• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

IN PRAISE OF JUAN OSKAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetijuanataxi

Just wanted to express my appreciation for the level of artistry on Juan Oskar's "Baile Buffet" CD which he sent me a while back. I wanted Juan to know it passed my car magazine test. By that I mean that when I load my car changer up, I typically put only those artists such as Herb Alpert, Olivia Newton John, Baja Marimba, etc. because I know I probably won't change the disc selection for a considerable length of time and want music I can enjoy even with heavy repetition. Well, I had Juan's CD on every car trip for close to 2 months and I did not tire of the music and in fact, became quite fond of some of the tunes. I love 'Baile En La Perla". Only recently I realized that Juan wrote that tune himself. I thought it would have made a great TJB tune although Juan does a great performance on it. I love the "Mae" touches on "Where The Boys Are". Both "Baile" mixes are great, though I would have loved an extended version of "La Llorona". I used to have Tish Hinojosa's version of that song and had forgotten how beautiful it is. Juan, I do have a question on "Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White". Are the Tejano and TJB sounding licks that complete the mix actual songs or just improvisational touches and what are their names if they are songs. On "You Siempre Estare" Juan's voice has a very Alpertesque sound as well. Also, I'm guessing that "Las Altenitas" is the Mexican title for "Gay Ranchero", correct? Juan, if you're reading this CongratuLations and bravo! for a job well done. Your disc has staying power to withstand heavy repetition and these days that is very rare. I especially like the way you blend Tejano and mariachi styles on the same track. I wish I lived close enough to jam with you. I think we'd have a lot of fun.

With respect and appreciation,
David

NP- Juan Oskar "Baile Buffet"

Yep, Juan does a GREAT job. He is a talented songwriter, singer, and instrumentalist.

The JAZZ, PIZAZZ(sp?), AND LATINO CD is first class.

Being a veteran of the "gigging wars" and a musician/trumpet player for the last forty years or so (I'm getting too old :cry: ) I think Juan is in a class with other professional recording artists, including ones that we discuss on the A&M Corner.

Makes me nostalgic for the good old days of gigging and performing in a band...:cool:

IN PRAISE OF JUAN OSKAR!!! :tongue:artyhat:

Yes, I also enjoy Juan's CD's very much! In particular, I have to wonder about, All Covers;--which doesn't HAVE a cover! :laugh: Seriously, the songs on there are well chosen and ingeniously arranged. I found my cassette of Juan (Jay Maynes) playing with Hal Blaine, too: Hal Blaine and his Monster Set / John Eth and his Monster Chops; also an excellent project!

Juan, "No Bull", You're THE BEST!! :thumbsup:

Dave

Jay's work features regularly on my "playlist" too. By coincidence, I'm listening to Jazz, Pizzazz (sp??!!) and Latino as I write.

Excellent work!

Stephen

Forgive me for jumping on the Juan Oskar thread a bit late here. Juan/Jay is not only a fantastic musician whose CD's are regularly in play in my car (and in the bedroom for those "special nights"), but he is also a true gentleman. I shall attest:

My attendance at the Wechter tribute was largely thanks to him, having come back earlier than expected from the war, and risking missing out on a ticket he graciously offered to sell me one of his spares. He generously gave it to me, gratis, night of the show. For that, mi amigo, I am forever grateful! Saludos Juan Oskar!!!

--Senor Guillermo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom