• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rise (with bonus tracks) coming to CD on 5/29

Status
Not open for further replies.
The A&M Audiophile LP will be the version to beat, IMHO. If it's not compressed to crap or have the high-end jacked up, the new CD should sound good.

Well, now that you mention that aspect of marketing as "Puffing" yes, it is a marketing stragedy. It's like when car advertisers started using the word "pre-owned cars" over the long-retired "used cars" But this would be a new subject on another post, Rudy might say :wink:

I'm working on our order for 5/29 right now and I notice that RISE is at #5 among the top sellers at our warehouse! A placement on the Top Catalog chart in Billboard seems likely.

I have of course ordered RISE (c'mon you can't deny it was a landmark album for Herb and it's worth it for the remixes) but I would kill for CDs of "Fandango" and "Bullish". Well, perhaps not kill, since I could buy a CD of "Bullish" right now for $139.99 on GEMM....but you probably get my drift.

TonyCurrie said:
I have of course ordered RISE (c'mon you can't deny it was a landmark album for Herb and it's worth it for the remixes) but I would kill for CDs of "Fandango" and "Bullish". Well, perhaps not kill, since I could buy a CD of "Bullish" right now for $139.99 on GEMM....but you probably get my drift.

WOW!!! I bought a SEALED copy of Bullish on CD for $25 in 1999 and I thought that was pricey! I also found SEALED COPIES of "Fandango" and "Bullish" on LP for $3.99 at the old Rhino Store here in LA the same year! Man, $140 smackers. And who says Herb's later stuff isn't in demand by the public?!

BTW Mr. Currie, when are you going to make copies of you wonderful BBC Herb Alpert specials available to us Yanks over here across the pond??
Don't you think enough time has passed???????? :help:

CherryStreet said:
BTW Mr. Currie, when are you going to make copies of you wonderful BBC Herb Alpert specials available to us Yanks over here across the pond??

Time has indeed passed, Senor Street, but the Radio 2 series was made by Demus Productions for the BBC, and between them, they own the copyright. And as a humble broadcaster, it would be professional suicide for me to breach that copyright. Alas.

TonyCurrie said:
CherryStreet said:

Time has indeed passed, Senor Street, but the Radio 2 series was made by Demus Productions for the BBC, and between them, they own the copyright. And as a humble broadcaster, it would be professional suicide for me to breach that copyright. Alas.

That's a shame. :sad: I mean even NPR sells copies of their shows over here. Seems like a no-brainer to put some extra "pounds" in the bottom line.

make copies of you wonderful BBC Herb Alpert specials available to us Yanks

Hmm. They should put 'em on iTunes. :D

Tony - in the US, you could put those out after 28 years have passed (that's when the copyrights expire). What's the law in the UK?

sbsugar said:
I can't wait for Tuesday. It looks like us here at Fry's will be selling it for $10.99...sweet!

NJB

What a great way to end my four day weekend! Thanks for the tip.

I LOVE Fry's! I have two I frequent here in LA. The one in the Valley has an "Alice In Wonderland" theme with huge topiaries everywhere and my favorite is the one in Burbank that has a huge flying saucer crashed into the front. Inside it's like "Mars Attacks" with Army men and Jeeps. What a hoot. What is the "theme" of your store there in Texas?

CherryStreet said:
sbsugar said:
I can't wait for Tuesday. It looks like us here at Fry's will be selling it for $10.99...sweet!

NJB

I LOVE Fry's! I have two I frequent here in LA. The one in the Valley
has an "Alice In Wonderland" theme with huge topiaries everywhere and
my favorite is the one in Burbank that has a huge flying saucer crashed
into the front. Inside it's like "Mars Attacks" with Army men and Jeeps.
What a hoot. What is the "theme" of your store there in Texas?

I can't speak for the Texas store, but the one in Indanapolis has an Indy 500 theme. Many of the murals on the walls are photographs I'd never seen before, and I've been an ardent student of Indy 500 lore for over 40 years.

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
CherryStreet said:
sbsugar said:

NJB

I LOVE Fry's! I have two I frequent here in LA. The one in the Valley
has an "Alice In Wonderland" theme with huge topiaries everywhere and
my favorite is the one in Burbank that has a huge flying saucer crashed
into the front. Inside it's like "Mars Attacks" with Army men and Jeeps.
What a hoot. What is the "theme" of your store there in Texas?

I can't speak for the Texas store, but the one in Indanapolis has an Indy 500 theme. Many of the murals on the walls are photographs I'd never seen before, and I've been an ardent student of Indy 500 lore for over 40 years.

Dan

Glad to hear Fry's has arrived in the Mid-West. :)

rise04.sized.jpg

rise05.sized.jpg

rise06.sized.jpg

rise08.sized.jpg

rise09.sized.jpg

rise10.sized.jpg

rise11.sized.jpg

rise12.sized.jpg

rise13.sized.jpg

rise14.sized.jpg

rise07.sized.jpg

rise01.sized.jpg

rise02.sized.jpg

Well OF COURSE Steve has the CD early! :tongue:

I had forgotten that Julius and Abe both play on RISE. Herb never forgot his friends. It was nice to meet you at Vibrato by the way Steve.

The theme of our Fry's store is "live music", as Austin is the self-proclaimed Live Music Capital Of The World. There is a huge piano on top of the store, neon musical notes spread around, and on weekends we have a live pianist play. Also the big screen TV is the main entrance of the store is always playing a live-concert DVD of some sort.

BTW - I did some inventory checking for 'Rise", company-wide, and it looks like every store received 1 measly copy each. Come early on Tuesday morning!

NJB

hi everyone
I was at my local best buy here in brooklyn,ohio and the guy in the department told me they got 7 of rise in but can't put them out till tuesday
and they open up at 9:00AM
bob

That's a typo. Shout Factory has been notified and it will be corrected in the next press run. If you get one like that, who knows it might be a collectors item!

hi guys
i was just on ebay and there is a person selling rise with the added tracks
the cover does not look like the remastered so if you like check it out.
bob

I'd avoid buying anything before release day: most likely it's a promo, or advance copy that might not have the final artwork, or whatever. Promos are not supposed to be sold; funny how I can beg Shout Factory until I'm blue in the face about getting a promo copy to promote the CD here, and yet I hear about dozens of stores breaking release date and selling all the promo copies they receive, for which the label and Herb never receive a single penny.

Disgusting IMHO.

hey rudy
I did the same thing I email shout factory to see if I can get any promo posters or an autograhed picture of herb back in march yet, nothing. hey a quick question for any one, hearing some of the old tjb songs and we all know herb played his benge trumpet, but on rise the tone of his trumpet sounded different, so does anyone know if he played a different horn other than the benge? and if I read it right is there an error or something on the cover of the new rise. I must have missed it.

bob

Bob - the error is inside the booklet. The one mentioned here is on page 4.

most likely it's a promo, or advance copy that might not have the final artwork, or whatever.

Or - more likely - a bootleg that some crook has "left over" from when the album was not on CD.

Hey Steve, Thanks for posting the booklet of 'Rise". Lots of good stuff and information on it! Will probably buy cd at the end of the week, probably at Circuit City, or Virgin Records.

By the way, what did Herb(and Randy and Andy for that matter) Think of Puffy and Biggie's sampling of 'Rise' for their song 'Hypnotize'? Would like to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom