• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Herb Alpert release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I saw this on eBay, and it was supposedly released today - some kind of jazz compilation album with two Herb tracks:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00064VQTE/amcorne-20

4f_1_b.JPG

Did we know about this? Were these tracks released before or are they new?

Harry
...puzzled, online...

"Miles Mood" has been released before on the Summer Chill compilation CD - and this was in 2001. "South Beach" would be a new tune.

Capt. Bacardi

The Cd is on the DM Records Lable: The following info lifted from alllrecordlabels.com.

DM Records specializes in urban street compilations and genres such as Bass, Southern Rap, Old School, Latin Booty and underground Dance music. The South Florida label is responsible for several Billboard charting albums. Some key DM artists and include the Old School Players, and the production team of Bass 305 and the group Science. Roster: Old School Players, Drop City D.J.’s, P-Town Boyz, Bass 305, Quick Pick, Bass Alliance, Techno Bass Crew, I.Z., 808XS, Bass Syndicate, Jazz Nice, Le Tribe, D.J. Trippy, Dirty South D.J.’s, Le Zoo, Science

Got mine Friday night at Media Play in Saginaw, Michigan but actually, they did not have it at Barnes & Noble in Midland so I went to Saginaw instead. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I just received my copy of this CD today. On the back of the liner notes it says that "This CD represents the true interpretation of the Jazz feel of South Beach and the free spirit of South Florida". If this is true, then I guess South Florida is all in a haze from smoking weed. This is an incredibily dull album. The two tracks that Herb is on are pretty lifeless. His playing is okay, but nothing to write home about. "South Beach" is similar to the Brian Culbertson track that Herb was on, albeit more laid back. Herb mixes an open horn with the muted horn throughout. "Miles Mood" is a different mix from the Summer Chill CD, but not any better. Spyro Gyra's Julio Fernandez does the guitar riffs on both songs as well.

This whole album doesn't vary much with tempo or rhythm. It's also very sloppily put together. There's a cover of "Eleanor Rigby" that features Tim Walters on flugelhorn, but it's written as "Time" Walters on "Fugalhorn". Michael Zagar is the so-called leader on this album, but it's not a very good album - unless you're on Prozac. Save your money. :confused:

Capt. Bacardi
...disappointed, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom