question about 45's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Song4uman

I would like to start buying 45's (singles) by the Carpenters. Is there a place to find out what the price would be? Like a list or buying guide?

JOnathan

Two quick things - search on e-Bay and if you can get to a Borders or Barnes & Noble, look for Goldmine or Discoveries - both are collectors' mags - tabloid size like the NY Daily News, but probably not so many pages any more. There are also pricing guides, which you might find in those bookstores.

Unfortunately, many who sell on e-Bay are selling home collections and make a guess at what the grading (quality) is. The collectors mags will have the grading categories listed. Be careful about those who just do a visual grading, rather than those who actually play it to determine it's quality. I'm sure you'll find prices all over the place, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Quality and rarety will drive the price, also does the record come with a picture sleeve, which will also bump up the price.

Good luck!

I saw a promo 45 of "Close To You" in MONO..... were those mono mixes unique or just s "fold-down" of the stereo version? Does anyone know?

There are a few mono mixes that have some differences, leading us to believe that those were dedicated mono mixes, but for the most part, Carpenters recorded their material in the stereo age. The mono mixes with the biggest differences tend to be the first single, "Ticket To Ride" b/w " Your Wonderful Parade" - and there are two different versions of the mono b-side!

Later songs were likely fold-downs from the stereo, although some have slightly extended fade-outs from their stereo counterparts, and even the folding down sometimes alters the mix enough that it sounds "different". Most notable is the emphasis of Karen's lead vocal, which due to the fold-down process gives her a more prominent position in the mix, with the instrumental backings not as prevalent.

Harry

One thing to remember (and Harry and Steve can correct me if I'm wrong), but many promo singles at A&M were pressed on vinyl, while the consumer copies were on styrene. Styrene does not wear well--unless it's handled with kid gloves, it scratches easily and wears even faster. I'd avoid any mail order unless it's from a reputable dealer, as Steve mentioned above. Feel free to ask here!

Find a few good used record stores in your area, and look through the 45 bins. You'll probably find most of the common Carpenters singles for a buck or two right off the bat, and then you can relax and look for the more obscure titles as you go. For the common titles, I've never seen them locally for more than $2 or so, since there were hundreds of thousands pressed for some of the titles. In other words, don't let some unscrupulous dealer tell you that "Close To You" is rare and worth $10!

Goldmine also publishes price guides...check your local library to see if they have a guide to singles, or check out a local bookstore for a copy.

Thanks for the info. This white label promo 45 of "Close To You" had that song on one side in MONO with a time of 3:40 listed and "I Kept on Loving You" in MONO on the other side with a time of 2:20 listed. I was curious if this was rare since usually promo 45s had the "A" side song on both sides - one in stereo and the other in mono. Unfortunately, it is a styrene pressing and my cartridge - an Audio Technica 440ML doesn't so well with many, but not all styrene 45s I have. I was curious if anyone knew for sure if these were dedictaed mono mixes or fold-downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom