• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rise (with bonus tracks) coming to CD on 5/29

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldwax

Industry Member
http://www.shoutfactory.com/press/188/rise_herb_alpert_signature_series.aspx

Here's the press release:

HERB ALPERT & SHOUT! FACTORY TRUMPET THE RETURN OF
HIS CHART-TOPPING COMEBACK ALBUM

RISE

Latest Release in the ‘Herb Alpert Signature Series’ Debuts May 29th
Fully Remastered with Deluxe Packaging and Previously Unreleased Tracks

LOS ANGELES, CA – Shout! Factory, in partnership with music legend Herb Alpert, expands the label’s historic Herb Alpert Signature Series reissue program with the fully restored and remastered release of Alpert’s disco-infused 1979 masterpiece, RISE.

Alpert’s second artistic journey started with the release of “Rise,” a down-tempo dance single departing from Alpert’s signature Tijuana Brass sound. It climbed to number one on the Billboard charts and became the biggest hit of his career. Alpert also has the distinction of being the only recording artist to have a number one record as a vocalist and a number one record as an instrumentalist. Alpert and his talented nephew Randy ( Badazz ) Alpert who also co-wrote Rise, and co-produced and created an entire album around the new, laidback sound, and RISE – the album – was born, topping the charts and adding to Alpert’s already decades-long career.

Every album in the Herb Alpert Signature Series has been meticulously remastered under Alpert’s personal supervision, and the expanded CD booklets include new liner notes with reflections from Alpert himself. The 11 previous releases in the series include Whipped Cream & Other Delights, The Lonely Bull, Going Places, rarities collection Lost Treasures and many more. RISE joins the Herb Alpert Signature Series on CD May 29, 2007 with two previously unreleased tracks, for the suggested list price of $13.98.

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, co-founders of A&M Records, will be honored with the President’s Merit Award by the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences for their contributions to popular music. The ceremony will take place at a post-Grammy® reception on February 11, 2006 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

ABOUT HERB ALPERT
Herb Alpert’s celebrated career in music began over four decades ago, with early—and extraordinary--successes including his 1958 co-write, with Lou Adler and Sam Cooke, of the evergreen hit “Wonderful World.” Today, 75 million+ in record sales down the road, Alpert’s versatile talent is legendary. His myriad credits encompass triumphs as a superstar trumpeter and bandleader, label founder, producer, composer, arranger and vocalist…the latter, most notably for his 1968 #1 single with the now-classic track “This Guy’s In Love With You,” which was also the first #1 hit for the songwriting team of Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Among Alpert’s many music awards garnered over the years are seven GRAMMYs®, including Record of the Year/Best Instrumental Performance (Non-Jazz) for the ’65 Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass smash “A Taste Of Honey,” as well as Best Pop Instrumental Performance wins for the 1966 TJB hit “What Now My Love” and Herb’s 1979 solo masterpiece “Rise.” Alpert has also been honored with the prized GRAMMY Trustees Award for Lifetime Achievement, which he and longtime music business partner Jerry Moss received jointly in 1997.

In 1962, Alpert and Moss co-founded A&M Records, long the world’s leading—and largest—independently owned record label. The company was revered internationally for its artist-driven agenda, and acts that over several decades included The Police, Sting, Janet Jackson, Joe Jackson, The Brothers Johnson, Joe Cocker, Bryan Adams, Soundgarden, Supertramp,, Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66,, Cat Stevens, The Carpenters, Sheryl Crow, Barry White and Quincy Jones.

In many ways, though, in addition to being one of its founding fathers, Alpert was A&M’s signature artist. Immediately after forming the label, he introduced the Tijuana Brass phenomenon, which propelled him, and the A&M name, to global fame. By putting the trumpet out front, Alpert revolutionized the instrument as a pop radio staple with a trademark sound fusing Latin influences, jazz instincts, and unerring pop sensibilities.

Overall, Alpert recorded over thirty albums for A&M, with the Brass and solo, fourteen of them certified platinum, fifteen gold. He’s amassed five #1 Billboard Pop singles, and three of his recordings number among the historic GRAMMY Awards Archive Collection: All Time Winners (“Whipped Cream,” “What Now My Love,” and “Rise”). Alpert has produced albums for artists including Stan Getz, The Baja Marimba Band, Gato Barbieri, Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66, and his GRAMMY-winning wife, Lani Hall. He’s still as passionate as ever about music, and Shout! Factory’s 2005 launch of The Herb Alpert Signature Series, presenting deluxe remastered editions of his classic albums, is both a salute to the past and inspiration for the future.

Herb Alpert has also proved himself a true Renaissance man with endeavors in other realms. The same passion driving his musical genius equally informs Alpert’s incarnation as a visual artist, which for 35 years has paralleled his life in the recording and performing arenas. His color-saturated, abstract expressionist paintings have been shown in museums and galleries around the world, and his bold, fluid sculptures, from the miniature to the monumental, are becoming equally acclaimed. On Broadway, Alpert has produced celebrated works including Jelly’s Last Jam, Arthur Miller’s Broken Glass, and Tony Kushner’s Pulitzer Prize-winning smash Angels In America. Alpert’s ongoing philanthropy has garnered a host of awards, and for almost two decades, The Herb Alpert Foundation has underwritten funding in the areas of the arts, and education.

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss have donated a number of business papers, photos, promotional items, and recordings from the A&M years to UCLA, along with funds to catalog them, preserve them, and make them available to researchers as The A&M Archive.

ABOUT SHOUT! FACTORY
Shout! Factory is a diversified entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering and revitalizing the very best of pop culture – The Stuff You Grew Up On But Never Outgrew. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their careers sharing their music, television and film faves with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory’s DVD offerings serve up classic, contemporary and cult TV series, riveting sports programs, live music, animation and documentaries in lavish packages crammed with extras. The company’s audio catalogue boasts Grammy®-nominated boxed sets, new releases from storied artists and lovingly assembled album reissues. These riches are the result of a creative acquisitions mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. For more on Shout! Factory, visit www.shoutfactory.com.

# # #

RISE: Herb Alpert Signature Series
Price: $13.98 SLP
Release Date: May 29, 2007

Track Listing
1. 1980
2. Rise
3. Behind The Rain
4. Rotation
5. Street Life
6. Love Is
7. Angelina
8. Aranjuez Mon Amour (A-Ron-Ways)
BONUS TRACKS
9. Rotation (Alternate Mix)
10. Aranjuez (Mon Amour) (A-Ron-Ways) 2007 Dance Mix

My guess is that "Rotation" is the 12" single mix. This will be nice to have, if this is the case!

Rudy said:
My guess is that "Rotation" is the 12" single mix. This will be nice to have, if this is the case!

Definitely! I remember the 12" mix of "Rotation" got more airplay here in Austin than the 45. A little bit more of Herb's solo and the rhythm break in the middle. I'll be curious about the redone "Aranjuez". That was such a hot tune to begin with so this sounds like it could be fun.

Capt. Bacardi

I'd like to get excited about this reissue, but in light of the recent ITunes tease with the TJB albums, I just can't. Although I like this album, the other three, I think all of us would agree, are far more desired and should have been released first, especially since the've been remastered. I could have waited at least another year for RISE in lieu of getting the remaining TJBs done. Also, I'm not a big fan for bonus tracks on a classic album. Those two tracks should have been saved for LOST TREASURES 2

David,
feeling quite frustrated at this point............

Although I like this album, the other three, I think all of us would agree, are far more desired and should have been released first, especially since the've been remastered.

Please, let's keep things in perspective. RISE was a platinum selling, #1-hit-having, career-reviving, iconic album for Herb. The not-on-CD TJBs are the lowest sellers of the TJB catalog. It makes perfect sense to release RISE first. Remember... SALES (and sales potential) are what drives everything.

The most popular TJBs in the '60s are the most popular now. If you don't believe that, go to iTunes and look at which songs are the best sellers. Yep...A Taste of Honey, This Guy's In Love With You, and the rest of the hits. The ones that were obscure in 1969 are still obscure today.

Let's keep in mind that at least more of the music is AVAILABLE. It may not be in the format we all like, but at least it's out there, which is more than we could say yesterday. (On the other hand, if the albums HAD been released on CD, we'd all be griping about Josh Kun's liner notes about now, so I guess there's no pleasing everyone.)

However, Mike, RISE has been widely available in CD form for nearly 20 years. The three TJB's: Warm has never been available, and the other two only very briefly and with less than stellar mastering jobs. I'm not saying that they shouldn't re-release RiSE, lord knows I'll buy the re-issue,
but the other three and the rest of the TJBs would be the big news for most of us.

David

For most of US, yes. But there are a lot more people out there than just us Cornerites. Those are the ones they are trying to reach, along with "us." RISE might just turn out to be the best seller of the whole reissue program.

"Rise" has been out of print domestically for a few years now. And we do know that there are future CD releases planned through 2007 and 2008 but, at this time, we do not know any further details. Aside from the last couple of A&M albums, and the Almo Sounds releases, just about all of his solo catalog has been out of print for awhile. We can only wait to see what happens with the rest of the catalog. We'll post any information here as it becomes available. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to the new RISE. For me, that album just keeps getting better every time I hear it, and bonus tracks are - well - a bonus!

Harry

RISE is another one that I never bought on CD because I was sort of "out" of my Herb ALpert phase when it came out. (What the hell was I thinking?!) So I'm eagerly awaiting it too. I think it'll be like V2 and TBAC...I'll appreciate it more now than I did then.

I'm also stoked about this being released. I mentioned in another post where Randy Alpert said they were having fun going through these sessions, and if there's one thing we've learned about Herb Alpert over the years, it's that he goes with his gut feeling. I think that once Rise and some other solo albums gets released, he'll start getting more airplay on the smooth jazz stations, which could increase awareness about his music.

I'm wondering what will get released after Rise. This year would mark 20 years since his last Top 10 album Keep Your Eye On Me. And obviously Beyond, Fandango and Magic Man sold well. And hopefully, Blow Your Own Horn will include the bonus tracks of "Noche De Amor" and "Precolombino Sueno". A lot to look forward to!

Capt. Bacardi

In many ways "Rise"is Herb's most impressive accomplishment. To reach the top of the pop charts in 1979 with a trumpet driven tune is much more impressive than doing it in the sixties where "easy listening" and instrumental music was still in fashion. It will be great to get the reissue.

- greetings from the cold and snowy north -
(global heating...? not here!)
Martin

Tijuana Taxi wrote: "Although I like this album, the other three, I think all of us would agree, are far more desired and should have been released first".
I agree, because the i tune releases are unreachable for the fans living in Europe! I bought all reissues, but can not hear Volume 2, Warm and The Brass are comin'!
Please Herb, think about your fans outside America!

I can't wait for it either. The whole album is great, but four tracks stand out in my mind: "1980", "Rise", "Behind The Rain" and "Aranjuez". Can't wait to hear how those sound, as far as the remastering is concerned.

Antonio said:
Tijuana Taxi wrote: "Although I like this album, the other three, I think all of us would agree, are far more desired and should have been released first".
I agree, because the i tune releases are unreachable for the fans living in Europe! I bought all reissues, but can not hear Volume 2, Warm and The Brass are comin'!
Please Herb, think about your fans outside America!

.....and don't forget about the diehard fans in New Zealand. The three I-tune albums aren't available here either and I don't know anyone in America that can burn the cd's for me.........Patiently waiting for the Signature Series release of these albums :rolleyes:

I was looking at the Shout! Factory site and noticed this little change in the track sequence:

Track Listing*
2.Rise
3.Behind The Rain
4.Rotation
5.Aranjuez (Mon Amour) (A-Ron-Ways)
6.Love Is
7.Angelina
8.Street Life
BONUS TRACKS
9.Rotation (Alternate Version) (Andy Armer/Randy Badazz)
10.Aranjuez (Mon Amour) 2007 Dance Mix (A-Ron-Ways) (Rodrigo)

*This album has been resequenced by Herb Alpert for this reissue.

I'm guessing that "Aranjuez" and "Street Life" were flip-flopped so that the bonus version of "Aranjuez" wouldn't be soon after the original version.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
...I'm guessing that "Aranjuez" and "Street Life" were flip-flopped so that the bonus version of "Aranjuez" wouldn't be soon after the original version...

Unlike the Queen reissues of their albums on Cassette (which I bought 'em on) and CD which tended to have "remixed versions" of the last song or next-to-last song, as Bonus Tracks in close proximinity to the originals...

No matter, I "program 'n' shuffle" 'em, anyway! :wink:

Dave

That could also explain the resequencing of THE BRASS ARE COMIN' on iTunes.

I'm just glad it didn't say "modified" like on Lani Hall's "best-of" album.

It's an interesting re-sequencing, at least for me. Often when I listen to RISE, I'll get through "Rotation" and and then I'll skip "Street Life", "Love Is", and "Angelina", wanting to hear "Aranjuez". This new sequencing will do that for me automatically!

I suspect that the Captain is correct though, with the idea being to put more distance "Aranjuez" from its new dance version.

Harry

All I want is Fandango on CD. I wish they get more airplay, so people become aware of these songs. At least The Weather Channel plays "Fandango" once in a blue moon while showing us temperatures :twitchy:

I find ambiguity in this term "meticulously remastered" Couldn't this mean the Mastering of the recording since the Mastering involves the order selection of the tracks. It was mentioned that Herb changed the order. The other possibility could be remastering as in sonic improvement. And, if this is the case, does that involve a new mix, perhaps, or just sonic improvement. I would be excited if this record would be mixed again, maybe new instruments or subtle sounds would come up in the mix :goofygrin:

I find ambiguity in this term "meticulously remastered"
This is what is known in the marketing world as "puffing," as in to puff up the product to make it seem even better than it really is.

Since just about every reissue is remastered these days, it doesn't sound "good enough" to just state that fact any more...so they came up with "meticulously remastered," which is obviously much better than just plain remastering.

I doubt anything has been done to the mix, but you might hear some things more clearly just due to the improved overall audio quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom