• A Quiet Tear

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Taking Steve's idea to the next level... If you HAD to skip a tune from The Lonely Bull, which one would it be?

Vote!

--Mr Bill

No brainer here - "Tijuana Sauerkraut" is the worst thing Herb ever recorded.

Capt. Bacardi
...correcting the mispelling of "Desafinado" (not "Desifinado") online... :wink:

I'll go along with that. When I was much younger and studying German in school, the idea of "Tijuana Sauerkraut" was sort of clever, but it hasn't aged well with me. Today it just sounds bad.

Harry

Another vote for (against?) "Sauerkraut" here. I don't like real sauerkraut either.

Actually this is the only Brass album on which I dislike more tunes than I like.

How about the option of not touching a thing? Almost 50 years later, it's not time to re-write history. BTW, the album losing concept that spawned this idea is even more lame. :confused:

How about the positive approach, such as, what songs of that period could have been included that fit in with the rest?

Consider offering substitute tracks: "Mexican Drummer Man" in exchange for TS.

JB

Steve Sidoruk said:
...the album losing concept that spawned this idea is even more lame...

:laugh: Now that's an accomplishment -- to "outlame" my fellow mods' fave, the inimitable Steve Gross!

But you're right. I'll "re-word" it as "If you have to skip a cut when playing the album, which cut is it?"

--Mr Bill

We could always go out of sequence and replace TS with Freight train Joe...it's off-the-wall, but so is this threead...

Dan

I usually tend to shy away from "worst of" threads, tending, as Steve suggested to look on the positives. But I also see the value of these kinds of threads as conversation points.

Other than this album and perhaps VOLUME 2, I can't imagine myself doing much participation. "Tijuana Sauerkraut" just happens, IMHO, to be that much worse than the rest of the album.

Harry

I have to agree that Tijuana Sauerkraut is rather painful to listen to. Kinda embarrassing, really. You have to ask yourself, "what was Herb thinking?" Put it in the context of it being his first album. You can surmise he was in a hurry to follow up on the success of the single 45. He had no idea how famous he was about to become. He was still very much finding his niche at that point. Fortunately, he got TS out of his system before it "left a bad taste" in too many mouths!

Good point. Who knew? Even those of us who were on board early could not possibly have had a clue that the story line would be where it is today. Maybe the topic for discussion should be which tunes have held up over the years?

Or another idea would be, "which song do you like that everyone else hates?" I always thought 'Let It Be Me" was one of the more tolerable songs on TLB, even though I don't really like it too much.

I like "Saturday" by Carpenters too but I think a lot of folks put that one as the worst on that album.

I agree with the above theory that Herb was in a rush to get the album out. I also think there was still the idea floating around that he was going to be a one-hit wonder and the album was more of a cash-in move. Remember on the various interviews where he says he was encouraged to "Take the money and run" rather than make VOLUME 2. If not for him ignoring that advice, this site probably wouldn't exist!

I also like "Saturday", but the one that most Carpenters fans dislike is "Drucilla Penny".

Harry
...rambling this thread even further from its intended direction, online...

My choice was "Never On Sunday", though I accidentally hit "Mexico", instead...

Really, "Never On Sunday" is NOT much good as an instrumental; it really needs the lyrics...

I can see the "novelty" of it at least being included on Herb ALBERT'S Greatest Hits, as well as it being relegated to a '45', but to me, it's out of place, here...

"Mexico", however, seeing as how I ruled that out seems too predictable, but at the same time, does keep the "authenticity" of Herb's Am-er-achi, intact, so my checking it off is clearly by mistake...

So, in short, if we WERE to "rewrite history"--and I AM looking forward to more installments of this "series" to point out more "least-favorites", album-wise--then "Never On Sunday" is what I tend to skip, or want to "re-write history" and leave out, if not could LIVE without...!

Dave

--Driving this thread back to the direction of which it was intended, Online...! :wink:

I thought Juan Oskar said TS was a RANCHERA...I agree with putting Let It Be Me on the bump list, but Herb needed a ballad. Never On Sunday is interesting in that the TJB version became the most popular and most recognizable of any recording of said song in history. And it made it onto the Greatest Hits album.

Dan

Apparently Herb had different thoughts later about Never On Sunday, because whenever they played it live, it was always uptempo, and it really "grooved." Kind of like the difference between Winds Of Barcelona and it's alter-ego, El Presidente. And, they both were included it the medley of hits back in the hey-day of the TJB.

Steve S. is SO Right! After the earlier "Trading Herb" thread and NOW THIS? Man, things must really be quiet around here. Talk about grown men with too much time on their hands! :shock:

C'mon Herb & Lani how about throwing us a Vibrato date or two, or how about some news about the new album. Even better, how about some news that you guys will be joining Sergio for a couple of tunes at one of the upcoming Hollywood Bowl dates! :)

Help!

I agree with Cherry Street. With the conclusion of Herb & Lani's recent tour, we've had to make do with rehashing ancient history. Here's hoping Mr. Alpert & Lani have more for us!

NewVistaBrass said:
I agree with Cherry Street. With the conclusion of Herb & Lani's recent tour, we've had to make do with rehashing ancient history. Here's hoping Mr. Alpert & Lani have more for us!

I couldn't agree more! Do we want stuff like "Warm" ever to see the light of day on CD? Just keep up the inane, insulting threads like this and we will never see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom