• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Janet Jackson - The Next Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually going to play the Rick James album they appear on...that funkified track, "Standing On The Top." Gonna get down with my bad self tonight! :D

Ed: which album had the longer version of "Standing On The Top"? Our radio station in town used to play a long version, and I can't recall if Rick James' LP or CD version had the short versions or not. (When Motown did the two-fers of a couple of albums, I know they'd sometimes substitute a short version vs. the original album version, like the DeBarge two-fer.)

The version found on the Temptations album, "Reunion" is the full version - clocking in at 9:50. You simply have to hear the full version. It's the coolest piece of funk I think I've ever heard this side of Lakeside.

Ed

P.S.: As an aside, the track is actually credited to "The Temptations featuring Rick James.

Captaindave said:
I'm obviously too old for this discussion, because I think of the Temptations, the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Drifters, Marvin Gaye, etc. I think sixties Motown. Also some of the girl groups from the early sixties. The Shirelles, the Dixie Cups, etc. I very much liked that sound and those artists...

Anything much newer than those turns me totally off.

'60s Motown was R&B's greatest moment ever, no doubt. I guess I'm just more into '70s and '80s R&B than '60s Motown mainly because, superb as the songs are, conglomerate-owned oldies stations really know how to wear the living heck out of the early Motown classics - you can get just a little bit numb to them after a while. [Although it is still quite a treat to play the same ubiquitous Motown classics at home on the original 45s. Even in less-than-great shape, they just sound so alive and so much better than they do on the radio for some reason!]

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Click on the "www." underneath my posts. Maybe that'll give you a little hope...:wink:

Excellent site! I've only ever been to three concerts in my life, and the Tempts was one of 'em [back in '88, I think it was; it was at an outdoor venue, and even though it rained harder that night than any other night I can remember, we all stayed, anyway, the Tempts still came out to do the show, and they really put on one heck of an unforgettable concert!], so the site brought back some great memories for me!

Jeff F.

I'm so glad you liked it, Jeff. R&B music has always been my major "jones" and the Temptations are as good as it gets for me. They were the epitome of class and vocal dexterity - though the current incarnation is nowhere near as good as the versions that operated into the early '80's. It simply gets no better.

Ed

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
The version found on the Temptations album, "Reunion" is the full version - clocking in at 9:50. You simply have to hear the full version. It's the coolest piece of funk I think I've ever heard this side of Lakeside.

Ed

P.S.: As an aside, the track is actually credited to "The Temptations featuring Rick James.

Did Rick James write/produce that "Reunion" album, or just the one track? I'm playing the version on the Rick James album right now--it clocks in at a tidy 3:51. Haven't played this thing in years!! Wow...a lot of the songs on this one got a lot of local airplay and, IIRC, the local radio station did play that 9:50 version of "Standing On The Top" a few times! It was a good funk workout. :)

"TempTAtions SING!" :D

Ah, you've got "Standing On The Top - Part 1". Rick James wrote and produced that one song from the "Reunion" album. The rest was produced by others. That song is the only one worth hearing because the rest of the record isn't so good. It is also the only one that ends up on the group's compilations.

Ed

Thanks for the warning! :D I will search that one out the next time I hit the good used vinyl shop in town. I believe I meant to buy it many years ago, but it slipped my mind.

Akron Cap'n Dave said:
Especially anything spelled R..A..P..

I've always insisted "Rap" was misspelled -- they forgot the "C" at the front!

--Mr Bill
whose daughter fell for "correcting it" on a school paper once, much to my pleasure... Ain't I a stinker.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom