Perry Como And I Love You So -- Fifty Years Ago

lj

Fifty years ago in 1973, Perry had a huge hit with his rendition of Don Mc Lean's "And I Love You So." Across the pond, it was an enormous hit for Perry. In the UK it went to #3 on their singles chart, and in Ireland it went to #2 on their record charts. He had similar good fortune in the USA--#1 on Billboard's Easy Listening chart. And Como's recording of And I Love You So got a Grammy nomination for 1973 Best Male Vocal.

I was going to post his splendid hit version of the song, but then I came across Ann Margaret introducing Perry and guitar legend Chet Atkins performing this song. Wow! All three were entertainment giants--that's for sure.

An undeniably great recording by Perry. I was 17 at the time, had pretty much written off Perry's generation, but, like "It's Impossible", "And I Love You So" was irresistible. Made it to #16 at KHJ in Los Angeles.

I don't know if you all know this, but Perry was one of Marvin Gaye's favorite singers! Yep, that's right! In David Ritz's excellent biography of Marvin, DIVIDED SOUL, Marvin admitted to this and also said that he emulated Perry's style of dress(wearing cardigan sweaters and the hats that Perry wore) He also said that he liked Dean Martin and frank Sinatra, but he preferred Perry more.

Wow, Ann Margaret was excuse the Brooklyn street vernacular, but Ann was Hot Mama!! She was always a beauty, but she really stands out here! And what can you expect but excellence from the great Chet Atkins? I don't know if you all remember this but Chet recorded a few excellent contemporary jazz albums in the mid 80s where he did duets with Earl Klugh and George Benson among others. Lj is right: back in the day, all three were giants in that era of the early 70s.

And what can you expect but excellence from the great Chet Atkins? I don't know if you all remember this but Chet recorded a few excellent contemporary jazz albums in the mid 80s where he did duets with Earl Klugh and George Benson among others. Lj is right: back in the day, all three were giants in that era of the early 70s.
I remember Chet's Contemporary jazz albums from the 80s I own just about every one of them from the 1985 Stay tuned album until 1990s Collaboration with Mark Knopfler Neck in Neck All on CD and Excellent sadly I lost track of him after those but those CDs are still a joy to listen to

Jazzdre was right--Ann Margaret was a beautiful sight to behold. She found immediate fame co-starring with Dick Van Dyke in "Bye Bye Birdie" and with Elvis in "Viva Las Vegas." Then she easily segued into dramatic acting roles, such as her work with Steve McQueen in "The Cincinnati Kid." In the 1970s she was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actress when she co-starred with Jack Nicholson in "Carnal Knowledge." And she was nominated for an Academy Award for best actress in the musical "Tommy." And of course her live Las Vegas shows were always SRO. In short, she was a show business triple threat--singing, dancing, and acting.

I do not remember which version of this song I heard first-Perry Como or Shirley Bassey. Both are great in my book.

Back
Top Bottom