• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Poll: What If Brasil '66 Reunited?

A Brasil '66 Reunion Should Include:

• Lani Hall, Karen Philipp and Gracinha Leporace

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Karen Philipp and Gracinha Leporace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lani Hall and Gracinha Leporace

• Lani Hall and Karen Philipp

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Lani Hall and Janis Hansen

• I don't care...I would attend a reunion of Brasil '66 either way

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I went with, "I don't care...I would attend a reunion of Brasil '66 either way." Of course, it would be wonderful to see Lani and Janis together again after so many years. Lani and Karen would be sensational as well. Having seen Lani, Karen and Gracinha in Monterey when I was a child, I can honestly say the three of them put on a great show. Then again, it is entirely conceivable that a Brasil '66 reunion could be composed of Lani and Gracinha on vocals. Regardless and whatever the combination, wouldn't it be great if Sergio and the girls reunited for a concert? I would be there in heartbeat!! :wink:

Jon

...wishing and dreaming, online...

I picked "I don't care..." since it wouldn't matter to me which of the ladies were present. Get all four of them -- the Brasil '66 heavenly choir!

Harry
...in pure fantasy, online...

Hard to say whether Karen would be interested in making another appearance, but I bet Janis Hansen wouldn't mind! :wink: That would be a lot of fun.

Jon

...still dreaming, online...

cakeicer said:
...Jon, don't you dare go without me!

Me? Go without you? Perish the thought!! If it happens, Shirley, you're there!!

Jon

...with dreams of making Shirley's travel arrangements, online...

wow! what a fantasy! i voted for all 3 girls. in fact you left a choice out!

what about all 4 girls?
why not?

each would take turns singing lead while the others sang background for her. can you imagine.

the show opens with daytripper, or a little help...

karen would do for what its worth and pais tropical

janis and lani would do their look of love duet

gracinha would of course do lapinha & your smile.

the lights go out and a screen lights up a beautiful nude profile
lying in a surreal landscape and everyone does a scintilating and extended fool on the hill, fiesta, and upa, neguinho.

all would do verimundo, an extra loooong verson with much dancing and vocal interplay.

after an intermission
lani would come out under a blue spotlight and do so many stars
the spot would turn golden and she'd do like a lover

then a sun would arise and flood the stage and the entire ensemble would do pretty world, mas que nada, Laia Ladaia, the frog and look around
ending the show.

ahh but the crowd is of course demanding an encore.
we hear a long long intro for ye me le starting up, while everyone reassembles. this is followed by for me, roda, dois dias and viola.

crowd goes NUTZ

the concert has been LOUD, beautiful (many colored lights and rear projections), and letter perfect.

well that's how my dream goes!
sigh

walt

Okay, Walt! You have me salivating at this point!! If God wills it, let there be a reunion of Brasil '66!

Jon

...wishing and hoping, online...

True story:

I discovered Brasil '66 when I was working a summer job in a combo photography / record store in 1966. Somewhere I made a wrong turn and ended up in the Army with an all expense paid tour of Vietnam. Part of my travel locker included 3 Brasil '66 LPs: the first one, "Herb Alpert Presents...", Equinox, and Look Around. They helped me make it through my "tour". A bit of song and sanity where there was little of either. Flash forward to 1976. I was working as a news photographer in Atlanta and a regular reader of New York Magazine. Somehow I noticed that Lani Hall was appearing at a NYC club that night. I actually considered flying up for the show but my desire exceeded my budget. (nothing new here...)

So, on a whim, I called the club, The Bottom Line, if my memory serves me, and asked to send a message to her before the show. I told whoever answered the phone of the joy she and B66 brought me during the war and just wanted to thank her. He asked me to wait a minute and after a brief wait, Lani was on the phone. She and I spoke for maybe five minutes and it really meant a lot to me. Still does.

If, by any chance, she happens to read this, I'd like to say "thanks" again. I finally got to see her when she appeared with the TJB in Kansas City during the mid-80's. Too briefly, but terrific just the same.

Now, how about that reunion?

Mike Parker
Fort Lauderdale

From what I'm told (I was all of ten-years-old at the time -- and fascinated with Karen Philipp!), I met Lani following a Brasil '66 performance back in '71. Although I have brief memories of meeting a really nice lady, I clearly remember meeting Karen, who signed my concert program.

Zoom ahead to when I was 18. I encountered Lani in a Los Angeles shopping mall. I was going up the escalator, she was going down. I screamed her name, she waited for me at the bottom and we had a lovely conversation. In the end, she sent me a lovely package of photos, autographs, etc., at home. I can't think of an artist as nice and kind as Lani Hall.

Zoom further ahead to the Julius Wechter event in Glendale about two years ago. Once again, there was Lani. She was nice as could be and looked radiant. Surrounded by Cornerites, she was, indeed, gracious and considerate to everyone.

And so, like you, I say, "Lani, if you're reading this, thanks so very much!"

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom