1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

How did you get into CarpenterS?

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by wolfi69, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JBee

JBee Active Member

Carpenters music have always been a part of my life...but really only at Christmastime. The original Christmas Portrait LP (and then CD) was a staple at our house. I never really heard them aside from that. My parents were fans of Elvis and the Beatles, the Carpenters not so much. Then after listening to some Carpenter Christmas music about 3-4 years ago, I decided to randomly find out more about about. Stumbled upon "The Karen Carpenter Story" on the internet and vaguely remembered it from when it first aired. I was transfixed, bad wigs and all, mostly by the music (particularly by THAT voice), and from there started listening to the entire Carpenters catalog one at a time. The rest is history.

natureaker and theninjarabbit like this.
  2. sammyj

sammyj New Member

I saw the TV movie many years ago and have recently seen a TV documentary.....I'm obsessed! I've bought books...watched endless YouTube videos.....its the only music I listen too x

3. I shunned them in the 70s though I knew from the release of Close To You that Karen's voice was "unique"(I was 13 at the time). I went on to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc...any heavy metal. It wasn't until recently, when "surfing" YouTube, I downloaded a video of The Carpenters 1971 BBC television special. I looked at a clip of Karen Carpenter singing Superstar. The song was performed so flawlessly that I thought it was lip-synced. After about 5 more viewings, I deduced that it was "live". This was the fall of 2015 and I have been "obsessed" with The Carpenters and especially the vocal beauty of the late Karen Carpenter ever since. I have now purchased a bunch of their vinyl albums on ebay and listen to them frequently. I am amazed at what I missed when I closed my mind to them in the 70s, and I appreciate what a beautiful gift their music was. Especially Karen, you just don't appreciate what you have until it is gone...

4. Carl

Carl New Member

I got into Carpenters music in 2005 just before I finished secondary school. I found a copy of Gold and when I listened to Yesterday Once More I was hooked. I found a book on Karen Carpenter and learnt more about what happened to her. I also managed to track down most of their albums. I listen to them every day of I can. I have various books and DVDs about the Carpenters too

Carpe diem likes this.