Rumer - new artist, with echoes of Karen Carpenter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence I said: EDIT: Panic over - it is just a few tracks from the Maida Vale session as Rumer is in the "support slot".

We should email Jo and ask her to play all the sessiona dn cut back on the Roxy Music. LOL

What are the chances?!

I've gone ahead and ordered the new album, due out Nov. 1 in the UK, from Amazon.co.uk. With shipping to the States and subtracting their VAT, it works out to something like $17.xx complete, delivered to my door.

Harry

The vid's I've seen so far are great! Can't wait for more stuff from her...

A&M really should have signed her on! :tongue:artyhat:

Dave

Rumer is doing the BBC electric Prom tonight, In show build up I've just heard her sing Elton's Rocketman Live with a single guitarist, WOW.

And get this, in show itself she is singing "This Masquerade" with Leon Russell.

Tune in if you are able.

51Hhf3SzzBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rumer
SEASONS OF MY SOUL
Atlantic 5052498257522

1. Am I Forgiven
2. Come To Me High
3. Slow
4. Take Me As I Am
5. Aretha
6. Saving Grace
7. Thankful
8. Healer
9. Blackbird
10. On My Way Home
11. Goodbye Girl

I received my import copy today from Amazon UK. The album was released Monday, so a four-day trip across the ocean isn't too bad!

Since exploring the early tracks in this thread, I haven't done too much to "spoil" the first listen of the album. I ordered the "Slow" single when it came out, and have had that one and the online track "Long Long Day" on my MP3 player for awhile now.

But there have been numerous references to concerts, TV appearances, online videos, and the only one I paid any attention to was the JOOLS HOLLAND performance of "Slow." I did watch that once through.

I'm listening to the album start to finish as I type this.

Track 1, "Am I Forgiven" - I'd forgotten that this was posted on Rumer's website early on. It's a wonderful track with an almost Herb Alpert-like flugelhorn in the bridge. The credits list Paul Spong. Good stuff and a great start to the album.

Track 2, "Come To Me High" - Goosebumps appear as the sumptuous harmonies in the backing tracks appear. Another trumpet solo in the middle, more plaintive this time as this waltz begins to suggest yet another similarity between Rumer and another artist - Swing Out Sister!

Track 3, "Slow" - Still an amazing track. I never tire of it, and I've heard it a number of times now. This gal's talented!

Track 4, "Take Me As I Am" - Here comes the Swing Out Sister reminder again in another waltz. 2 minutes in there's a backing chorus of some soulful female singers. Who are they? Looking at the credits: All vocals and backing vocals: Rumer. Ah, but wait a minute - here in the song credits it lists Samantha Smith and Gemma Bourne.

Track 5, "Aretha" - The second single from the album, which I haven't heard until this moment. 6/8 time, organ backing, echoing classic Motown.

Track 6, "Saving Grace" - The opening conjurs up Swing Out Sister again! Then the Karen Carpenter-like vocals begin. Amazing combination! Shades of Bacharach in this one too. Backup vocals all over the stereo field - there's those goosebumps again!

Track 7, "Thankful" - Slow ballad, piano and bass backing, close-up vocal. Lyric: "I'm doing the dishes at the window and the radio's playing "Superstar"! Strings in the middle. A very soulful ballad.

Track 8, "Healer" - Violin and piano open, almost remeniscent of something by The Corrs! Goosebumps on the chorus with many overdubbed vocals. This one has a spiritual feel to it.

Track 9, "Blackbird" - No, it's not a Beatles cover. Another 6/8 time signature reminding me of Swing Out Sister once again.

Track 10, "On My Way Home" - More 6/8 time - more plaintive vocals. Every song to this point is credited to Rumer with three co-written by piano player Steve Brown. In the composer credits, Rumer is listed as "Joyce". Must be her real name. The final song is a David Gates tune.

Track 11, "Goodbye Girl" - From the 1977 movie of the same name. Nice overdubbing on the chorus.

There's bonus content on the CD. You get two additional songs, "It Might Be You" and "Vertigo". Both are MP3 files at 192kbps. Add those to the web-offered "Long, Long Day" and the total album comes to 14 tracks.

Also in the bonus content section are three videos, "Introducing Rumer" and music videos for "Aretha" and "Slow".

Good stuff all around. It's refreshing to hear a new artist recording with real instruments and real talent!

Harry

Harry said:
Every song to this point is credited to Rumer with three co-written by piano player Steve Brown. In the composer credits, Rumer is listed as "Joyce". Must be her real name. The final song is a David Gates tune.

Harry

That's her name Joyce, to be precise Sarah Joyce

My copy arrived in the mail from the UK yesterday and I love it!

There is Karen in her vocals, but a lot of phrasing reminiscent of Dusty and even Joni.

It's official!!!

Rumer's debut album has entered the UK album chart at NO. 3 (It's already certified Gold, there was only Cheryl Cole and Bon Jovi ahead of her, pretty impressive: :thumbsup:

The CD is first rate - for me it is the only real saving grace of 2010 musically. I found myself more and more drawn in with each successive song. Basically, I hear more of Dusty than Karen. Throw in a bit of Tracy Thorn from Everything But The Girl.

The song that made the biggest impression on me was "Thankful." It inspired me to pull out and listen to a 1978 song "Sandra" by Dusty Springfield from the album "It Begins Again." Not only is there a profound similarity to Dusty's vocal tone, but also in the story-telling style of the lyrics. While Dusty's "Sandra" is about a suburban wife who "accidentally" slits her wrists, "Thankful" is like Rumer's "opposite" answer song with the suburbanite choosing to have gratitude for what is right in front of her. Actually, I would love to hear Rumer do the song "Sandra."

Here's a quote from Rumer

"Newsflash! Burt Bacharach has approved my version of the song "Some Lovers", a brand new song he gave me to sing.. and I can confirm that it will be called "Rumer sings Bacharach at Christmas" and it will be a double A side, 7 inch and CD/download, with a live version of Alfie!"

Thanks Harry. I've always loved that song, and Rumer's version is certainly appealing - in certain parts, it gives us a taste of how Karen would have sung it. So many times, I hear something and wonder how she would have sounded performing it, there was a whole treasure trove of material just begging for her to give it that Karen treatment!

I was given the Rumer album for my birthday and am saving it for the right moment to fully immerse myself. I don't expect to be disappointed!

Karen Carpenter has always been my favorite female singer. Since we lost that amazing voice and I hear a new female singer I always compare them on my Karen scale of 1 to 10. Rumer is moving up the scale every time I hear her. It is really good to hear the type of music she is singing, not going for pop music of today but a throw back to an earlier era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom