• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Jann Arden Covers Solitaire on latest CD and credits Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I just received Jann Arden's latest CD titled "Uncover Me" http://www.amazon.ca/Uncover-Me-Jan...9453660?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1173141198&sr=1-1

Jann has mentioned Karen before in some of her past CD's inside liner notes giving credit to Karen for her influence on her music.

I have always loved Jann's vocals, although very different from Karen's, she always sings from the heart. I actually didn't know she did a cover's album nor that she covered the Carpenters hit song "Solitaire" I was quite suprised and delighted in her version, her vocal delivery is different than Karen's but the instrumental is pretty much the original. It opens with what sounds like a little higher than Karen and the end when Karen goes low the word Solitaire, Jann sorta does the opposite. Jann puts her own into it and I am so happy to have this version, if you listen to just the piano and strings it sounds very much Carpenters. I think she did a great job on this and really brings out the sadness in the track much like Karen does.

Jann writes this in her liner notes about Karen:
Solitaire-This is the hardest song I have ever attempted to sing. It still makes me nervous to wonder what Karen would think of me doing what turned out to be one of her signature songs.......This song is what got me singing in the first place so it holds a giant piece of my heart in it's stardust tail.

Thank You Section:
I want to thank Karen Carpenter whom I still, to this day, think is the best contemporary pop singer of all time.

Cool. For those that may not be aware, Jann Arden recorded several albums for A&M's Canadian division.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom