• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Picture Disc release of WHIPPED CREAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHOLP11055&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special

November 25, 2008 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass' "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" was released in April, 1965, debuted on the Billboard Top 40 on June 12, 1965, and spent eight weeks at Number 1 on the Billboard album charts beginning November 27th. In all, the album spent 141 weeks in the Top 40, and 61 weeks in the Top Ten.

The Whipped Cream cover is considered a classic featuring model Dolores Erickson wearing only what appears to be whipped cream. The album produced "A Taste of Honey" which won a Grammy for the Record of the Year.

Herb Alpert is rightly considered a legend in the music business. With partner Jerry Moss, he founded A&M Records in 1962, creating one of the most successful independent record companies of all time before its sale to PolyGram Records, now part of the Universal Music Group, in 1989. The phenomenon that started it all was his hit group, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. With that outfit and as a solo artist, Alpert has sold more than 75 million records. He has earned seven GRAMMYs®, and has scored 14 platinum and 15 gold records in all.

Features:
• Vinyl LP
• Picture Disc
• Original front & back cover replicated on picture disc
• Mastered from original master tapes
• Contains "Whipped Cream" pin-up poster

Selections:
1. A Taste Of Honey
2. Green Peppers
3. Tangerine
4. Bittersweet Samba
5. Lemon Tree
6. Whipped Cream
7. Love Potion #9
8. El Garbanzo
9. Ladyfingers
10. Butterball
11. Peanuts
12. Lollipops And Roses

Harry

What an unusual release!

Picture disks were notorious for having bad sound quality back in the day and I'll bet this would be no different - would be cool for the collector value though. Also I've never heard of a pic-disk that replicated the front AND back cover of an album. Usually it would be the same on both sides, or some "exclusive" picture on the B side. Interesting.

Mike Blakesley said:
Also I've never heard of a pic-disk that replicated the front AND back cover of an album.

I have the picture disc of Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual and it uses the front and back album covers on the disc. Only have a couple of other picture discs and haven't looked at them in a long time so I'm not sure what the "standard" was back in the day. (Boy... the last part of that sentence makes me feel old! :confused: )

I don't think there really was a standard...if the album cover had just one good pic, that could be used on both sides of a pic disk. Or alternatively, maybe a previously-unused pic might be used. I had Heart's MAGAZINE which had the same picture on both sides. I don't think I owned any other picture disks but I did sell quite a few of 'em back in the day!

Mike Blakesley said:
What an unusual release!

Picture disks were notorious for having bad sound quality back in the day and I'll bet this would be no different - would be cool for the collector value though.

I dunno... 30 bucks seems kinda steep!

Tony

Just in case it's not understood, "Elusive Disc", the purveyors of this picture disc, is largely known as an audiophile source.

I'm pretty sure that this picture disc will be of two slabs of good, clear vinyl with the artwork sandwiched in between, as opposed to the old-style picture discs where the surface was noisy.

So that's why the high price. Special vinyl these days commands top dollar.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Aboutus.asp

Harry

Harry said:
I'm pretty sure that this picture disc will be of two slabs of good, clear vinyl with the artwork sandwiched in between, as opposed to the old-style picture discs where the surface was noisy. So that's why the high price. Special vinyl these days commands top dollar. Harry

I'm sorry, but I'm just not impressed. This smacks of milking the cash cow. And if I'm that concerned about sound quality, I'll settle for my Shout Factory CD, which sounds pretty darned good... at half the price!

Tony

Toeknee4bz, this release is obviously not for you. It is for the collector, particularly one with a high end turntable who thinks that a well mastered, well pressed LP played on a high end turntable/cartridge combination far surpasses even the best CDs. I'm one of those people, though I have all of the SF CDs as well. If you are not an audiophile or collector, then there's no benefit to this release for you. Your SF CD will suffice. But I know that there are several people at the Corner who will purchase the LP for one or both of the 2 reasons I mentioned.

David

I don't think most people buy a picture disk with the intent of playing it. I would guess about 90% or more of all picture disks are displayed, not played. I'd be curious to know how this one sounds though, given the premium vinyl and all.

thetijuanataxi said:
Toeknee4bz, this release is obviously not for you. It is for the collector, particularly one with a high end turntable who thinks that a well mastered, well pressed LP played on a high end turntable/cartridge combination far surpasses even the best CDs.David

For the record, I have every stereo vinyl release of Herb Alpert from THE LONELY BULL up through NORTH ON SOUTH ST., and mono vinyl releases from THE LONELY BULL up through SOUNDS LIKE, and I've recently ordered a mono vinyl copy of HERB ALPERT'S NINTH. The only remaining mono copy I'm looking for is BEAT OF THE BRASS. To my knowledge, this pretty well runs the gamut. And all of my album vinyl is in VG condition, covers mint-VG. Also have the AyM Discos NOCHE DE AMOR and BRAVIO releases. Plus I have every solo 45 from "Rise" through "Our Song", several TJB 45s, Alpert/Masekela's "Skokiaan" on 45, as well as the solo 12" singles of "Rise", "Rotation", "Fandango", "Red Hot", "Bullish" (Remix), "Bullish" (Monster Funk Mix), "8 Ball", "Keep Your Eye On Me", "Diamonds" and "Making Love In The Rain". (Looking for a deal on the "Beyond" 12" single.)

I think this more-than-qualifies me as a serious "vinyl collector." However, I never paid an arm or a leg for any of these releases, and they're all originals!!! Come on! Why is everybody trying so hard to promote this thing? If it were even 17.99 or 18.99, I might consider it, just to add to my collection. But 29.99? That's insane. But, hey. If you're put to a blindfold test and you can honestly tell the audio difference, then you win the argument.

Herb is and always will be my favorite musical artist. On a limb: I'm probably the biggest Alpert fan in Northeast Florida, but I don't worship him. And truth be told, I don't think that Herb himself would agree with the price... and you know he can afford it.

It's a specialty item, and priced as such. The economics of it are simple - if you think it's over-priced, don't buy it. No one is twisting your arm.

But in ten years, when one shows up on eBay for $600, don't complain here that those prices are too high!

Harry

You also have to keep in mind that this is probably a very limited run. That probability, plus the collectible nature, plus the high-quality ingredients, explains the price.

Not that the price is out of line -- it's not all that much more than a typical release. The new Metallica album came out recently and is available on LP -- standard vinyl, that is -- for $22.98 list.

Well, I guess I must be a rich man because $29.99 isn’t squat to me. Hell, if I was interested in getting one of those picture disks I’d probably buy two! One to play and one to keep sealed so that I could sell it in 10 years for $600.00 dollars on eBay.

All the best,
Millionaire Mike

$29.99 will barely buy a half a tank of gasoline these days.

Harry

Harry said:
$29.99 will barely buy a half a tank of gasoline these days.

Harry

Yes, and in 10 years we’ll need to sell the picture disk on eBay for $600.00 because that’s how much a tank of gas will cost by then.

Mike

OK, guys. Touche... You've made your point. It's all about investment. If you think it's gonna be worth astronomical amounts one day, fine. Maybe the government will do the next bail-out with the money earned! :rolleyes:

But seriously, though, Harry is right in saying that no one is forcing any one to buy it. Fair enough. All I'm saying is that from a current perspective, (IMHO) it's a rip-off. "Let me sell you this polished turd for one thousand dollars..." I could afford the 30 bucks (My restaurant bill usually exceeds this), but I think it's a bit foolish to pay 29.99 for yet another re-release of a 43-year-old album which is (Sorry, guys) losing popularity with the passage of time.

I do not wish to offend anybody here, as I sincerely enjoy chatting with all of you, but let's face reality here. As fans from our generations die off, the amount of newer, younger fans joining are nowhere near what they used to be. Sadly, half of the 18-25 year-old population out there has never even heard of Herb Alpert! So the reality check is: who's gonna pay that $600? It's the principle. I guess we'll have to "agree to disagree", and I'll leave it at that.

Miser Tony

I know what you're thinking... "I thought he'd never shut up." :)[/quote]

So the reality check is: who's gonna pay that $600? It's the principle.
The problem with collectibles, is you can't MAKE something into a collectible; it has to happen on its own. I doubt Herb ever thought his out-of-print albums would be going for hundreds of dollars in auctions when he recorded them all those years ago.

The audience that picture disk is aimed at will pay the price and be glad to do it. The masses wouldn't have bought it at half that price, because they either have the music already or don't want it (or don't want another copy, or just don't buy LPs).

One good thing might happen: The novelty of this pic-disk just might pique someone's curiosity and the music might get heard by some new ears. Stranger things have happened!

So from the description above, is this going to be a picture disc AND a "vinyl LP"? IOW, a two-disc set with a picture disc and a playable black vinyl LP version? The wording almost has me believing this, but most audiophile LPs sell anywhere from $20 to $40 these days for a single disc. This will be the best sounding version available, as long as they don't master it from the digital CD master (which some record labels do, taking the cheap way out). For this price, it should be straight from the analog master.

Yow for the price this is going for (and I have nothing against it in the $30-range) there is a lot'ta stuff you get...! And worth giving that One Play and a lot'ta DIS-play...!

The original version album made a real wide-spread impact more than 40-years-ago, so who knows? This could too!

C'mon, this could be a valuable investment...! Although no matter how much gas goes up, I don't think I would part with it...! :laugh:

Dave

SHOLP11055-Large.jpg

I would think it's just one disc.

Harry

This is a very interesting discussion, but I just have one question: what exactly is a picture disk? From what I've seen, it seems to be a record of some type, but how is it different from a normal record?

It's a record where instead of being on a flat black surface, the grooves are contained on a disk with a picture on it.

In the old days, the pictures were on the surface of the disk. I believe that nowadays they use two pieces of clear vinyl with the picture sandwiched inside.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom