Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
THE BRASS ARE COMIN' album in the Herb Alpert Signature Series has been officially re-released in the USA as a download-only album available from iTunes. Tell us your favorite track, how you think the remastered album sounds, and give us your overall opinion.

Please do not use this thread to comment on the fact that the album isn't available on CD, but rather keep your comments about the actual sound of the album and the music contained within it.

Depending on how you look at it (or listen to it), "The Brass Are Comin'," released in late 1969, is either a step backwards from the new and adventurous sounds on "Warm," released a few months earlier, or a return to form that echoed the classic sound of earlier TJB albums. I think it's a little of both.

The relative commercial failure of "Warm," I'd guess, played a part in "The Brass Are Comin'"'s back-to-basics vibe, but at the same time this can't be mistaken for "Going Places" or "What Now My Love." There's the Western feel of this album, for one, from the cover photo to the title track to the cover of "I'm An Old Cowhand." I would never think that country-western and the TJB would make a good fit, but it works! Elsewhere, Latin and Brazilian rhythms are still in evidence on "Sunny" and "Anna." The use of strings, most notably in the vocal "You Are My Life," are a little too MOR for my taste, but they generally don't get in the way of the band.

A friend of mine who's a huge TJB fan just heard this and "Warm" together for the first time, and while he was unimpressed with "Warm," he liked "The Brass Are Comin'" much better. I guess that this album may have been intended that way -- for the longtime fans who felt betrayed by how different "Warm" sounded from the rest of his catalog.

Unfortunately, "The Brass Are Comin'" did nothing to reverse the TJB's sales decline, and it barely made the top 30 of the Billboard album chart, despite a TV special showcasing songs from the album. But the weak sales had far more to do with changing fashions than with the music on the record, which may not be his greatest album but is far from his worst.

I agree a lot with the above post.

As mentioned above, this album does not revive the TJB as a major artist on the pop music landscape, but it is changing times and tastes and not the music that are responsible.

I was introduced to the TJB sound with Going Places (although I had heard Lonely Bull and Acapulco 1922 as singles earlier), and that album became my so-called "frame of reference" for this artist. As later albums were released, I began to obtain those recordings including a box set released by the Longines Symphonette Society of the first four albums.

When I first heard Warm, I wondered if this was really Herb Alpert and the TJB because over a period of years I had become "conditioned" to what this artist sounded like. This was a new direction and different sound. It would have been fine perhaps coming from another source than the TJB. I think one of things that bothered me about Warm was the amount of orchestration that was used. To me, the only song on that album that reminded me at all of the familiar TJB was Zazueria, which was receiving some radio airplay at the time.

Brass Are Comin' was a little closer to the pre-Warm sound, but I did not care for the country/western motif surrounding the album, nor for some of the songs chosen for the album.

I am very glad that these albums are available. I think Volume 2 and Warm are essential parts of the 1960's Herb Alpert library. At this time, I am undecided about Brass Are Comin." To me, that album was like an afterthought to an era that had already ended about a year earlier.

My opinions is that the TJB era was coming to an end with "This Guy's In Love With You" in the later months of 1968.

My favorite track from Brass Are Comin" is Maltese Melody.

I do not own the kind of playback equipment that would allow for distinguishing sonic differences.

"Anna" is the tune that's a standout for me on this album, but it wasn't always so.

I bought THE BRASS ARE COMIN' immediately upon release, right around the time of the TV special. It was a time when we in the general public had no means of keeping a copy of a TV special, so an album released with the same title and in support of that show was like a keepsake souvenier.

Early favorite tracks were the title track and "Good Morning Mr. Sunshine", along with the single that was released, "The Maltese Melody", and "You Are My Life" (unlike some others among us, I *liked* Herb's vocal tracks). I also liked the way that "Moon River" sort of mirrored the way that section of the special went.

Later on I latched onto "I'll Be Back" when I discovered that as a favorite Beatles song, I was never overly fond of either "Robbers and Cops" or "I'm An Old Cowhand", just because I never cared much for Western themes, either in TV, movies, or music.

It wasn't until fairly recently that I came to really appreciate the rhythmic intricacies of "Anna". While listening in the car one day to a digital copy from the Japanese CD, the song and its complicated rhythms just struck me, and its been a favorite ever since.

This new Itunes version sounds about the same to me as the Japanese issue, with maybe a tiny bit more oomph in the bass. The album still retains its HAECO-CSG processing, the only full Herb Alpert album to suffer from that aural affliction.

Harry

I bought the Brass are Comin' album just after a TJB concert in October, 1969, in Cleveland, Ohio.

I remember that Good Morning Mr. Sunshine was played in that concert.

That concert was among the final series of live performances by the original TJB. It was after that time that the group was disbanded.

The only song I cared for when this one first came out was "I'm an Old Cowhand," because to me it sounded the most like the TJB that I grew up loving. The other songs were pretty lackluster in comparison, I thought. This one had attitude and humor, and a lot of attention to detail.

At the time I wasn't sure why I disliked this LP so much. Listening to it today it occurs to me that the songs are "all over the map." It's hard to tell what kind of sound Herb was going for here, because it's definitely schizophrenic. Maybe it's just me but it seems disorganized, and not at all "tight" like most of the TJB albums. I sense that Herb was losing his focus at this point.

At any rate, it is nice to be able to listen to it again. Even if it's not the best LP, it still beats 99% of what's out there today. And I love me some Herb. :D

I'm enjoying all the comments about this album. I got my copy on vinyl for Christmas in 1974. It must have gone out of print shortly thereafter. I always liked this better than "Warm," though, now that I've downloaded and burned that one, I'm appreciating it more and more. "The Brass Are Comin'" was my second download-and-burn (after putting the tracks into the correct order--what's up with that?) the other night and I've been cranking it regularly ever since.

My favorite cut is still "Moments," a lovely, melancholy piece. I'm also a big fan of "Good Morning Mr. Sunshine"--Shorty Rogers's orchestral arrangement is tasteful and gorgeous. I've always liked Sol Lake's punningly titled "Country Lake," and the overblown and perfect introduction to "Moon River."

The sound quality seems impressive. Herb's vocals on "You Are My Life" sound much fuller to me than they do on vinyl, and I'd never caught the building bassline at the beginning of "Anna" until I heard it digitally. There's a point at about 19 seconds into "Anna" where the electric piano answering the marimba comes in just slightly too late, and I've always found it irritating. The electric harpsichord, or whatever it is, playing the melody of "Country Lake" seems hit-and-miss, with notes showing up one time through, then disappearing, and vice-versa. Still, these idiosyncrasies have always been there--these aren't problems with the digital version.

All in all, it's just wonderful to have this fine album in digital form.

Cheers,

Tom

Interesting that this was album #13 for the TJB and the first not to go "gold". Of course, there's a good reason why - it's not a good album at all. For me this is absolutely the worst thing that Herb did with the TJB. Herb's trumpet tone was the pits by this point. It sounds as if he was struggling to get a sound out on some tunes, like he was pecking at notes instead of blowing the notes.

Not that it was all bad. There were some brief highlights. My favorite tune is "Anna", which had a great rhythm behind it and Herb did get a decent solo out towards the end of the song. I always liked this version of "I'll Be Back" (one of my favorite Beatles tunes) and "Sunny" also had a tight rhythm section behind it. "Robbers And Cops" was the only song to me that was close to the TJB sound.

On the negative side, "I'm An Old Cowhand" is absolutely awful! One of the worst things Herb ever recorded (next to "Tijuana Sauerkraut"), and "The Brass Are Comin'" was a close second. I hated the twangy steel guitar on "Country Lake". And then there's the vocal "You Are My Life", which only solidified my contempt of Herb's singing. "Moon River" started out hot, but when the TJB version kicked in it lost the thrill.

With regards to the iTunes version, it actually is almost better with the song order they have than the original order of the LP. And unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too much they can do with that awful HAECO-CSG sound that the album was recorded with.

When they do eventually release this on CD, it should be with a companion DVD of the TV special. That's the only way this would sell. The TJB fanatics may buy the CD by itself, but the general public won't. It didn't sell well when originally released and it will do even worse unless they do include a DVD with it. 2 stars out of 5.

Capt. Bacardi

To say that I am apalled, is an understatement. I hold The Brass are Comin on hallowed ground. It was a bitter sweet album for me , & I think many others. It was the "last official" Tijuana Brass album. But to call any Herb Alpert song "aw
full" is just wrong & should NOT be tolerated. I take offence! To put I'm an Old Cowhand on the same level as Tijuana Sauerkraut is ludicrous!.
If you have contempt of Herb's singing, you think songs are awful, you think steel guitars shouldn't sound twangy, and you call any song "the worst" YOU SHOULD STEP DOWN AS MODERATOR
a real FURIOUS HERB ALPERT FAN
MARTIN J COVAIS

George Burns famously said, “If you want to put on a great show, you need a great opening song.” This album, while it may not be a “great show” by TJB standards, is a decent album – but what it doesn’t have is a great opening song. It also doesn’t have a major tour de force like “Zorba the Greek.” It’s just a pleasant TJB album and no more.

It has lots of good “mid-album” songs. Tunes like “Robbers and Cops” and “I’m an Old Cowhand” have the old TJB fun feeling, and Herb’s rework of the Beatles’ “I’ll Be Back” is one of his most haunting arrangements ever. “The Maltese Melody” is probably the closest to another TJB “glory days” song, with its starts and stops, and mandolin work.

I’m with Harry when it comes to “Anna.” The song didn’t really grab me until a few years ago, either. Maybe it was its positioning on the album, or something, but it’s definitely in my top favorites from the album now. I like the marimba and percussion work on it.

I’m not a huge fan of “You Are My Life.” While I generally think Herb’s vocals are pretty good, here he gets drowned in the arrangement. A more spare arrangement like the one on “This Guy” would have worked better.

I totally disagree with the Captain on “I’m an Old Cowhand.” I think it’s a fun tune. Seems like there was a comedy segment of the TV special set to it, maybe that’s why I like it, being the comedy fan that I am.

I do agree with the Captain about “The Brass Are Comin’” though. I don’t know if it’s the sound of it (never did like the guitar sound in it) or the melody or what, but it is definitely one of the “bottom 10” TJB recordings in my book. The fact that it originally started off this album might have been key to the album’s commercial failure…it’s just not a good opening song.

As has been noted, when you download this album from iTunes, the songs have been resequenced from the original album version. I think the album plays better this way. The original opener, the title song, is now moved to the end (although it’s not a good closing song either), and the album now kicks off with “The Maltese Melody” which sounds more like the TJB we know and love. I don’t know if Herb had a hand in this resequencing (or if it was even intentional) but it works. Anyone who wants the original sequence can rearrange the songs in iTunes for playback or CD burning.

I like the Captain's idea of a CD/DVD version of this including the TV special. They could make it a DualDisc package. (Or how about a package containing this album and its special, THE BEAT OF THE BRASS and its special, and a disk of TJB hits with the first special. That'd be a cool package!

Now that I'm calmed down a bit I can add my 2 cents worth. I think the original sequence was superb. I also feel that The Brass are Comin, title song, if you remember the TV show ,was awe inspiring. The guys riding on the horses doing stunts & tricks, the sound of the hooves blended so exciting with the visuals, puctuated with Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Johnny Carson, & Lorne Greene all calling out...The Brass Are Comin!!!
Unforgetable! Title song SHOULD be in number one spot. Why mess with it?? Goodmorning Mr Sunshine, words can't describe how beautiful this song is. Leave it at number 2!!. The more I think about it the more I'm falling in love with this album all over again. I'm an Old Cow Hand has such a groove going on there I can get lost in it. Sunny, some of Nicks best handywork on those cymbols. Sounds like 2 drummers when we all know its only Nick. Robbers & Cops, just a really cool song along with Anna.
MoonRiver only gets BETTER when the Brass comes in. Cool, understated, and refined.
I can go on & on on this WINNING ALBUM

Every time I listen to this album, I feel like I'm listening to the end of an era. And that makes me wonder if the reason some of us are a little critical of this album is because it makes us feel a little angry because it IS the last real TJB album.

The TJB went out with a bang; a TV special and an album devoted to it...but it still went out. The arrangements here aren't any less original, it's just that the sound was getting "long in the tooth", and we all knew it. The Brass was becoming passe. And, it's hard to watch something so loved and admired start to die...what would we do without Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass?

And, this was a very difficult time in Herb's life...his marriage was over, the sound was getting thin, and touring wasn't fun anymore. Also, the album wasn't selling...it was time to break up the act. That this album is as good as it is, is a major achievement...and it's really pretty good!

I don't see this album as much of anything but a soundtrack from the TV special... the country tracks have their place in that context. The more traditional tracks, like ANNA and MOMENTS, are among some of the most beautiful of their particular kind. I've always considered MOMENTS to be one of the most beautiful songs that John Pisano ever wrote. I'LL BE BACK is the requisite Beatles' tune, and the arrangement is most unexpected; a splendid example of Herb's talent as an arranger, finding a totally different and valid take on a classic. As for YOU ARE MY LIFE, well...it isn't his best vocal effort...Grusin's strings save it, IMO...sorry, Rudy...I couldn't see CLOSE TO YOU closing this album as well as this song, though.

The HAECO-CSG recording process adds to this album's woes, too...I never could warm up to that process, and it was abandoned rather quickly, as it should have been. The album always sounded a little "flat" to me.

But, it's a better album than it gets credit for being. I can't comment on the new mastering, because I don't have access to iTUNES at the moment; I DO have a quality CD from a needle drop[thanks, Richard...]. I don't listen to this album as much as I do some others, because it always makes me feel a little melancholy, especially during MOMENTS.

Dan

The title track is actually Edu Lobo's "Little Train of Caipira". (Hope I got the spelling right!) The version of Lobo's I heard also has the "train" motif to the rhythm section--Herb's version adds a banjo, but still keeps the train motif, reminding me of a steam locomotive chugging into an old west town.

NYCDguy said:
The use of strings, most notably in the vocal "You Are My Life," are a little too MOR for my taste, but they generally don't get in the way of the band.

I have the opposite opinion: Grusin's strings, as they sometimes do, walk all over the lead vocalist or instrumentalist. IMHO, strings should accompany the main act, not compete with it by interjecting riffs and counter-melodies where they shouldn't be. It's different than "Moon River", where the horns and strings are taking a chorus on their own. (Shorty Rogers, correct?) I still like "You Are My Life", and don't think the string arrangment is all that bad, but it could have been a little more subdued IMHO...

You have to look at this album as a whole. Different from some of his earlier albums, there aren't many singles here. You can't pick apart songs from this album. You have to listen to it all the way through to get its full meaning. That said, my favorite track is Country Lake. Many of the tunes here have beautiful melodies. Example: The Brass Are Comin, Good Morning Mr Sunshine, Moon River, Moments, You Are My Life, etc. And songs like Sunny, and I'm An Old Cowhand are what I consider a good group effort. All in all, I think this is one of Herb Alpert's better albums. Maybe because it wasn't that commercial, or whatever. It's got substance!

audiofile said:
You have to look at this album as a whole. Different from some of his earlier albums, there aren't many singles here. You can't pick apart songs from this album.

The way I grew up listening to the TJB: listening to this album, and all the others, all the way through was a given. I just got used to certain songs "being there" in their proper order, so I'd always sort of thought of these albums as a whole work rather than a collection of songs. I was not a singles buyer, nor did I own that many 45s of this music, so I've always viewed these albums of songs together as a unit. Maybe that's why the compilations never appealed to me that much.

For what it's worth, I do like this album. I can only barely remember the TV special that went with it, but the songs were always there on our LP, and that's what I grew up listening to. At this point, I've begun to see why some songs don't quite click as others do, but I'd never really thought the album was as bad as others feel it is. Not my first choice in TJB albums, but to me it's also significant as the "last ride" of the original TJB sound. And it wasn't too bad of a way to go out in style...

I have not yet downloaded these I-Tune files, but I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. First I'd like to say, that I loved the original "gate-fold" lp cover. Inside there is a fine collage of photos with images or out-takes from the tv special. I also loved the image in the center of the inner gate-fold where you see a wagon, and a very long list of people whom Herb thanks for helping him achieve his dreams. This is a cool liner note, albeit a long one.
As for the title tune: "The Little Train Of Caipira", if I'm not mistaken it is NOT by Edu Lobo, but by the great classical Brazilian composer named Heitor Villa-Lobos. He was very well known for taking classical motifs say Bach, and blending them with Brazilian folk sounds. (Ex: Bachianas Brasileiras) I like this tune. Edu Lobo also covered this song.
I happen to like Herb's singing voice very much, and "You Are My Life" is in my opinion better than "This Guy's In Love With You". Just an opinion. Freedom of Speech.... I pay my taxes! :) Now this is strictly my speculation, but I believe Herb was influenced by the late, great Chet Baker, another A&M talent, and a Jazz Icon. I believe Chet may have helped Herb decide to sing, not just play. I would love to know how right or wrong I am!
Good Morning Mr. Sunshine was recorded by that great Mexican composer, arranger, and pianist named Juan Garcia Esquivel. I am pretty sure he also composed it, and it was originally titled: "La Bikina". His version is quite good too!
Anna is originally titled "El Negro Chombo" and I believe it is a Cuban song. The Bob Crewe Generation recorded a fine cover of it, on the same LP where they included their smash hit, "Music To Watch Girls By".
I love "Moon River", and "Sunny". This album does have a "shotgun" approach to it, yes it does seem a bit like Herb is searching for his focus again. I also think the cover photo is excellent. Herb's album cover art has always been quite excellent. In fact, A&M had some of the best covers of that era, in my opinion. Jim McCrary, and Pete Turner, and the other photographers did fantastic work.
I know I'm "nitpicking" a bit about gate-fold covers, and photography, because one thing I truly dislike about the cassette, and cd format is the small size of the corresponding cover art. Nothing is perfect! Life is sometimes about trade-offs, and compromise. So I guess technological "progress" is not always perfect. This may derive from the fact that none of us "walks on water".... Me, I'm just a human "rice and beans"..... :wink:

Rico, was that Bob Crewe cover of ANNA done at a somewhat slower tempo than Herb's version? I heard a version of that song in a Mexican restaurant a few years ago that was done at a much slower tempo than Herb's, and was a kind of a sing-along. It was very effective, and seemed to be a more definitive version of the song, because it was done as a party song. Herb's version is more technical, and fun to listen to, but this version was a lot "earthier", and it worked for me...

Just wondering...

Dan

PartyRico said:
As for the title tune: "The Little Train Of Caipira", if I'm not mistaken it is NOT by Edu Lobo, but by the great classical Brazilian composer named Heitor Villa-Lobos. He was very well known for taking classical motifs say Bach, and blending them with Brazilian folk sounds. (Ex: Bachianas Brasileiras) I like this tune. Edu Lobo also covered this song.

Ouch! Yes, you're right. I've only heard Herb's and Lobo's versions.

To Dan Bolton: The Bob Crewe Version of "Anna" is not slow. That version you heard, sounds to me from what you decribe, as a version Esquivel recorded which has a "chorus" that repeats over and over near the end: "En Bahiao..... En Bahiao..." En Bahiao... Or In Bahiao, not sure.... But it sounds like that's the one you may have heard. I've always thought that A&M would have benefited by having a talent like Esquivel in their great "stable" of artists.

PartyRico said:
To Dan Bolton: The Bob Crewe Version of "Anna" is not slow. That version you heard, sounds to me from what you decribe, as a version Esquivel recorded which has a "chorus" that repeats over and over near the end: "En Bahiao..... En Bahiao..." En Bahiao... Or In Bahiao, not sure.... But it sounds like that's the one you may have heard. I've always thought that A&M would have benefited by having a talent like Esquivel in their great "stable" of artists.

Thanks. I'll check into that.

Dan

The arrangements here aren't any less original, it's just that the sound was getting "long in the tooth", and we all knew it.

Long in the tooth is right. I remember hearing this album for the first time and thinking how flat and uninspired it sounded. I sold it pretty much right away. It probably was the right time to pull the plug on the TJB.

With that being said, I'm still going to buy it and see how it strikes me today. :thumbsup:

Seems more like The Brass Are GOING...!!! :laugh:

And the "Country Western Theme" and "Outlaw Imagery" are a very good "newfound motif" for Herb Alpert & his bunch, enough that "I'm An Old Cowhand", "Robbers & Cops" and the one I voted on, "The Brass Are Comin', a/ka/ Little Train of Capria" seem to sound the best...

That said, the songs do double-duty as both Album tracks and a Soundtrack for his show (which still has me wondering if there are any Out-Takes and Additional tracks not included here--which AREN'T "Lost Treasures"...) and the best "show tunes" are "The Maltese Melody" (which I've had exposure to on Herb Alpert's Solid Brass comilation), "Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine", "Moon River", and the Beatles' "I'll Be Back", not to mention yet a couple other Herb vocals, "Sunny" and the little-known "You Are My Life" (which Frankie Avalon recorded and named a comeback-album after in the-'70's...)...

A sad, but fitting way to "officially" claim to what was really the TjB's "Final Say"...

Dave

Full disclosure: This afternoon I listened again to my old vinyl, then decided which of this album's tracks I would purchase. I was running out of money on my ITunes card!

I've always been ambivalent about The Brass Are Comin'. Although I had the chance to do so, I didn't purchase the LP back in the late 60s when I had the chance. Some years back I did buy it, Summertime, and Coney Island on eBay. I did tape, from my family's cheap TV speaker onto my equally cheap cassette player, some of the songs from The Brass Are Comin' TV special: "I'm an Old Cowhand," "Sunny," "Robbers and Cops," the live, studio–audience medley of TJB hits, and the track for the final credits ("The Sea is My Soil").

For me, a problem with this album is that it was neither fish nor fowl. Although a concept album of sorts—the Brass does country-western—the concept wasn't thoroughly carried through. Then and now, the album seemed to me primarily a tie-in for the television special: a music video in the days before there were such things. (Herb was always a step ahead of us.) But without the video, much of the music seems to me lackluster. Case in point: "Cowhand"'s rhythmic vamps, which were tracked to well choreographed saloon fights. Whoever on the forum suggested that The Brass Are Comin' be released on both CD and aaccompanying DVD had, I think, the right idea. From the start it was a multi-media project. And I wouldn't mind the guest appearances by Petula Clark one bit.

Listening again to the album today, I found it as uneven as I remembered it. So what? Very few albums in any artist's catalogue aren't. I downloaded my five favorites, not including "The Maltese Melody," which was available from one of the 90s compilation discs. I heard that song many times over local radio with my breakfast cereal, before going to school. I still enjoy it. "Moments" and "Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine" are wonderful arrangements, lovingly performed, a joy to the ears.

Finally, I voted for "Robbers and Cops": classic TJB sound, with Bob and Herb in call–and– response, and Julius in the background dancing around his tune with the help of some strong rhythm. As a kid, I copied Herb's arrangement into parts for a little band that I sometimes played in, or wished I had. Whether I'm now listening to the song or to a happy childhood memory, I can no longer distiinguish and couldn't care less.

I have to agree with Captain Bacardi - I don't know if I would describe Herb's trumpet playing as the "pits" but now I remember why I didn't buy this album, it sounded "tired." Herb sounds tired, the band sounds tired, it makes me feel tired hearing it! And I'm sorry but what is "Moon River" and "Sunny" doing in a Western Theme? Did I miss something here? Why not include "Dance of the Sugar Plumb Fairy?" And Captain is right on with "Moon River" starting out hot, it does but then the "TJB sound" drives it six feet under
I don't' believe Herb would pull any punches with his artists if their sound was not up to par -I have always held him to a high standard. This album missed it and that's okay! Not every album can go Gold.
But I will not apologize for being honest in what I consider a very disappointing effort by everyone.

david said:
And I'm sorry but what is "Moon River" and "Sunny" doing in a Western Theme? Did I miss something here? Why not include "Dance of the Sugar Plumb Fairy?"

The BRASS ARE COMIN' TV special bit about "Moon River" starts with Herb meeting John Pisano on the beach where Herb mentions that he and John like to work out new arrangements at the beach house.

HerbJohn.jpg

There, they start working on "Moon River" with Herb suggesting first that they do it like "Zorba". John complains that it's too hard to play and Herb again suggests a "Whipped Cream" rhythm. Again John suggests that it "doesn't quite work"

When Herb suggests a "shuffle", we hear the beginning of the track as it appears on the LP, with a slightly different Herb scat vocal. Herb then suggests that it needs a rhythm section and magically the instruments and players appear around them in this large room with the beach view.

Herb then imagines strings, and a bunch more players appear. As Herb's imagining this, we're hearing what he's thinking. Finally he suggests that they bring in a large brass section too, and the room is literally filled to capacity with a full orchestra decked out in tuxes, playing along.

Herb's final suggestion is "Maybe we should just record it with the guys in the Brass." then we see Herb, in studio, recording his part to the backing track. Cut back to the beach house and we see the full seven-member TjB with Herb and John. The rest disappear and we hear John Pisano's guitar as he finishes the song. Herb nods approvingly: "That's it!" and the sequence ends.

So the track on the LP follows this scenario pretty closely, making it a great TV tie-in track, but it's effects are lost on those who haven't seen the show.

Harry
...originally posted November 1, 2005 in this thread, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom