• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Gallery in A&M Corner Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the differences in the labels very interesting. My favorite A&M ochre labels actually deal with the A&M logo rather than the typesetting or the color. For some reason, I prefer the larger A&M logos and like it when it's too big to be contained on the label of the single, as shown in one of the Carpenters examples here.
One thing I always noticed while growing up and collecting 45s was that there were always two different types of vinyl. There was a thicker brittle vinyl that seemed less prone to scratches but would wear out a lot faster if your needle was dull or tone arm too heavy. These always had kind of a rough or bumpy paper label, sometimes with noticeable bubbling. Then there was another more flexible kind of vinyl 45 that always had a smoother, shinier label. (I think the 3rd copy of "For All We Know" on the example shown is one of these.) These weren't as adversely affected by the worn needle and heavier tone arm and usually had a better sound quality, but even the smallest scratches were much more noticeably audible on these. They also had a sharper edge which would always end up tearing through the paper sleeve.
Were the different types of vinyl also the result of different record plants doing the pressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom