Live at the Palladium

It's true that makes no sense why "I Need To Be In Love" was left off the album.

"Live at the Palladium" was originally released on vinyl, maybe that might explain why "I Need To Be In Love" was omitted from the track list.....@ 44' 46", they were pushing the vinyl time restrictions to it's limit.

"Live at the Palladium" was originally released on vinyl, maybe that might explain why "I Need To Be In Love" was omitted from the track list.....@ 44' 46", they were pushing the vinyl time restrictions to it's limit.

If that's true, I'd much rather they'd left off 'Warsaw Concerto' and/or 'From This Moment On' to give us what is a much prettier, well known song and beautiful performance.

If that's true, I'd much rather they'd left off 'Warsaw Concerto' and/or 'From This Moment On' to give us what is a much prettier, well known song and beautiful performance.

Could not agree with you more when it comes to the "Warsaw Concerto". I realise that it's a great platform to show off Richard's classical music talents.....but for me it was lacking a connection to Carpenters music.

I've never seen this Japan promo ad before, it looks like it must be for the album "Live as the Palladium" the inside photo looks like the album logo and while it's all in Japanese you can see the word LP. The ebay ad this promo ad shows up on says it's a promo ad from 1977 but since it's all in Japanese either it was to promote the LP back in 76 notifying the Japan readers to get it from the UK or this is a promo ad from 1991 since Discogs website says Live at the Palladium was issued in Japan in 1991 on CD and LP.

Anyone have more info or can read the Japanese writing? It's the only promo ad I've ever seen for this album.

Live%20at%20the%20Palladium%20Japan%20Promo%20Ad%201976.jpg~original

Could it have taken a few months for release in Japan? I bought it in album form in 1977 here in the U.S. as an import item. I played it all the time and thought it paired well with Passage as music to the windows of the genres showcasing Karen and Richard as not only solid but talented musicians, individually and as a group!
Funny looking back with memories of playing them on my parents Magnavox Stereo as I sat next to it! We have come a long way to how we enjoy listening to our favorite music. I now use the Apple TV with my entertainment unit using AirPlay from all Apple devices with speakers all around me!! Almost Heaven!!

I have a Melody Maker, November 20 1976,
The Front Page with Photos--Two of them--
of Karen poised (laying down) on the Motorcycle, and standing beside it.
These from the Palladium Concert.
This spectator is, and remains puzzled.
How did that help the image ?
My two cents, this was the wrong way forward.
But, that's only my opinion.
And, I echo the query--where is performance of
I Need To Be In Love?

And, I echo the query--where is performance of
I Need To Be In Love?

Not including this song on the Palladium album was the single biggest mistake they made when it was put out...unless the performance on the night of the recording was sub-standard for some reason (technically, musically or vocally). That's the only reason I can think of for its non-inclusion.

I really enjoy hearing Karen sing live. And backup harmony was not even needed for her voice was so inviting on its own.

I agree that "I Need To Be In Love" should have been included on the album as a replacement for "Jambalaya". Karen's performance of it for the New London Theatre broadcast was fantastic.

In this site's individual songs listing, it describes "Warsaw Concerto" as being an "album mix" instead of "live performance" like "From This Moment On". Was there a difference when the album was put together?

I've never seen this Japan promo ad before, it looks like it must be for the album "Live as the Palladium" the inside photo looks like the album logo and while it's all in Japanese you can see the word LP. The ebay ad this promo ad shows up on says it's a promo ad from 1977 but since it's all in Japanese either it was to promote the LP back in 76 notifying the Japan readers to get it from the UK or this is a promo ad from 1991 since Discogs website says Live at the Palladium was issued in Japan in 1991 on CD and LP.

Anyone have more info or can read the Japanese writing? It's the only promo ad I've ever seen for this album.

Okay, so my Katakana (abstract looking Japanese phonetic writings for foreign names and some foreign words) is incredibly rusty. I once taught myself how to read it, 'cause I wanted to know what some Japanese sheet said that came with an Olivia Newton-John CD. And although I could only read names and some general words it helped me a bit to find out what was written about her :) Japanese has the same character for our 'v'and 'b', and also one character for our 'r' and 'l', thus the name Olivia could be pronounced in Japan as Orivia, Olibia or even Oribia :D

Anyway, this is what I could read between the characters that represent whole words (I believe that's called hiragana or maybe kanji and the characters look more complex):
In the 3 lines right under the Carpenters logo:
......Carpenters show...!
.........Carpenters..
London Palladium.....Live...

Then in bold lettering it says: Carpenters Live in London (the words in katakana are seperated by dots)

Left of the picture in the middles it lists the songs, starting with Flat Baroque. Not all of it is in Katakana, so I can't read everything, but I did spot Fascinating Rhythm, Warsaw Concerto and Superstar. At the end I think it says Prelude, but I don't know what that refers to.

Right of the picture I can only decipher the following: .....Carpenters...London....Palladium.....Live "LP"....recording.....orchestra...... Carpenters show! ....Carpenters fan......request.........

Then after the first white square it says "cartridge" (I guess they mean 8-track??)
After the second white square it says "cassette"

Under the picture there are 2 lines. The first one has nothing in katakana, and in the second line I can only read "club" something, maybe club wallet or something (Where is Sakura? :) )

Then I see a familiar logo that says 100 Years of Recorded Sound 1877 1977. I've seen it on various LP's in second shops here in Holland that were released in 1977, so I'm pretty sure this is not an ad for the CD.

I haven't tried to decipher what it says next to the Captain & Tenille pic, but in the bottom dark banner, among unknown characters I can read King Record...

Hope this is of any help

Greg

This is an advertisement for LP (8 track, casette).
In Japan, this LP was released on April 5 1977.
The followings are English translations.
========================================
Let's listen to the newest Carpenters show!
Live recordings from a successful show
at the London Palladium.
-------------------------------------------
Carpenters - Live In London
(left side)

[Newest LP]
Flat Baroque/A Kind Of Hush/...
.../We've Only Just Begun

[*] GP-2030 (LP catalog number)

(right side)

(*) Live recording LP from the Carpenters show
at the London Palladium.
It Includes 5 new recordings.
The wonderful Carpenters show with the large orchestra!
This album is released for the first time outside UK.
because of enthusiastic requests by Japanese fans.

[*] 8 track Tape 8FZ - 3019
[*] Casette Tape AOF - 3001 D

<Bonus item> The first edition comes with a Color Booklet of the concert photographs !!
*It echoes in the blue sky and blue sea in California...
Captain & Tennille came to Japan and became immensely popular.
(*) New Single <Can't Stop Dancin'> April 5 on store
(*) New Album <Come In from the Rain> April 21 on store
(the seller: King Records)
========================================

They were close, but as we saw with "Christmas Portrait", Palladium could've still had another 15 minutes squeezed into it.

Richard has always treated the live albums as dirty little secrets. It's such a shame because they did sound great live, even if the set lists they chose left a lot to be desired and didn't change much over the years, Amazing that we got an ABBA live album a few years ago ----I wish we''d see the same for the C's - or an expanded version of Palladium,

Lotus, thanks for interpreting that Japan promo ad. I have mentioned before that I own the pickwick Cd and also the LP version however I never had any Japan version until I bought the recent Japan SHM CD.

I am just now realizing (thanks to your write up) that the Japan first pressing LP contained an 8 page booklet inside. My LP was not a Japan release so it didn't have one, neither did the pickwick CD. It wasn't until I bought the Japan SHM that I realized it came with this color pictorial booklet, so it appears the SHM is replicating that exact original first bonus edition from the Japan LP.

Thanks for the info!!

Sometimes, this version of From This Moment On is the one I go to, and sometimes I add it in several times in my playlist of songs in rotation from this album.
It seems to me, that when the Carpenters began they picked up the youthful sound of the 70's and, well actually helped create it. In the years that followed they developed into a more refined ballad type classic sound with ambitious accompaniments, so the simplicity vs complexity of From This Moment On, although not a hit, fits into a perfect live performance for them - no back up voices, no other orchestration, just Karen at her best and Richard at his best. Not to mention that the vocal line Karen sings, holding her tonal center, is no easy feat on top of that Bach prelude. So, as a story in their talent development this song is a perfect showcase, as well as, just plain good entertainment in song. (Maybe it's why I prefer Make Believe it's Your First Time from the solo work - the simplicity - the intimacy created with just Karen as the focus on top of a simple orchestrated accompaniment.)

I'm glad you revived this thread as I love this album and wish I could have seen it live. Since I was not in London, but here in the States as a young adolocent this LP helped me admire their talents even more. As we approach the 50th year, maybe the extras not on this LP will one day be bonus material as suggested earlier in the thread. It's all worth a re-read!

I remember seeing the newspaper snippet advertising the upcoming TV screening of the New London Theatre show in early to mid 1977 during a woodwork / metalwork class. That afternoon, I arranged to watch the screening on my grandmother's black and white TV. (We didn't have a TV). I remember that on the night of the screening, I was disappointed with both the way Karen and Richard looked and sounded. :) I had never seen them on TV before. I didn't think the songs sounded as polished or as proficiently performed vocally as on the studio albums and felt it was a let-down. However, I obviously got used to the sound, because I used to listen to the 'Live in Palladium' album a lot. I definitely came to like most of the performances later. I bought the album sometime in 1977. I can't remember whether it was before or after the TV screening. Back in the 70s, we seemed to get US and UK product released about 3 months after it came out in its country of origin.

I remember that a DJ played the entire live medley on the local radio station at the time that a proposed upcoming Australian Carpenters tour was mentioned in music magazines at the end of 1977, as a sort of showcase for what The Carpenters could do. (He was obviously a fan and probably the one who gave the more obscure singles, such as 'Goofus', 'Jambalaya' and, later, 'I Believe You' lots of air play). I remember that on this occasion, he mentioned that he disagreed with the choice of venue for Carpenters which, I think, was going to be Apollo Stadium. He argued that the Festival Theatre, I think it was, would be more appropriate. Soon after this, we heard that the Australian tour wasn't going to happen, after all. I think the snippet about the Aussie concert tour in the music magazine that I saw said something like 'proposed tour' or 'rumoured tour', so maybe it never got very far into the planning stages - although strange that a venue was announced. I had forgotten all of this until I saw this thread.

I remember seeing the newspaper snippet advertising the upcoming TV screening of the New London Theatre show in early to mid 1977 during a woodwork / metalwork class. That afternoon, I arranged to watch the screening on my grandmother's black and white TV. (We didn't have a TV). I remember that on the night of the screening, I was disappointed with both the way Karen and Richard looked and sounded. :) I had never seen them on TV before. I didn't think the songs sounded as polished or as proficiently performed vocally as on the studio albums and felt it was a let-down. However, I obviously got used to the sound, because I used to listen to the 'Live in Palladium' album a lot. I definitely came to like most of the performances later. I bought the album sometime in 1977. I can't remember whether it was before or after the TV screening. Back in the 70s, we seemed to get US and UK product released about 3 months after it came out in its country of origin.

I remember that a DJ played the entire live medley on the local radio station at the time that a proposed upcoming Australian Carpenters tour was mentioned in music magazines at the end of 1977, as a sort of showcase for what The Carpenters could do. (He was obviously a fan and probably the one who gave the more obscure singles, such as 'Goofus', 'Jambalaya' and, later, 'I Believe You' lots of air play). I remember that on this occasion, he mentioned that he disagreed with the choice of venue for Carpenters which, I think, was going to be Apollo Stadium. He argued that the Festival Theatre, I think it was, would be more appropriate. Soon after this, we heard that the Australian tour wasn't going to happen, after all. I think the snippet about the Aussie concert tour in the music magazine that I saw said something like 'proposed tour' or 'rumoured tour', so maybe it never got very far into the planning stages - although strange that a venue was announced. I had forgotten all of this until I saw this thread.
What is it about us Aussie fans?. I had to watch this one on my grandmother's black and white TV too lol. I can remember the disappointment when the tour didn't eventuate, too. It was going to be a Michael Edgely promotion (I saw it promoted in the program for "The Greatest Cir us on Earth", which was also an Edgely show), so I think it was more than a rumour.

I can remember the disappointment when the tour didn't eventuate, too. It was going to be a Michael Edgely promotion (I saw it promoted in the program for "The Greatest Cir us on Earth", which was also an Edgely show), so I think it was more than a rumour.

Thanks for the info, John. I had never seen or heard anything else about the proposed Aussie tour apart from the magazine snippet and the DJ's discussion, so it's good to hear a bit more.

Do you remember how big "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" was in Australia around this time??

Looking back, it's amazing to think that colour TV only came out here the year before the New London show was filmed.

I guess there were other families like mine, who didn't have a TV or many other electronic gadgets. (We also used to generate our own power with a windmill). We had a couple of transistor radios and a little portable battery-operated mono record player with a heavy head and stylus that used to really plough into the records. This was the type of equipment that first brought the sounds of Carpenters' music to my ears.

Imagine how different the sounds are on the equipment of today. :)

Question — Carpenters Facebook page describes this album as “now deleted” — what does that mean? I know it’s out of print, but… deleted?

Back
Top Bottom