• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

ROLLING STONE "Greatest Singers of ALL TIME"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave said:
Well, for favorite male singers, then, it would be Bobby Goldsboro and Mac Davis...

Dave

Gino Vannelli, Glen Campbell, Peabo Bryson, James Ingram, Jim Morrison, Bobby Caldwell, Frank Sinatra, Boz Scaggs, Van Morrison, Freddie Mercury, Nat King Cole, Jeffrey Osborne, Lindsey Buckingham and Ron "Sweets" Townson.

good-bee-jeans said:
Karen Carpenter, #1
Robin Gibb, #2

It's hard to single out any Bee Gee, with the exception of Andy having gone solo his entire career... Barry, Robin, the late-Maurice and Andrew Roy, (who also passed-away) the Bee-Gee's were great...!

Dave

the Bee-Gee's were great...!
...hopefully I won't get dissed from this thread but I think that Robin Gibb would have been a perfect producer, writer, arranger for Karen in a solo effort. Maybe even a duet or two with his unique and yearning voice. My idea of the perfect match.

newvillefan said:
Dave said:
Andrew Roy, (who also passed-away)

Andrew Roy? You mean Andy?! :laugh:

Sorry, I seemed to have addressed Andy Gibb by his given-first and middle (I think...) name...

He had some fairly great hits and his romantic posturing and good looks did earn him a rewarding career... I especially like "I Can't Help It" which was a duet with Olivia Newton-John...

Dave

I feel of all the Gibb brother's vocally, Andy had the best voice. I have several of his albums I bought from a record shop and converted them to CDR. He also recorded a great duet w/ Olivia "Rest Your Love on Me". Andy also was arm and arm w/ Karen at the end of Heartache Tonight. I bought his Andy Gibb CD with the previously unreleased song "Man on Fire" which I really like. I think he always had a crush on ONJ, of course though who wouldn't?

He was also sort of linked to Marie Osmond at one time, if I am not mistaken, but of course her family was not too keen on him as he was not a Mormon (I could be mistaken about this, but I think I read it somewhere). But he was definitely attached one time to actress Victoria Principal (of 'Dallas' fame) and even sang a duet with her (All I Have To Do Is Dream) which I think even went to (or near) the top of the charts.

Calvin R Murty said:
He was also sort of linked to Marie Osmond at one time, if I am not mistaken, but of course her family was not too keen on him as he was not a Mormon (I could be mistaken about this, but I think I read it somewhere). But he was definitely attached one time to actress Victoria Principal (of 'Dallas' fame) and even sang a duet with her (All I Have To Do Is Dream) which I think even went to (or near) the top of the charts.

I remember seeing them on DONAHUE and they sang that song.

Olivia, Karen and Marie......boy those were the days. In some ways I wish the networks would bring back the variety show, just without the cheesy comedy sketches.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I bought his Andy Gibb CD with the previously unreleased song "Man on Fire" which I really like.

I have this album too Chris! Man On Fire is an awesome song :)

Variety shows were fun. But if Rosie O'Donnel thinks she's going to top the likes of Carol Burnett or the Smothers Brothers, f'get it.

I used to really get a kick out the Dean Martin Show too.

From paging through the RS article, I just learned a new word: "Melisma," which is that fluttery vocal style where the voice goes all around the actual preferred note. Used frequently on bad renditions of "The Star Spangled Banner" at sports events, and practiced by just about every boy-band singer and almost every recent female pop singer, not to mention every single bad wedding singer in the country. According to Rolling Stone, Mariah Carey popularized it. I just lost whatever respect I had for her.

Mike Blakesley said:
According to Rolling Stone, Mariah Carey popularized it.

I believe that's true, but its origins in mass pop music have to go to Whitney Houston. I think that Mariah Carey attempted to out-melisma Whitney and really opened the floodgates to the phenomenon that is now heard everywhere a typically young singer attempts to sing.

Harry

I'm very excited to have learned a new word today! Thanks for "melisma."

I've never been able to listen to Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey or anyone else of their ilk. When I listen to music, I want to hear that actual notes in the song, thank you. :wink:

I would sooner call Al Green or even Aretha Franklin (their careers seem to be more accurately based on that style) someone who popularized it, than Mariah (and at the mention of her name, the Todd Rundgren song about a "Mariah" on Something/Anything--Oh, that's where I first heard his version of "It Wouldn't...Difference"; thought it sounded familiar and that I had heard it before--comes to mind...) Carey...

As for Melisma, I just don't see the beauty of pronouncing a word consisting with only one or two syllables into one with fourteen or more... No wonder today's "talent" isn't worth buying into if they want to over-use what's been long put to better purpose by real artists like Sam Cooke or Percy Sledge...

Get those nasty letters out to ROLLING STONE for "whom they credit as their "official" source"...! :rolleyes:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom