Richard with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
no1kandrfan said:
The interview is now posted at the NPR site - pretty interesting, although nothing new. It was interesting hearing his reaction on Sonic Youth's Superstar - touchy subject I guess :)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13.

I don't mean to sound like I'm poking fun at this, but the anouncer sounded like she said: Karen died of complications of an erection (!).
:bigeek:

I forgot to add, that Sonic Youth's version of "Superstar" was just plain awful to my ears.

Danny

Daniel - that's it! When I heard her say 'anorexia' it sounded very strange and familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. Thanks for providing the clarity - and a good laugh...

I loved this interview, thanks for the link. I enjoyed her because she kinda knew about the Carpenters and Richard always gets more interested and talks more freely with someone who knows about music.

What I love most about these types of interviews is that Richard talks about the song, like Goodbye to Love for example and we hear some tibits about it and then when it plays, you really appreciate the song more and you realize how perfect Karen's vocals were and how wonderful Richard arranged the track. Sometimes we play these songs over and over on CD but when you hear them on an interview with Richard introducing I always say WOW that WAS an amazing song.

I loved when Richard was describing the song NOW, it's cool to finally hear him talk about that song. "it's a pretty song, Karen sings it's beautifully"

I thought Terry Gross's comments about the Carpenter's music being "corny" were oh-so typical. In the end, it sounded to me like she wasn't quite convinced that what the Carpenter's created was golden. I was getting a little miffed at her, I admit.

On the other hand, I enjoyed hearing Richard's commentary very much. I didn't know he was so musically aware before he was even 5 years old.

Thanks for letting us know about this presentation!

I thought Terry Gross's comments about the Carpenter's music being "corny" were oh-so typical.

With such little time to interview Richard, I am surprised that the interviewer would waste any with 'her' take on Carpenters' music corniness quotient. I personally don't care what her opinion is and wanted to learn more about Carpenters and their recording processes.

I don't like she used 'corny', 'very corny'. I hoped that I would have misheard the word.

I love hearing Richard talking about songs!! I love Mom Carpenter and little Richard episode. I heard a couple of times before.

I may haven't heard Richard talk about "Now" so many times. I talked about video that my sister lent me before. I heard Richard talk about recording of "Now", it was February 1996, it aired in summer of 1996. Richard's eyes looked so sad that I can hardly watch the video.

In case you don't notice, you can download the audio file.
'40/40' Celebrates The Carpenters' 1969 Debut

[39 min 43 sec] on Fresh Air from WHYY

download

November 25, 2009 - It's been 40 years since the hit brother-sister duo The Carpenters signed with A&M Records and released their debut album, Offering. With top hits such as "Close to You", "We've Only Just Begun" and "Yesterday Once More", The Carpenters became the best-selling U.S. music act of the 1970s. Karen Carpenter died in 1983.

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the duo's 1969 debut, Richard Carpenter has produced a two-CD set called 40/40: 40 digitally remastered recordings of the duo's best-loved songs.

He joins Fresh Air for a conversation about the compilation, about his late sister and about their storied career.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120760959

Sakura

I was ecstatic to learn that Richard would be interviewed by someone! As mentioned here, much of the information was not new to Carpenters' fans. There was some disappointment with the topics and interview style.

With the lengthy (and interesting) discussion of "Goodbye to Love," I would have added the tidbit about the guitar solo that ended the song as well as the ensuing backlash from some fans worried that the Carpenters had gone "hard rock." But since the song wasn't played in its entirety, no one heard the ending anyway.

Had I been the interviewer, I would have inquired about what Richard has been doing in recent years and his future plans; even though readers/posters of this website have been so informed, those tuning into the show might not be. And Ms. Gross seemed to force a laugh on more than one occasion. She didn't seem that genuine to me.

Finally, I am a huge fan of the Carpenters since "Close to You." Clearly, Richard dropped the ball with his negative, ungracious response to Sonic Youth. The members of Sonic Youth love Karen and even wrote (at least) one song ("Tunic: Song for Karen") as a tribute. Furthermore, they were included on the tribute CD, "If I Were a Carpenter." Richard could (and should) have pointed out that all performers on this CD participated because of their affection for the Carpenters, and each brought a different perspective to the song they performed. Even if Richard "hated" Sonic Youth's rendition of "Superstar," he should have been diplomatic.

But to close on a positive note, it is great to hear and see Richard actually promoting a CD release in the United States. I hope we see more. I think he'd make a great guest on the Bonnie Hunt Show, for instance.

Hi all.

Not sure how many of you know this, but you can download Fresh Air as a podcast for free from the iTunes store. I download a lot of them, as I think Fresh Air is the best interview program out there...

They only archive them for a couple of weeks, I think, so you probably need to download it soon if you want to be sure to get it. I've burned a copy to CD so I'll have it in my collection.

David

Had I been the interviewer, I would have inquired about what Richard has been doing in recent years and his future plans

Good points. I love NPR but in the case of this interview NPR stands for
Not
Particularly
Relevant

I agree with most of the comments on this thread. Normally I like Terry Gross, the interviewer, but this was one of the worst interviews I have ever heard. A true sign of a good interviewer is, not only a person that knows and understands their subject, but also a person that is able to obtain new and interesting information - neither of which was accomplished here. ALL of the information contained in this interview has been available for YEARS and is common knowledge - to fans and non-fans. I was really let down by this interview.

I was a bit confused by the part about Karen's voice. How did she view it and did she know she had a beautiful voice....Richard seemed to have no clue about that part.

I would have thought, even though Karen was very humble, she KNEW she had a great voice!!

cam89 said:
I would have thought, even though Karen was very humble, she KNEW she had a great voice!!

Not entirely true. Speaking to several people who knew Karen, she knew that she and Richard made great, timeless records together as a duo. She knew how to use her voice as an instrument and was always perfecting her technique, but never "allowed" herself to see herself as one of the greats. That was always such a joy about her.
And if KC could tell us what she thought about all the great press about CarpenterS and her voice; I know she would be proud of their accomplishments but would probably brush (and Blush) off the vocal compliments. Now if you want to speak about her drumming, well she would've been much more game.

I wouldn't say it's one of the worst interviews, I think it's during these type interviews that we often hear Richard speak in ways we normally wouldn't have heard otherwise. I think we as fans always want this perfect interview, we are still looking for it, huh? I think at this point we should be happy Richard is even giving interviews.

I was also suprised that he really couldn't answer the question about whether Karen knew she had a voice. At first I thought he was just being modest but then I think he really didn't know how to answer it and that was sad and weird at the same time.

I also have a article written by Robert Seidenberg titled, "Richard Carpenter reviews his tribute album, this article ran in Entertainment Weekly (EW) Sep 16, 1994. It says that Richard agreed to let EW sit with him as he listened for the first time to If I were a C. He says this about Superstar by Sonic Youth...."I was told. You better be prepared, this is the strangest one on the project and yet the form of it is pretty much my arrangement, which I think is one of my best. They put their own spin on it. It's Beatlesesque--I can picture it being from the White Album. But I love it. From the heart. It's quite haunting"

Richard goes on to review each track. We all know how Richard changes his mindset as the years go by, sometimes he gets softer and other times he gets harder. He even said that he liked Dishwalla's version of It's Going to Take Some Time from this article more than the Carpenters. LOL imagine that.

I will say if you don't have this CD, they have some awesome photos of R & K inside.

Getting back to the voice. I believe that she knew she had a great voice, even if she may never have voiced it. A phenomenal voice! One the world had never heard before. I think though, she had vocal standards that were attributed to other singers she admired like Perry Como, Matt Munro, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Streisand. And so if she compared herself to them, they would win hands down. I will say, it is possible, with her comparing herself to them, that maybe she felt she WASN"T that great compared to them. I guess her talent was so natural, that I can understand why many in the 1970's, took her talent for granted.

But then, one of the problems she had, was that her mother didn't compliment her on her voice, and she needed to hear that! So on that part, she knew she had a good voice. But the world saw her voice as one of beauty, one of the GREATS!!

I also have that EW magazine article, and I remember Richard's comments from that time being far more complimentary to the artists who contributed to "If I Were a Carpenter." That's why I was so surprised by Richard's comments on the NPR show regarding Sonic Youth's rendition of "Superstar." And his comments on Dishwala's rendition of "It's Going to Take Some Time" were generous, and I also think they nailed it (despite the absence of Karen's awesome voice).

By the way, I just happened to check 40/40 at Amazon.com; Friday evening, it was ranked 49 overall at one point. And it's been ranked number 1 in the "Soft Rock" category for a few days. So maybe this NPR interview did a lot of good with regard to sales. And I think that would make us all "Happy!"

There was a warmth in Karen's voice that placed her high above her peers. For example, Streisand is a wonderful technical singer- but comes off very cold in comparison. Just my opinion, of course.

mstaft said:
There was a warmth in Karen's voice that placed her high above her peers. For example, Streisand is a wonderful technical singer- but comes off very cold in comparison. Just my opinion, of course.

I tend to agree with you completely. I enjoy listening to Barbra now and then (though I would never consider myself a fan), but she comes across as very "showy" with not much heart. Every song seems like a performance and not a heartfelt rendition, which is why her 'message conveying' is not convincing - she seems like she is merely singing content devoid of emotion and warmth. Impressive to listen to in terms of technique, but does not hit you at the gut level.

I always wonder thought what Karen thought of Canadian singer Anne Murray...Anne has been getting a lot of recognition about being a great singer, and especially on the success of her DUETS album...I believe Anne was on the same show that Karen was on...was it Make Your Own Kind of Music?

Jamesj75 said:
I also have that EW magazine article, and I remember Richard's comments from that time being far more complimentary to the artists who contributed to "If I Were a Carpenter." That's why I was so surprised by Richard's comments on the NPR show regarding Sonic Youth's rendition of "Superstar."

I'm not sure I follow: Richard was as uncomplimentary, if not more so, in this interview about their version of 'Superstar. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom