Live at the Talk of the Town (1974)

That's basically the same show I saw in 1974, with Skiles and Henderson, at the Opera House in Spokane.
Karen is a natural on the stage.

The greatness of this show aside for a second, her outfit is deplorable. She looks like she’s dressed in a pair of old-fashioned curtains. No wonder the critics had a field day. They complained at the time that reviewers only had a go at them for their image, but watching this you can’t really blame them. Even Richard has said as much himself.

She always seems to crack-up at the beginning of Johnny Angel "He's got something that I can't resist..." while she's looking at Doug Strawn. I wonder what that's about...Is it a face he's making, or some private joke between them?

Also, It's interesting that there was no initial applause for either Superstar or RD&M but there was for Goodbye To Love.

Very good resolution on this video Billy, thanks for posting! :)

Last edited:
She always seems to crack-up at the beginning of Johnny Angel "He's got something that I can't resist..." while she's looking at Doug Stawn. I wonder what that's about...Is it a face he's making, or some private joke between them?

Also, It's interesting that there was no initial applause for either Superstar or RD&M but there was for Goodbye To Love.

Very good resolution on this video Billy, thanks for posting! :)

Ok...they were people, right? So when Karen laughs I think Strawn just said something about "fun riding with him"...at the beginning during the dialog part...a sexual double entendre? :shh:

The greatness of this show aside for a second, her outfit is deplorable. She looks like she’s dressed in a pair of old-fashioned curtains. No wonder the critics had a field day. They complained at the time that reviewers only had a go at them for their image, but watching this you can’t really blame them. Even Richard has said as much himself.
Karen is probably at her peak during this performance, physically and mentally, ok she didn't get it right at the beginning of For All We Know, but to compare her outfit to "a pair of old-fashioned curtains" is totally unjustified. I guess you cannot please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard one might try.

Karen is probably at her peak during this performance, physically and mentally, ok she didn't get it right at the beginning of For All We Know, but to compare her outfit to "a pair of old-fashioned curtains" is totally unjustified. I guess you cannot please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard one might try.

Look at this from the perspective of other artists from the same time period: her dress sense and her outfits were terrible much of the time. I’m not going to make excuses for that statement - it’s what many critics picked up on and who can blame them looking back. A lot of her early 70s outfits have never pleased me; she deserved a hell of a lot better when it came to attention to their image and her appearance - this show being a case in point. They got it right by around 1975 as they got older and became more aware of their image and their sense of style matured somewhat.

P.S. I said it was a great show - you brought up the slip on the intro to For All We Know :)

Back
Top Bottom