Richard Carpenter's "Carol Of The Bells"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Has anyone else noticed the increase in the amount of plays that Richard's piano/orchestra version of "Carol Of The Bells" has gotten this year?

With all of the attention that Karen's recordings on the two Christmas albums gets, this is one that gets lost in the "discussion shuffle". It's actually a brilliant arrangement of the familiar choral work, and in fact, I always regretted that the multipart vocal arrangement didn't get the "Carpenters" treatment with multi-overdubs. Still, as it stands, it's a wonderful arrangement, and I'm happy to hear it more and more.

We were just in a supermarket where I heard it playing, which reminded me that I wanted to mention this before. I've also heard it numerous times this year on the Christmas radio stations, and even as backing music on the all-news radio station.

Harry :bigsanta:

On the day before Christmas Eve, our local radio station played THE CHRISTMAS SONG by Carpenters. :) :)

I was very glad to hear it, because Carpenters are not getting much airplay in Germany nowadays.

The most played Christmas song on German radio is LAST CHRISTMAS by WHAM, George Michael's former band, before he went solo. WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME by Paul McCartney and HAPPY CHRISTMAS(WAR IS OVER) by John Lennon are getting a lot of airplay, too.

Because it is featured in a tv comercial, Dean Martin's version of LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW is another Christmas favorite on German radio also this year.

Bruno
first snowfall in Germany today :bigsanta:

Hi everyone.
Harry's (again) totally right on. This track is always under-rated, yet after hearing only 2 seconds, you know IMMEDIATELY that it's RC's awesome treatment. And (being in retail) I always hear this tune and am amazed that so many people hadn't realized it is a Carpenters recording. :thumbsup:
Once again, Mr. C proves his rightful spot as my favorite pianist/arranger/producer and composer. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom