• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Re-issue sales thus far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky1

I wonder how the sales figures stack up versus expectations from Herb and Shout Factory? I would guess that the sales from these first 7 or 10 will dictate the future of the rest of the catalog. I know that we are still expecting the Remix project and the Christmas cd, but everything else is "iffy". As we can see from the promo poster, at least the artwork is done for the Christmas cd, not even sure if we are that far along with the remix project yet.

Did we ever get a definite answer as to whether Shout Factory will release Vol. 2? Does Randy know?

I don't know that we'll ever know about the sales figures as these are often close guarded secrets. I sure hope that sales are meeting or exceeding expectations.

Michael H.

Did we ever get a definite answer as to whether Shout Factory will release Vol. 2? Does Randy know?

For those who need a recap, here is a thumbnail sketch of the developments:

- Randy said, in the beginning, that all of the albums will be released.

- Shout has a deal with Herb for the TJB albums and Herb's solo albums.

- The only reissues that have been specifically announced so far are the TJB's up thru CHRISTMAS ALBUM, excluding VOLUME 2, but the program is supposed to continue into next year, so that would indicate future releases. Of what, and in what order, we don't know.

- The remix project has been rumored for July and August but no definite date has been set.

- A box set has been rumored for the end of this year (via an article in ICE magazine, not from a Shout! Factory press release.)

- An ICE magazine article also quoted a representative of Shout factory saying future releases "remain to be seen," which indicates that they are still tweaking the program, probably based on sales.

- So far, at least, the only indicator we've had as to sales figures are the numbers on Amazon (and an appearance by WHIPPED CREAM on Billboard's Internet Sales chart, which is probably at least partly based on Amazon's sales), and that's not exactly a great barometer. (My warehouse rep said sales there were better than they expected.)

The moral of this story is: Buy TJB disks for yourselves, and buy for your friends, and encourage strangers to buy them.

If reissue sales are eventually regarded as disappointing, then a major reason for such a result would have to be put down to non-existent advertising/marketing.

To my knowledge, in the UK, there has been no advertising whatsoever and if I either did not possess a PC, or was unaware of this site, then I would be in the dark with regard to the reissue project.

The CDs also appear to be widely unavailable here and amazingly, I cannot see any of the signature series in the smaller HMV/Virgin/MVC stores in London (the HMV Oxford Street Megastore does have the series though).

Len

Well, despite a lack of advertising, I think the reissues are doing well... I'm just happy to have them and that I at least found about them here at A&M Corner makes a "word-of-mouth finding out" as good of an "Ad" as any...

Dave

lswilson99 said:
To my knowledge, in the UK, there has been no advertising whatsoever and if I either did not possess a PC, or was unaware of this site, then I would be in the dark with regard to the reissue project.

Len

Len

I agree. I'm astounded that there's no mention of HA or the reissues in any of the mainstream press here. I really would have expected them to have been picked up by the arts sections of all the main weekend papers. But it was ever thus! I remember how difficult it was to find any info in the 70's, 8o's and 90's..........

And yet HA's 96 and 97 UK concerts were packed. Just think what sales might be like if there was just some promotion here.....

Stephen

Stephen

I am beginning to feel that HA is almost regarding sales performance as irrelevant, otherwise greater consideration would have been given to promotional issues. The original tapes needed to be digitally remastered or eventually lost forever, so why not commence a reissue project.

This (and the fact that HA does not need to make a profit) is why I firmly believe that the entire catalogue will be reissued, regardless of sales.

Len

That would be a good theory if Herb were the only one with a stake in the program, but you must remember that Shout Factory is looking to do a bit'o'business on this too. If it turns into a big money losing prospect, they might not be so willing to go the distance. So again, I say: Buy those CDs! And encourage everyone you can think of to buy them.

I bought two copies of each and will continue to do so until the very last album that will be released by Shout Factory.
I encourage everybody to do the same. I'm positive, these albums will become collector's items in the future.

Like they sing in the song, "Buy 5 copies for your Mother"

What better gift is there to give someone than a Herb Alpert CD (of course my wife may not agree with that).

To increase the sales, I suggest Shout Factory should distribute these reissues through popular outlets like Costco.

I remember when the program first started, a rep from Shout! said they were going to "hit people over the head with a two-by-four" with the news that these were out. So far, it's been more of a feather than a two-by-four, it seems. A big Wal-Mart campaign would be a good idea too. Oh wait, these disks aren't made in China so Wal-Mart probably isn't interested.

Mike Blakesley said:
To increase the sales, I suggest Shout Factory should distribute these reissues through popular outlets like Costco.

I remember when the program first started, a rep from Shout! said they were going to "hit people over the head with a two-by-four" with the news that these were out. So far, it's been more of a feather than a two-by-four, it seems. A big Wal-Mart campaign would be a good idea too. Oh wait, these disks aren't made in China so Wal-Mart probably isn't interested.

:laugh:

I would suspect sales are doing well. I popped into the local TOwer and local BEst Buy in the hopes that one may have jumped the dtreet date and I'd have three new CDs in rotation in my car. No such luck! But...

Last month Tower had about 30 WC&ODs, 10 each of LB, SOTB and LT. Yesterday there was two WC&OD and only one each of LB and SOTB and zip on LT. If I were to assume they never restocked and factor my tally frm the initial date of the first set of reissues (incl LT which technically isn't a reissue) that would mean this location sold 19 of LB and SOTB, all 30 LTs and 28 WC&OD.

Meanwhile over at Best Buy, they didn't initially stock up with as many as Tower, but when I bought my copy of WC&OD it was the last one and the cashier said, "wow, we're selling a lot of these today." It was Wednesday, the second day since the release, BTW. Yesterday there was one each of the first three in the racks and, if what someone once posted here about deciphering the codes on Best Buy's tags, they've restocked at least once with 5 more of each and were down to one.

So I say sales are probably very good.

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill wrote:
"that would mean this location sold 19 of LB and SOTB, all 30 LTs and 28 WC&OD."
Actually that doesn't prove they sold that many, some music stores stock extra copies of releases when they are new and then a few months later thin the display to what they consider a standard stock level. The remaining ones could have been sent to another location of the chain to help them make their standard stock level. Most music stores think that the majority of the sales on a new release happens soon after it's initial release, which is basically true if you follow the Billoard charts. So the fact they are not on display does not necessarily mean sales, but I hope you are right.

The store I work at (Fry's Electronics) carries LB, SOTB, & LT.....but I had to browbeat my supervisor to order copies of WC & OD. The guy is 22 years old and thought I was making the title up! Anyhoo, he ordered 10 copies and they were all gone within 2 weeks....

Sadly, I have yet to see June 7th's releases listed in our inventory.... :sad:

NJB

So hopefully you pointed this out to supervisor-guy and he's restocked by now, and maybe set up a Herb Alpert end-cap?

Most music stores think that the majority of the sales on a new release happens soon after it's initial release

This is true of new albums, especially rap and heavy-metal, but albums drawing older buyers can sell steadily for months or even years -- if the buyers know they're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom