• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps around the time of the release of IF I WERE A CARPENTER, Richard forced himself to look on the positives and not focus on the negatives. With the passage of time however, it becomes "OK" to disparage something that was never really looked on fondly.

Harry

For those who feel the need to use "eye roll" emoticons and "don't follow," my simple point was that Richard was clearly more positive at the time of the release of "If I Were a Carpenter" (about Sonic Youth) than he was in the recent Terry Gross interview. Anyone can read the transcripts from both interviews and see the difference.

Also, if I were a long-time poster, I would refrain from using "eye rolls" in response to a new poster (or to anyone, for that matter).

First off - welcome to the A&M Corner, James. Sometimes when new people jump into the middle of a discussion, their first posts don't get properly recognized.

As for the response of newvillefan, I'll let him explain himself.

Personally, I was trying to convey that when IF I WERE A CARPENTER was a new product, Richard, perhaps under pressure from the label, felt it appropriate to say only kind things about it.

And that now, with the passage of time, and that album being a long-ago product, there's no need for those "kind words", and thus his true feelings can emerge.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Harry

Jamesj75 said:
For those who feel the need to use "eye roll" emoticons and "don't follow," my simple point was that Richard was clearly more positive at the time of the release of "If I Were a Carpenter" (about Sonic Youth) than he was in the recent Terry Gross interview. Anyone can read the transcripts from both interviews and see the difference.

I haven't read the transcripts (neither would I really want to spend time looking for them), all I was trying to say was your post seemed to infer that Richard wad complimentary about Sonic Youth's version at the time of release, when I understood that not to be the case. I wasn't referring to the EW article in particular, but more to the various press releases I'd seen generally, where he didn't really enthuse about many of the tracks recorded.

Jamesj75 said:
Also, if I were a long-time poster, I would refrain from using "eye rolls" in response to a new poster (or to anyone, for that matter).

The 'rolleyes' emoticon...not sure if you feel offended by it, but no offence was intended, I personally use it a lot and anyone who's been here for a while will know we all use the emoticons...principally because they are there to be used :)

Personally, I think Richard does not care what people think of him now. I think he has realized that he has nothing to prove to anyone. His musical legacy has survived and thrived for 40 years. If he doesn't like Sonic Youth's version of Superstar, it is his opinion and he shared it. I liked how he called critics of their music "morons" or something like that before the host cut him off (as she would be included in that generalization). That made me laugh. Go Richard, Go! Me thinks sometimes Richard errs too much on the side of politeness (he is ultra polite if ever you meet him which always impressed me). I get a lot of teasing for liking the Carpenters; fortunately, I don't care. I like what I like and no one is going to make me not like their music. In fact, I feel sorry for people who are afraid to like something because of what other people think.

In fact, I feel sorry for people who are afraid to like something because of what other people think.
I haven't cared what people think since, uhm, early 1970. Maybe even before that. Well said Geographer. Back then, where did all of those closet cases hide the albums? Today with downloads it is easier to 'hide' but Carpenters sold millions of albums. Methinks they protesteth too much. ( add eyeroll here, but not in any insulting way.)

Some may change, others not.

On April 21st Richard talked about missing chord in Top of the World performed by other artists at piano.
This summer when I posted about old articles, I read the EW article online. Probably the same article that was talked here. The date may be a month difference. Middle of October.
Richard mentioned something similar about Top of the World.

Off topic, fans sometimes talked about chord change in live version of Top of the World. Which chords?

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom