• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb's attitude toward tribute bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everybody.
I'm a new member, and I'm also new to online forums, so I'm doubly ignorant about this. I hope I don't click the wrong button and vaporize this website.
I have a question that I did not see addressed in previous posts:
What is Herb's attitude toward to the many TJB tribute bands that have sprouted up over the years? supportive? amused? neutral? annoyed? I'm putting one together, and I'd be interested to know if anyone has any information on this topic. Thanks!

I don't know what Mr. Alpert thinks but I think it's cool that you're putting together a tribute band. What songs are you planning to play and what is going to be your instrumentation? later..................Jay

7 pieces: 2 trumpets, trombone/percussion, mallets (marimba/vibes), guitar, bass, drums. I want to do as much of the repertoire as I can, not just the big hits. In fact, I kinda prefer a lot of the less well-known tunes.
The only reason we'd leave anything out is if a tune can't be done with our instrumentation (like Moon River, for example). And I'm not sure yet whether to include the tunes with vocals.
We're also going to do some Baja Marimba Band stuff, and maybe some Jobim tunes and other bossa novas from the early/mid 1960s.
Thanks, Jay.
I guess I didn't vaporize the website (yet).

I think we ought to book this guy to play at the A&M Corner Convention, if we ever have one. :)

I think Herb would be flattered at a tribute band that takes the music seriously. He doesn't seem to mind all the goofy parody bands, since they seem to be mentioned in every single booklet in the TJB reissues.

I don't think he really likes tribute bands at all. Many times he has mentioned how the copycat groups in the 60's were so unoriginal and that they just didn't get it. I can't blame him for that, really. After all, why would he want to listen to someone else playing "Lonely Bull", "Taste Of Honey", "Tijuana Taxi", etc. - especially if they are the same exact arrangement - when Herb is the one that made those tunes happen in the first place? It might be different if there were unique arrangements of these tunes, or if someone would write new tunes in honor of Herb.

Capt. Bacardi

I would guess that'd be the case back then, but now, he might feel differently and look at it as flattery. But who knows, eh?

I'd say the 60s imitation "rip off" bands would be looked down upon--they were mainly trying to turn a quick buck by stealing the same sound. OTOH, a tribute band at this late date may be considered an honor.

Peter Nero recorded a tribute album to Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass in 1967. On the back of the album Herb has this to say:

One of the highest forms of flattery in the music world is when a truly great musician such as Peter Nero thinks enough of your work that he will take the time to record some of it.
I feel deeply honored that Peter has chosen many songs that I have been associated with to feature in this album. Frankly, I would like to salute Peter Nero for his interpretation of these compositions.

Sincerely,
Signed – Herb Alpert

Although Peter Nero isn’t exactly an unknown tribute band trying to ride on Herb’s coat tails, I think it does give some insight into Herb’s attitude toward tributes.

BTW: I have this album and enjoy listening to it.

Regards,
Mike

I've never heard the Peter Nero TJB tribute album but I have the "Zorba the Greek" cut on another PNero record, and what a great piano solo!

A lot of the shows on the Vegas strip are tribute shows...Queen, Motown, etc. Maybe it's time to have a "Tijuana Tribute Band Show" on the strip doing TJB and BMB stuff with comedy and dancers. Sort of (A Tijuana "Blast") This could be something that Mr. Alpert could produce. He wouldn't have to play, but he could introduce new music,etc. Later amigos..........Jay

The following info is provided in case anyone else is interested in the Peter Nero Tribute LP.

Title: “Peter Nero Plays A Salute To Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass”

Released by RCA Victor (1967) in both Mono & Stereo “DYNAGROOVE” (I have the Mono version).

Side 1:
The Mexican Shuffle
A Taste of Honey
Spanish Flea
Flamingo
What Now My Love
The Lonely Bull

Side 2:
El Matador
Tijuana Taxi
Crea Mi Amor
Theme from “Zorba the Greek”
La Playa
The Work Song

Regards,
Mike

Here's some info on the Tribute album to Herb Alpert from Peter Nero's Website: (Unfortunately it is spelled "Albert" there; Yeah, I didn't correct it for that reason...) I used to frequently see it--not just under "Peter Nero", but even under "Herb Alpert", as well...

Peter Nero Plays a Salute to Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass --

Recorded at Webster Hall and RCA Victor's Studio A, New York City

RCA Victor (LSP-3720) 1967

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side I:

The Mexican Shuffle (2:15)
A Taste of Honey (2:46)
Spanish Flea (2:20)
Flamingo (2:43)
What Now My Love (3:42)
The Lonely Bull (1:54)

Side II:

El Matador (2:51)
Tijuana Taxi (2:02)
Crea Mi Amor (2:32)
Theme from "Zorba the Greek" (3:02)
La Playa (2:42)
The Work Song (2:20)

Dave

...all I need is "The Image"... :)

4haverstocks said:
What is Herb's attitude toward to the many TJB tribute bands that have sprouted up over the years? supportive? amused? neutral? annoyed? I'm putting one together, and I'd be interested to know if anyone has any information on this topic.

I can't say what Herb may or may not feel for Tribute bands. I can say that two or three years ago, an amazing band opened for Sergio in San Francisco at Bimbo's 365 Club. They are named "A Band Called Herb" and they are sensational. Matter of fact, I was witness to a touching moment between the band-leader and Sergio.

After the show, we were up in the dressing room when Sergio approched the band-leader and said, "What are you guys doing tomorrow night? You have a gig?" The band-leader answered, "No...we don't have a gig" (or something to that effect). With that, Sergio said, "How would you guys like to open for me up north this weekend? We'll transport your equipment and everything." The guy's face lit up, he beamed from ear-to-ear and accepted, thanking Sergio profusely. Sergio, in his usual friendly manner, told the guy that it was "just like the old days" with Brasil '66 opening for the Tijuana Brass. He added that he would very much like to bring that "experience" (I vividly recall his using the word "experience") up north.

And so, I guess (vicariously through Sergio), we can pretty much assume that Tribute Bands are cool in his book. Seeing as he and Herb are such close friends and colleagues, I would be willing to bet that Herb feels much the same way. Moreover, it has to be flattering to have a band recreate a sound you have loved and nurtured for so many years.

Good luck to you with your band - keep us posted. Let us know how it is coming along. You have the support of our On Line Community and we're interested...bring it on!! :D

Jon

Well said, Jon

A revival... yes, bring it on! Back to the future, with Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendes... damn, this is fun!

Wow! This is great! I really appreciate all of the posts and encouragement. It is my hope to create a band that is true to the unique sound and spirit of the TJB... not just playing the same notes. It's very eye opening to listen to the old albums of the cover bands from the 1960s (which are pretty available on eBay). Some of those groups are playing almost note-for-note identical transcriptions, but the music sounds so different, because they are not playing with the same feel.

Hey 4haverstocks, in what part of the country are you located? I'd love to hear your band as you get ready. (Plus I know a marimba player who'd love to jam with a TJB-like band :) )

--Mr Bill

4haverstocks said:
Wow! This is great! I really appreciate all of the posts and encouragement. It is my hope to create a band that is true to the unique sound and spirit of the TJB... not just playing the same notes. It's very eye opening to listen to the old albums of the cover bands from the 1960s (which are pretty available on eBay). Some of those groups are playing almost note-for-note identical transcriptions, but the music sounds so different, because they are not playing with the same feel.

I had thought of the idea of doing TJB-like arrangements for current popular songs, or songs that were hits after the TJB's heyday. That would probably be *really* unique! :) Of course, and just my opinion, no TJB reunion band would be complete without closing the set with a blistering version of "Zorba The Greek"...just be sure you have trumpet players who can double- and triple-tongue those notes! :D

If Herb were going to tour again, I think there might be a conflict, but if not, why not? After Artie Shaw retired, there was a Shaw tribute band. He kind of ran it from the sidelines. If you guys get good enough, Herb could have a ready-made TJB he could call on any time he wanted to front a band again.

I hope there would not be any reason for conflict... We're not going to be touring or making CDs or anything like that. We'll just be a local group, as far as I can tell, with a different name, doing mostly private gigs. I would think if anything, we might help to modestly spur local interest in the TJB. BTW, wouldn't that be a gas to get a call to back up Herb?
Thanks, Bob.

I always wanted to put a TJB tribute band together. There was one thing stopping me, I have no musical talent whatsoever.

I do have some ideas on what to put in the show. I share one with you because I will never have any use for it. If you do “Whipped Cream”, you can have on the stage a large reproduction of the cover set up on an easel. You will keep it draped in cloth up to the song intro. You will say something like, “…and now a salute to the most famous album cover ever. In fact we’re going to have a bit of an unveiling tonight by way of tribute for those of you who have never seen it…gentlemen, if you would please” The band turns to face the portrait and it is unveiled. Hit it with a spotlight if you have it. This is followed by whistles and catcalls from the band, BMB style. “Her name is Delores, how do you like her folks…and by the way fellows, shame on you, she was three months pregnant at the time!”

Creative idea, Bob! Indeed, the TJB Tribute Band that we saw in the City was sensational. It was one of those situations where if you closed your eyes, you'd swear it was the TJB -- they were that good. Apparently, Sergio thought so, too.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom