Karen's Solo 'Singles' which would you have picked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The album came out on 10/8/96. The only way I knew about it was because I'm a member of the Clinic for Obsessives Collectors, as well, and was tipped off by another member of the same clinic. LOL>>

That was also the day I was hired for a new job in Chicago. I bought "Entertainment Weekly" at Midway Airport after my interview at the airport coffee shop, and read the pathetic review of "Karen Carpenter" written by David Browne on the train. And I was royally pissed at his snide remarks about the album, and of the intentionally horrid picture they chose of Karen looking so damned thin during the sessions. They picked the absolute worst shot taken of her. Very tabloid-esque.

New York Times Magazine also did a fantastic, in-depth article on the story of the album, and there were a few blurbs in the papers, as well. Aside from that, NOTHING.

A&M produced a limited number of posters for the album (which are now very rare), and they put out a press kit. Richard did nothing to promote it, other than write the liner notes (which were far from complimentary). Phil Ramone also did a radio show in 1989 that was aired in certain markets to promote "Lovelines", but that show was more of a Carpenters tribute than anything else. I wouldn't call this very limited promotion much of an effort.

Thinking of Karen's solo album, I was reading this interesting thread again. So many good thoughts and points made by everyone.

I have to agree with A&M Retro that her album was barely promoted, if at all. Certainly not nationally. The only reason I heard it was to be released was through the circle of hardcore fans. Once it was out there, there was nothing indicating it had been released aside from that horrible article in "Entertainment Weekly", as A&M Retro mentioned. I was upset by the article as well and felt it was mean spirited. It was a very slanted review. I usually keep everything Carpenter related, but I threw the issue out.

Having written in to A&M Records at the time, asking for her solo album promo material, I received the poster and the press kit. I was thrilled with the lovely photo of her on the poster. Did anyone see the poster displayed in any music stores? I sure didn't. The only other mention of the album that I saw at the time was in a very small review in Tower Records magazine. It was a favorable one. When "Love Songs" was released I saw TV commercials for it frequently.

From what I could tell, the general public and casual fans of the Carpenters had no idea that her album came out, or that's she'd even made one. This was evidenced a couple of years ago during one of Randy's book signings in Dallas. This particular talk and signing drew a sizable crowd that appreciated the Carpenters' music since the signing had been promoted at the store ahead of time. When Randy talked about Karen's solo album, I could hear several people saying that they had no idea of its existence. "Where can we get it?", they asked. Of course the answer was, "It's out of print, but you can find it used."

So, just wanted to add my thoughts about the lack of promotion. That CD cover treatment certainly didn't help its cause. While I'm among those who wish the album had more consistently strong material, I still think it had so much going for it, but no one behind it to show it off properly. In the end, it got a half-hearted release to satisfy the fans who kept asking for it. The fact that some of its better tracks had been released by Richard on "Lovelines" years before, took more wind out of its sails. "If I Had You" did fairly well on the Adult Contemporary chart in '89. I only wish it would have coincided with the solo album release.

From what I could tell, the general public and casual fans of the Carpenters had no idea that her album came out, or that's she'd even made one. This was evidenced a couple of years ago during one of Randy's book signings in Dallas. This particular talk and signing drew a sizable crowd that appreciated the Carpenters' music since the signing had been promoted at the store ahead of time. When Randy talked about Karen's solo album, I could hear several people saying that they had no idea of its existence. "Where can we get it?", they asked. Of course the answer was, "It's out of print, but you can find it used."

2 things come to mind....I can certainly understand the public & fans not even knowing about it "back then" 1996. I remember back then I would frequent the record stores almost weekly, always heading over to Carpenters section...then to find her solo album, I was nothing short of being shocked, with just the 1st track playing in my car still in the parking lot, I was like wow Karen is here again, it was that surreal. So back then I can understand but today...the complete digital age we live in...all one has to do it perform a search on iTunes or Amazon for Karen Carpenter and there her solo album is to download right now. Most of the public is downloading stuff.

Secondly, it makes me wonder what brought about the 360° turn of events that led up to finally getting her solo album released in 1996. Obviously we know that the fans keep asking and Richard finally agreed. However in reality, he could have just left this whole project tucked away forever. What "really" changed his mind that must have led to discussions with Phil about it's time of release. I guess all we really have are Richard's and Phil's liner notes inside. So much effort went into making the music (inside the CD) to the best of how Karen wanted it released, it would only stand to reason the outside would have received this same treatment. It's almost like the whole release got 80% involvement instead of 100%. 80 being the music inside and -10 being what looks like un-involved artwork put together and -10 for no promotion, especially from Richard. He may not have liked the project but if he promoted it on behalf of Karen the public would have known about it upon release and we all know how promotion does affect sales.

Karen's solo effort was so important on so many levels. I'm still as mad today as I was in 1980 when I found out it was being shelved. But today, knowing what we know, it's even more shameful it didn't come out as originally planned. It really could have turned things around for both Karen AND Richard....both professionally and in their personal lives. Talk about a lost opportunity....

Karen's solo effort was so important on so many levels. I'm still as mad today as I was in 1980 when I found out it was being shelved. But today, knowing what we know, it's even more shameful it didn't come out as originally planned. It really could have turned things around for both Karen AND Richard....both professionally and in their personal lives. Talk about a lost opportunity....

I totally agree. Richard may have thought it would be the death knell to Carpenters. By that time, no one was really checking for them anyway. It couldn't have hurt. I didn't know Karen so I don't know if she would have bothered with another Carpenters record had hers done well. However, it wouldn't have hurt what they'd already done. Still, I can't help but think that perhaps Richard knew if that record came out and did well, he would have lost his primary gig.

Ed

There's alot of strong opinions here about Karen's album-favorable & unfavorable.But,I can give everybody here a simply fact that speaks volumes about how people really feel about it:Karen's solo album was the bonafide worst selling(Carpenters) album ever-selling well under 100'000 copies in the US...

Nope. That'd be "Time". "Composer.." didn't do much either.

Ed

First of all, you have to remember that "Karen Carpenter" was released a whole 16 years after it's original intended release date. By that time a whole generation of people had grown up and not even heard of "The Carpenters", not to mention the fact that musical taste and styles had already done a complete 180. And, as several people had already mentioned, there was VERY little promotion done for this album. So it's really unfair to compare sales figures.

I had the opportunity to speak with a Mr. Garcia at A&M records who was in charge of the promotion department at that time. He was a very gracious man who took the time to hear my complaints about the lack of promotion - and he agreed with me! I remember he told me he was given a certain amount of money to promote the album and he did the best that he could with what he was given. The only example of advertising I saw was in a copy of Good Housekeeping magazine. There was a half page b&w advertisement for it.

I certainly belive that, had the album been released back in 1980, it would have done very well. Karen was still a huge name and artist in the industry at that time and she was working with a very well known Producer and Billy Joel's band. The curiosity factor alone would have been enough to spark sales.

I think what she really should have done was try and shop the album around to other labels - if that was something she was legally able to do. I feel very strongly that, had she done that, some well-known label would have immediately picked it up: Arista, Elektra, Warner Bros., Columbia, Geffen, or even a smaller label. It just needed someone to get behind it and promote it. If she were well enough she could have possibly done promotional tours, the Tonight Show, Today Show, Donahue, you name it.

Wow, that's never entered my mind, but Karen shopping the solo album to other labels would have been a stellar idea! Imagine the reactions of her brother and the powers-that-be at A&M. I'm sure contractual obligations would have prevented it, but it's a cool thought.

...depends on the timing but, if a single had been released prior to the album release:
Olivia Hollywood Nights Special April 14, 1980 with Karen performing her first solo single "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" as Blondie's 'Call Me' was #1 and Karen's ex was record label owner ironically. Also, "Off The Wall" was in the Top Ten. So what if disco was 'dead'. This would have been a shot in the arm to the public who would have stood up and listened. Gay and straight dance clubs would have eaten this alive also. My friend Drew was friends with Billy and Phil and there is definitely a 12" vinyl remix of this song. I heard it.
Then comes "Making Love In The Afternoon" . Does the period come before or after the quotation?
Whatever.
This brings us to late September, when the air cools in many parts, and the killer "Make Believe It's Your First Time" is released.
We have dance, pop rock and solid but clean balladry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom