, when you do see him it's "shocking". If we watched him grow older, maybe it would be another thing. Also, I think he cleans up well. When I saw him perform at the Jules Wechter tribute a few years back, he looked great.

I guess we all wish that our favorite performers would never age.

Captain 'Goin Postal' Bacardi said:
Let's not age him too quickly - he's only 69! :wink:

Allelujiah! According to my mom 69 is a good age to be (and my favorite number as well)...

--Mr Bill
fearing some may be offended at the "good taste" of this post. I didn't say that, did I?

I think Herb looks darn good. I've seen him in Los Angeles International and Burbank Airports a couple of times. Yes, he's older, but he's not hunched over like an old man. On the contrary, he looks athletic at best. By the way, I never bother him when I see him at the airport...he's a private person, usually surrounded by family and business associates, and I'm usually running to catch a flight anyway.

Now, if only I could get him on a flight I'm working! Then you can bet I'd have to say something...good old Southwest Hospitality!! :angel:

Jon

...who thinks Herb has 'Gotta A Lotta Living To Do', online and off...

I have wondered how I would react if I were to see a celebrity in public such as Herb Alpert. I remember running into, literally, Dave Winfield at LAX one time (I was leaving the mens room and he came in the wrong door!) and Clint Eastwood in Cottonwood California (of all places).
As much as I have followed and admired Herb Alpert over the years, I would never, and I mean never, approach him for an autograph or whatever. He would have to appraoch me before I would interact with him or if it was a venue where the public was encouraged to interact. Otherwise, I might nod and smile and leave him alone.

Shortly after I started flying for Southwest, I saw Karen Proft (Sergio's Karen Philipp and her husband (Producer Pat Proft) walking to Gate 3 in Los Angeles International. I remember being busy with a pre-boarding passenger and thinking to myself, "I should have handed this off to another flight attendant...gone over and said hello to Karen..."

Years later, when I learned of her unhappy departure from the group, I was glad I had not done so.

Jon

hi all, I was watching the lakers game tonight and as some did mention they saw herb sitting next to jack nicholson. well tonight I did see jack. and then I saw a person to the right of jack. they did a quick pan, and it did look like herb, he was wearing a white hat like on the fandango cover.
and he had big square glasses. and looked liked a white beard like santa claus. so was that really herb alpert?
bob papp

I remember hearing him mention it in an interview some time ago. I remember it because I had not heard that either- and after several engine searches, still cannot verify. :thumbsdn:

i didn't know that magic man was written for magic johnson! how about that! well,live and learn...did you folks know that was the first herb alpert tune i ever heard,and automatically fell in love with it?!!! also,if this tune can be called "jazz",then it was my first exposure to jazz,and from since that time,i've been exploring the jazz cave ever since....(went on to metheny,grover,sample,sanborn,azymuth,stanley jordan,etc...then miles,sassy,charlie parker,coltrane,etc)but it all started with herb's magic man!(thanks and god bless you,herb!!!!)

Sure Herb has aged as I last saw him 7 years ago at London concert and he was looking very youthful for 62 ... :confused:

Perhaps decided as no longer active performer / artist to stop using gels / dyes etc and be natural / happy ? :o

Peter

No that I got all caught up with Herbs appearance, it was his trumpet playing that attracted me in the first place. However, Herb always seemed to be in good physical shape, he apparently knew that image is a big part of success. I remember at one of his concerts in 1984 he danced witha high kick to one of his songs. I was impressed at his flexibility, at that time he would have been about 50. Not bad for middle age!

brasil_nut said:
I saw Karen Proft (Sergio's Karen Philipp and her husband (Producer Pat Proft) walking to Gate 3 in Los Angeles International. I remember being busy with a pre-boarding passenger and thinking to myself, "I should have handed this off to another flight attendant...gone over and said hello to Karen..."

Years later, when I learned of her unhappy departure from the group, I was glad I had not done so.

Jon
Jon, You should have said hi to Karen. Instead talking to Karen about Sergio Mendes, you could have mentioned to her MASH. I wasn't aware that Karen had an unhappy departure from Sergio's group. Was it really that bad? Have you seen Karen since? Have you talked to her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom