My copy of Whipped Cream has "Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass" on the record label.

Pepe

I have only seen "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass" on the record label listed for this LP on Discogs, so I'm wondering if anyone else has one like mine.
I didn't see it listed on Discogs, but it has the Monarch ∆8769 etching in the runout.
I tried to post a picture but it wasn't allowing me.

I suppose it could be some sort of re-pressing. (?)

I have only seen "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass" on the record label listed for this LP on Discogs, so I'm wondering if anyone else has one like mine.
I didn't see it listed on Discogs, but it has the Monarch ∆8769 etching in the runout.
I tried to post a picture but it wasn't allowing me.
It looks like an early one, and the cover is most likely the one it came with originally because it has a number 5 on the back cover also indicating the Monarch plant. Thing is, I have never seen any printed with "and The" in the middle, even the later silver labels from the 70's-80's. Every single photo on Discogs for US releases has a Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass on the record label. Looks like I will have to post my own version on there unless some A&M historian can give me some info. It may be a rarity, which would be pretty cool.

Yes, it would be good to post what you have to Discogs, then we can all take a look at it.

I see that you've posted it as your avatar. It looks like the label matrix under STEREO, Side 1, and SP-4110 says (XT-119), but that seems wrong. In those days it would be LP-119 for mono or SP-4119 for stereo. Can you clarify what that really says.

I notice the A&M logo has the "R" in the lower right side below the bell of the horn I think it might be A Later Ochre pressing from the Early 70s or Late 60s the color of the later Ochre labels were a lighter more yellowish hue by the way Welcome to the club Pepe seeing you're a new member

Well, the label is now my avatar.
I see that you've posted it as your avatar. It looks like the label matrix under STEREO, Side 1, and SP-4110 says (XT-119), but that seems wrong. In those days it would be LP-119 for mono or SP-4119 for stereo. Can you clarify what that really says.
ST-119

I notice the A&M logo has the "R" in the lower right side below the bell of the horn I think it might be A Later Ochre pressing from the Early 70s or Late 60s the color of the later Ochre labels were a lighter more yellowish hue by the way Welcome to the club Pepe seeing you're a new member
Thanks for the welcome and for the info on the trademarked logo. I will get the 10X loop out and see what's in the runout.

The runouts are as follows:
Side 1 SP 4119 1AH ∆8769 (circled MR logo)
Side 2 SP 4120 1AE ∆8769X (circled MR logo)
This runout corresponds to Discogs [r15482802]

Kind of a mystery, I suppose. It's surely a Monarch with the Delta number. I know that those old Tijuana Brass records sold so extremely well that pressing plants were employed and churned them out many times over. I was recently loading in my many copies of GOING PLACES LPs to Discogs, and my variations are different from the ones already up there. In some cases, I wouldn't even know which pressings my copies might be a variation of.

Kind of a mystery, I suppose. It's surely a Monarch with the Delta number. I know that those old Tijuana Brass records sold so extremely well that pressing plants were employed and churned them out many times over. I was recently loading in my many copies of GOING PLACES LPs to Discogs, and my variations are different from the ones already up there. In some cases, I wouldn't even know which pressings my copies might be a variation of.
What's odd is that the etching is deep and pronounced on both sides like it was an early stamper. Even more confusing than Blue Note variations with pressing and label combinations. I'm, quite honestly, too lazy to create a new release so I listed mine with the aforementioned release, stating that my copy had the "and The" and the "R" logo on the label. The stamper is identical so a label variation doesn't change things. At some point it becomes an exercise in futility in the name of accuracy, especially with all of the inaccurate data that still needs to be corrected on the site.
Probably my biggest beef with Discogs is that people can list a single LP from a collectable and expensive box set for a small fraction of the price, and when it's sold it invalidates the worth of your collection if you have one in yours. Look at the min price for the MFSL Beatles Box for example. Individual ones should be considered a subcategory, like 12" EP's are.

Well, I'm nowhere near my collection at the moment, but what I can add off the top of my head - the A&M logo with the trademark first appeared on Sergio's LOOK AROUND album (SP 4137), so a later pressing after '67. Coincidentally, I just saw a YouTube video of this album - it had the A&M logo trademark, but was credited as Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass. So was it from a different pressing plant or maybe even a record club pressing?

Back
Top Bottom