• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Janet Jackson - The Next Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

Well, it's been seven months since Damita Jo was released and as many have observed on this board, the game plan didn't go down as originally planned. A quick rundown of the facts:

Damita Jo debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200 and Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Albums Chart. The album was certified platinum in the USA and is slowly inching it's way towards scanning it's 1,000,000 units shipped to retail. The album yielded a few genre specific hits at radio but no major crossover smash (eg. "Just A Little While" #17 CHR/Top 40; "I Want You" #4 Urban AC, #18 Urban; and "All Nite (Don't Stop)" #1 Billboard Hot Dance/Club Play.)

So, I guess the question is what now? Ever since the BET Awards aired last June, where Janet ran through a much hyped yet anti-climatic performance of "All Nite (Don't Stop)", she's been missing in action (bar her guest appearance on Will And Grace last week and the Teen Choice Awards last month.)

Well, if Velvet Rope era history is anything to go by, I think all signs point towards Janet becoming the collaborator du jour over the next year in an effort to reacquaint herself musically with the public while gradually putting the past year behind her. For the uninitiated, let's rewind back to 1997/1998. The Velvet Rope was a #1 Pop and R&B album that yielded a number of radio hits including "Together Again" (#1 Hot 100) and "I Get Lonely" (#1 R&B/Hip-Hop), however, compared to her previous studio effort janet., the album was categorized by some critics as a commercial disappointment since it "only" sold 3 million units in the USA and charted only two Top 10 hits compared to the five Top 10 hits yielded by it's predecessor.

Well, faster than you can say "Oi vey LaToya!", Janet was back in the recording studio collaborating with everyone from Elton John ("I Know The Truth") to Blackstreet ("Girlfriend/Boyfriend") to Busta Rhymes ("What's It Gonna Be") to Ricky Martin ("Ask For More" recorded for an international Pepsi ad campaign) and a few others who I might have overlooked.

True, the only song which left an impression on the Pop/R&B landscape was the Busta Rhymes single, however, in heinsight, one must acknowlege these duets/colloborations played a shrewd role in marketing Janet's brand to a wider demographic while simultaneously extending her chart run after "Everytime", the final single from The Velvet Rope, failed to chart.

Will we be seeing a repeat strategy? It looks like it. Except this time, I think Janet would be wise to strictly focus on working with urban/hip hop artists since these types of collaborations seem to work best for her and are the most immediate in today's environment (sad but true). As if on cue, MTV News is reporting Janet has already collaborated with Chingy on a single entitled "Don't Worry" from his upcoming sophomore album Powerballin'. The set is due November 5th. I also recall reading a few months ago that Lil Jon was working with Ms. Jackson on a new track although I don't think that collaboration materialized since it doesn't appear on his upcoming set Crunk Juice.

Whether some people view these collaborations as a calculated attempt at remaining visible or a genuine desire to add some spice to her repetoire is up for debate. Perhaps it's a bit of both. Whatever the case, I am looking forward to seeing what "the next move" will be so to speak. Fortunately, Janet remains a relevant artist in both the Pop and R&B arena, therefore, I think a "comeback" (for lack of a better word) shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

I think Janet's lost the respect of a lot of people, and she obviously has none for her own fans, given the miserable publicity stunt she pulled a while ago.

I would disagree.

Her last album scanned approximately 1,000,000 units without major support from radio or MTV.

Besides, the public is fickle. One minute they love you, the next minute they hate you, and then they love you again. Just ask Madonna.

In my opinion, Janet has lost the spark and has substituted it for raunchy lyrics and raunchier photos.

I think the public, in general, are just plain tired of all the Jacksons and all the drama surrounding them. Between Michael's molestation charges and LaToya's outright goofyness the Jacksons have outlived their usefulness. If Janet wants to get back on top she's going to have to work for it instead of just going through the motions, as she's done the past few years.

BTW, 1,000,000 units isn't impressive anymore. If it's not triple-platinum then it's considered a failure.

Capt. Bacardi

I agree with mstaft. I also have to add that her use of profanity has always been incredibly clumsy. It's like she's just discovered it for the first time and she can't stop playing with it. She took an absolutely lovely song from her "All For You" album called "Better Days" and added the "S" word to the chorus for absolutely no discernible reason. Artists have used profanity in the past to add more emphasis to their anger. Janet seems to use it merely because she can.

The combination of Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, and Janet Jackson can still write a killer song. Jimmy and Terry's vocal arrangements are simply amazing in all cases (the acapella intro for "Come Back To Me" from Rhythm Nation 1814" is just chilling.) I hope they can collectively return to their muse before it's too late.

Ed

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
I also have to add that her use of profanity has always been incredibly clumsy. It's like she's just discovered it for the first time and she can't stop playing with it ... Artists have used profanity in the past to add more emphasis to their anger. Janet seems to use it merely because she can.

Her use of profanity is off-putting to me as well. It may have served a function in The Velvet Rope's "What About" (I don't particularly like the song, but at least the profanity in that seemed somewhat justified).
Her one use of profanity that unnerved me the most, though, is the completely pointless use of the N-word on "Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think ...)". I have a firm policy with myself of not buying any CD that uses the word [I know that might sound silly, but ...], so I was incredibly upset to have bought ALL FOR YOU and found the word on there.

Still, as clumsily as she seems to use profanity, I think the performer who takes the cake for the most completely gratuitous use of profanity in a song is Jennifer Lopez for "Play". Even my hardcore-rap-loving brother was put off by how completely unnecessary the profanity in that song was.

I agree that Jam/Lewis/Jackson can still a write killer song, though. Jam and Lewis are my favorite production team of the last twenty years, I think. They bring out the best in everyone they've ever worked with. Janet, Herb, Human League, Boyz II Men, Alexander O'Neal, New Edition ... someone should put out a package of all the Top 40 hits Jam and Lewis have written or produced. That'd be a seriously dynamite anthology. I love those guys!!!

Jeff F.

Why avoid a package that uses the "N" word if it is by a black artist? That's probably one of THE most used words in urban culture, and it is not offensive except when white people use it derogatively.

I agree with The Captain, a million seller these days is no big deal for a superstar artist. Janet is simply past her prime. She probably hurt herself by going headlong into the "slut" persona.

She had a good run. Might as well start shopping around for a Vegas deal (maybe she could fill in at Celine's theater when Elton John is done.)

Yeah, J-Lo's use of that those two profane words in "Play" was a little ridiculous but at least when she used 'em, she sounded like she knew what they meant. When Janet curses, she sounds like she doesn't even know what the words mean. LOL! It's almost funny to hear her curse. She sounds stiff, awkward, and...well...old.

Ed

mstaft said:
In my opinion, Janet has lost the spark and has substituted it for raunchy lyrics and raunchier photos.

IMHO, she "lost it" with the janet. album...that's when she had to turn to The Dark Side™ with the suggestive lyrics in order to sell product. Musically, her high points for me were Control and Rhythm Nation. Then like any artist who sees her popularity dropping, she has to resort to the cheap tactics to get people to listen. I have no idea how janet. sold, but I couldn't even care--I just didn't like it. Even the music wasn't as good.

Let's face it though: she's like any artist. She had her brush with fame, had a couple of spectacular selling albums, and now she's just coasting along. In today's era of poor CD sales, one million units is not bad at all. True, the record label may want to see two or three million sold to justify the money they paid to sign her, but to sign for that much, for an artist who's no longer at a peak, is just silly to begin with. No artist can go on for 10 or 20 years making multi-million-selling albums each time.

I'll also agree that being A Jackson™ these days is not exactly being in the best of company. :shake: Her brother just repulses people, and the guilt by association sort of carries throughout the family.

Captain Bacardi said:
I think the public, in general, are just plain tired of all the Jacksons and all the drama surrounding them. Between Michael's molestation charges and LaToya's outright goofyness the Jacksons have outlived their usefulness. If Janet wants to get back on top she's going to have to work for it instead of just going through the motions, as she's done the past few years.

BTW, 1,000,000 units isn't impressive anymore. If it's not triple-platinum then it's considered a failure.

Capt. Bacardi

I agree...

The title of the thread is Janet Jackson - The Next Move. The "next move" should be off the planet and into the Twilight Zone.

I'm one of those "general public" people who has had his fill of the entire Jackson group for a lifetime. I prefer either the Brady Bunch or the Partridge Family any day of the week - and always have...

I never did pay much attention to any of them anyway, but you almost can't help it when they are all over the place, especially Michael Jackson and all his antics. They've been around long enough, and to me, they are totally BORING. Their entire thing is a drag.

The sooner they are ALL gone, the better, IMO...

Into the dust bin of history...gone and forgotten... :thumbsdn:

Nothing in Janet's career has been the same since Rhythm Nation 1814... I bought her Control album and enjoyed it as much as Madonna back then... What she did with Herb Alpert, "Diamonds" is OK...

Like many of her contemporaries, there is little out there NEW for her to do, yet her Old Stuff is, well...OLD...!! Between trying to be "the Normal Jackson" and living down her "Superbowl Incident", it's time to Retire!!!

Dave

Hats off to Captaindave for his preference for Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch. I'd take them, and Edith Bunker from All In the Family over the Jacksons any day. In fact, I know almost nothing about the Jackson family save for what the television--which I've stopped watching for years--screams at me seemingly whenever I turn it on.

NP: Greensleeves from THE BRADY BUNCH CHRISTMAS ALBUM, 1970.

Steven J. Gross said:
Why can't performers fade out gracefully anymore?

Some performers need to quit while they are "ahead," so to speak.

IMO, it may have something to do with big egos, and thinking that they are important...and perhaps a miscalculation of their popularity. I think it may also have to do with the celebrity and pop culture that is America. Some of these people are very out of touch with reality.

Tastes in pop music are very fickle. Here today and gone tomorrow. The pop music audience is always ready for the next "big thing."

Captaindave said:
Steven J. Gross said:
Why can't performers fade out gracefully anymore?

Tastes in pop music are very fickle. Here today and gone tomorrow. The pop music audience is always ready for the next "big thing."

Vince Gill?

Dan, lookin' for THE NOTORIOUS CHERRY BOMBS...

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with performers being artists and needing to create in order to satisfy themselves...:wink:

Ed

The only problem is that they're not creating. They're desecrating the public perception of art, and, as we can clearly see these days, they're doing a damned good job at it, too.

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with performers being artists and needing to create in order to satisfy themselves...:wink:

Ed

That could be true IF the performer qualifies as an artist...

Circus monkeys might be considered "performers" - but artists? Well, maybe the monkeys ARE artists, if compared to some musical "performers"... And, there are some musical "performers" that could maybe take some lessons from circus monkeys...those "performers" would see a large improvement in their "act." :laugh:

IMO, one of those words does not necessarily go hand-in-hand with the other at all times...what I think some performers want to satisfy is their egos and their desire for money...

Points well taken, Seashore and Dave. There's very little actual "creation" happening these days. Everything seems to be slight variations on a very worn-out theme. Hopefully, something original will break through and this silly little cycle will end.

Ed

Ed--in some cases, pop music just seems to idle along for awhile, then all of a sudden there is a "new thing" that comes along and makes a splash. For me, it was the onslaught of the "alternative rock" music in the early 90s, starting with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. May not have liked everything they'd done, but it was a new sound and they breathed some life into the whole music scene. Disco was another "event" musically, although that just grew out of R&B and soul, and actually disappeared right back into it IMHO.

All we have now are older artists (like Janet "feel the love" Jackson) who are treading water creatively and trying to remain current, and newer artists (the boy bands, bare-midriff Britney clones, etc.) who are more "manufactured product" than anything else. It's all about creating the music portion electronically (synths, drum machines), and finding bodies that look good in music videos (since the singing can be pitch-corrected in Pro Tools).

It's no wonder I've been buying a lot more vinyl and going backward in time. Until a "next big thing" comes along, at least there is plenty of good OLD music to listen to. :)

Rudy said:
It's all about creating the music portion electronically (synths, drum machines), and finding bodies that look good in music videos (since the singing can be pitch-corrected in Pro Tools).

That's what did in the R&B scene for me. I'm a huge '70s and '80s R&B buff, but authentic R&B has died off big time in the last ten years, with just a few isolated exceptions, and a major reason why is exactly what you just pointed out: ProTools and way too much reliance on programming. Computers have been MURDER to the R&B scene.
It's to the point where it's near-impossible to find any R&B/hip-hop album with liner notes that list nothing but actual instruments. (If nothing else, I'd give anything to hear more new R&B releases with actual acoustic drumkits on them!) Even the albums that lean more heavily towards old-school R&B than modern hip-hop are still too overly programming-reliant. 9 out of every 10 R&B albums I hear anymore have liner notes that say almost nothing but "Programmed by ..." or "ProTools engineered by ...". It's made R&B - which is supposed to be the most soulful genre out there - sound so unbelievably sterile and soulless.

Jeff F.
NP: Ray Parker, Jr. "Let Me Go" [now that's more my kinda R&B!]

I'm obviously too old for this discussion, because I think of the Temptations, the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Drifters, Marvin Gaye, etc. I think sixties Motown. Also some of the girl groups from the early sixties. The Shirelles, the Dixie Cups, etc. I very much liked that sound and those artists...

Anything much newer than those turns me totally off.

Especially anything spelled R..A..P..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom