Herb's new single, PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ (June 25, 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed the video very much. The video it reminds me most of is "Diamonds" -- I just wish there were a couple (at least one) shots of Herb and his trumpet somewhere in it. As Steve said, a cracker commercial could be the next "big break" for Herb!

I trust you mean shots of Herb playing.....cause the man himself is popping up several times in the video.....

This song reminds me a lot of the dance version of "Jump Street" from years back. I'm really diggin' it. Can't wait for the album to come out.

Capt. Bacardi

I just wish there were a couple (at least one) shots of Herb and his trumpet somewhere in it.

Well... I can't verify that this is actually his trumpet... :wink:

puttin-on-the-ritz.jpg

This song is just so dang catchy it's insane. I haven't had a song lodge itself in my subconscious this much since "It's a Small World!"
Hi Mike-
The catchiness (is that a word?) for me is the truly, truly brilliant and unique phrasing of that melody from the genius of Irving Berlin. When Herb emailed me and asked if I liked that song and would I like to fool around and create some unique sounding dance track I firstly downloaded like a 1932 Fred Astaire version of the song to hear. Now I do not read music as I do everything by ear, so when I sat at my piano and learned that brilliant 1st part of the verse melody, like you, it became instantly lodged in my brain. All night and all day for weeks and weeks it was always bouncing in my head. I am really glad that you like the song.

I may be mistaken, but I think I hear some sampling of Rise in the song...?
Hi Steven-
Not sure what you are hearing? I was actually kind of there when they were making both Rise & Ritz and I can assure you 1000% that neither record used any samples. Every single thing I added to Ritz came from my voice and 2 hands. Everything that Bill, Hussain, Michael, Herb & lani did came fresh and new from them. Neither Herb or I have ever gone back to sample anything from Rise for use on a record. Of course Rise was sampled for Hypnotize.

Hi Everyone-

I briefly stopped by to see if you liked the new record and it appears, thankfully, that you do. Herb and I had a lot of fun making this as the rhythmic and melodic ingredients seemed to come together rather quickly. Both Rise & Rotation, back in the day, also came together rather quickly. It's always wonderful when you put a bunch of things together and they just kind of sound good. And,, I thought that Herb and the dancers created a really fun and unique looking video. For me, it's all about unc driving that bus... Anyways, thank you all so much for your support and I will try to stop by soon. I will also let Herb know what you all think. Thank you so much!!

Thanks for the input, Randy. For folks like us, who have followed Herb since we were kids, it is just so great to hear that he is still on top of his game. To me "Puttin' On The Ritz" is already a new Tijuana Taxi, Jerusalem, Rise or Diamonds, and you were instrumental in creating that...

- greetings from the (slightly wet) north -
Martin

Hi Randy! Isn't it interesting that without knowing that you did this track- I felt a "Rise" vibe coming from it. Fantastic job!
Just a side note-my Great Uncle, Henry Santry did this song in his vaudeville act back in the 1930's!

I trust you mean shots of Herb playing.....cause the man himself is popping up several times in the video.....
Yes! I loved all the "cameos" by Herb, L, you and the rest. And (being a filmmaker myself) I know how tricky that had to be to chreograph in a single shot. But that's exactly what I meant -- more shots of Herb playing...

--Mr Bill

Randy did such incredible work on the track - really made it happen......

Hi A&M Guy-
Geez glad you like the record. I didn't really do that much. Herb made it happen. I'm really a bottom guy. I make sure the rhythm feel thing is dancing. The percussion, drums, bass... When I'm all alone at 3am in my studio dancing by myself (not a pretty picture) I know that I've got something good. If I'm still sitting down, that means there is more work ahead... Really appreciate you liking the record!

Thanks for the input, Randy. For folks like us, who have followed Herb since we were kids, it is just so great to hear that he is still on top of his game. To me "Puttin' On The Ritz" is already a new Tijuana Taxi, Jerusalem, Rise or Diamonds, and you were instrumental in creating that...

- greetings from the (slightly wet) north -
Martin

Hi Martin-
Really happy to hear that long time fans like yourself really like the new record. Herb and I have not worked on a record together in 20+ years so hopefully there will be more as we truly have a lot of fun doing this. And yes Herb is still at the top of his game. I learn something every day from him and always admire both his song selection and the fact that he is always wanting to explore new ideas, new ways of working and new sounds. I appreciate your kindness..

Hi Randy! Isn't it interesting that without knowing that you did this track- I felt a "Rise" vibe coming from it. Fantastic job!
Just a side note-my Great Uncle, Henry Santry did this song in his vaudeville act back in the 1930's!

Hi Steven-
Your great uncle Henry had great taste and covered a great American song. Ritz was written in 1929 by Irving Berlin and released in 1930 for the motion picture Puttin' On The Ritz. It's been a huge song ever since it was released. As far as the 'Rise Vibe'; That is indeed interesting. For the songs I've done with Herb like Rise, Rotation, Beyond, and several others, I always approach them from the bottom up. The bass, drums, percussion, and rhythmic things have to ROCK. I always look for the funky little dance thing when creating a track or arrangement. Herb is always a top down guy as he goes right to the melody and chordal thing. I know that we create something special when we can get a beautiful and or fun melody up on top of a track that dances and is happy. The synergy ROCKS! Thank you Steven..

I find myself humming this melody all...day...long! It's an infectious record.

Will Herb drag Jerry Moss out of retirement to promote the record?! :)

Harry

I find myself humming this melody all...day...long! It's an infectious record.

Will Herb drag Jerry Moss out of retirement to promote the record?! :)

Harry

Hi Harry-
This is a whole new and different record business then any of us grew up in. The old ways of working records just do not work. We have some young Internet people working the record in alternative ways. People discover music in different avenues and in different ways then they did even 5 years ago. Radio for most people is a non issue. I can tell you that things move slower but we are making some huge leaps as a wide section of people seem to like this record.

It's good to hear that there is a promotional effort for "Puttin' On The Ritz". I believe it's one of the best things Herb has done in years, and my congratulations to both him and you on making this happen. Having worked in radio for thirty-odd years, I know how much that industry alone has changed, and I know that the delivery of music is way different nowadays than it used to be.

Harry

Pretty amazing how this song has been kicking around for 70+ years and Herb just recently "discovered" it and decided to record it. It would have even fit in the Tijuana Brass days.

The exposure on "So You Think You Can Dance" must have helped the promotion along quite a bit.

(Randy - you might not know this but "A&Mguy" is Bill Cantos!)

The new single and video for this song debuted, June 25 on Vevo. Who will be the first to see, hear and review?

Hi Mike-
I just want to let you know that we have a new "Ritz" video link without the Vevo commercial so you may want to post this link. See what you think. Hope that you are doing well.. randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom