• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Rumer - new artist, with echoes of Karen Carpenter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted my original piece having heard just one Rumer recording - "Slow", the first release. That is what sounds "uncannily like Karen". I would be the first to agree that on some of her other tracks, the comparison is less appropriate, but I defy anyone to listen to "Slow" and not hear an echo of Karen

Phil, would you like us to change the thread title? Perhaps something like, "Rumer - new artist with echoes of Karen"?

Harry

Harry- I tried the Amazon UK link to purchase Rumer's other discs, and I could access the site, but not purchase. Seemed "frozen". I do not know where the trouble is coming from, but I thought you'd want to know.

RUMER performed at Herb Alpert's place VIBRATO last night, I wondered if any of you guys saw her?
Has anyone seen a review?

Nicko said:
RUMER performed at Herb Alpert's place VIBRATO last night, I wondered if any of you guys saw her?
Has anyone seen a review?

First I've heard of her doing anything on this side of the pond. That's encouraging news - and the fact that she's gotten the ear of Burt Bacharach, and now perhaps Herb Alpert too is very good news indeed. From the Vibrato calender, it appears that it was a private event.

Harry

She is performing in NY this week. The New York Daily News did a small article on her & her Karen Carpenter connection.

Rumer interview: Sarah Rumer Joyce is not trying to be Karen Carpenter on 'Seasons of My Soul'
Jim Farber

Friday, February 25th 2011, 4:00 AM

Rumer's 'Seasons of My Soul' has vocal stylings that have made critics compare her to Karen Carpenter. She's a young singer, born in rural Pakistan and raised in the English countryside.

So what's she doing with Karen Carpenter's voice?

The one-named vocalist known as Rumer has a dark, wan, resounding instrument, deep in register and rich in tone. It's a voice full of rumination and regret, of sadness and sophistication. While her voice certainly has its own sterling character, upon first hearing it there's no way to avoid thinking of "Rainy Days and Mondays" and "Yesterday's Once More."

"I'm not trying to do a Karen Carpenter impersonation," says the singer, born Sarah Rumer Joyce. "But I do take instruction from her, and when I go into the lower register, the sound is similar."

It's no wonder the 30-year-old became one of the most written-about stars in the U.K. after her debut CD, "Seasons of My Soul," appeared late last year. It won't arrive in the States until this summer, but Rumer is teasing it with a showcase this Monday at Joe's Pub. While it's an industry-only event, the show offers a nice excuse to start spreading the word about a singer sure to become a stateside star later this year.

Already, Rumer has been making a stir among elites. After she got signed to Atlantic Records last May, her label "made a concerted effort" to get her music to one of the tiffany names in pop: Burt Bacharach. The iconic melodist got the connection right away, not only inviting her to his L.A. home, but giving her a song to sing from a musical he's writing with Steven Slater, the man behind "Spring Awakening." (Rumer has also cut a version of Bacharach's existential classic "Alfie.")

"I can't read music, so I felt a bit scared to meet him," Rumer says. "But once you start talking, you forget about the enormity of the situation."

It's no surprise Bacharach responded so warmly. The opening song on Rumer's CD, "Am I Forgiven," mimics his love for muted horns.

"It's a very human instrument," she says.

Rumer, who moved with her family to the U.K. from a remote farming village far outside Islamabad, grew up loving classic pop.

"I'm attracted to the great songwriters — Laura Nyro, Jimmy Webb, Carol King — but also to classic American writers like Johnny Mercer and Yip Harburg."

Still, her idol remains Judy Garland.

"I wanted to be her," she says. "I'm ambitious."

Not that her lust for musical accomplishment resulted in a rapid rise. Rumer woodshedded her sound for years, enduring a full decade of rejection. A potentially key connection came in 2005, when she met Ben Taylor, son of James Taylor and Carly Simon. They met while playing a budding folk scene in the London clubs. She says that after Ben told his mom about it, Simon replied, " ‘that sounds like the '70s. Tell them to come over.' So we spent that summer at her house in Martha's Vineyard."

Still, another five years went by without a label offer.

"Maybe I wasn't skinny enough, or pretty enough, or blond enough," Rumer says. "It took people like Amy Winehouse and Adele to come along with faces that also didn't fit. The scene changed in my favor."

Better, that delay gave Rumer time to develop a sound graceful enough to, eventually, be seen beyond its connection to the past.

"I'm old enough now to know what I'm doing," she says. "I feel I've finally found my purpose."

Rumer, Joe's Pub , Monday, 9:30 p.m.

A little birdie tells me that Rumer might be doing some shows in the US this summer to coincide with the Official release of her album 'Seasons of my Soul' over there :D

That would make sense. She'd likely make the rounds of the TV shows and radio stations too to get some exposure.

If she wants to make it big here in the States, she'd better do a LOT of appearances and concerts. I watched what happened to The Corrs, and while they did a fair amount of TV, they didn't really back it up with more than a few concerts scattered across the country, and then they were gone. Their other failing was that they didn't spend time promoting themselves at radio stations - and there are a ton of those out there.

Hopefully Rumer has hired competent people to do the job of getting her name out there. It's not easy to break the States with a new act and it takes a lot of work.

Harry

I'm noticing that there are now quite a few different editions of SEASONS OF MY SOUL out there. Amazon is listing a standard 11-track edition, and another one with two additional tracks: "It Might Be You" and "Alfie".

The Japanese have an edition coming out this week with three bonus tracks - the two listed above plus "Come Saturday Morning".

There'a also an Australian release this month with just the basic 11 tracks.

It's also recently come out as an LP.

Harry

It's not easy to break the States with a new act and it takes a lot of work.
On top of everything you listed, there's also the fact that her style of music isn't exactly what's topping the charts right now. Hopefully she can break in via the same route Norah Jones got in.

Rumer has a new video for the song "The Goodbye Girl". She emphasizes in her email that those are NOT her feet, nor does she recall the name of the actor playing her love interest.

Harry

Rumer's In concert on the radio tomorrow

BBC Radio 2
Thursday 7th April 2011
Time: 20:00 to 22:00 (GMT +1)

Jo Whiley presents a headline gig from Rumer plus special guests Sandie Shaw, John Grant, Lemar and Rick Astley, live from Abbey Road Studios in London. David McAlmont performs in the Support Slot.

Code:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/7926877/New-face-Rumer.html

Here is an article from The Telegraph

Rumer now has some concert dates in the US with more to follow in January and February

Rumer's First US Dates

Posted: Mon 03 Oct 2011

Rumer will be jetting across the pond this October to play a handful of intimate shows state side.
It'll just be her and one acoustic guitar, so they promise to be very special shows.

Here are the dates below:

23rd Oct | World Cafe, Philadelphia
25th Oct | Birchmere , Washington
26th Oct | Rockwood , NY
27th Oct | World Cafe, Philadelphia
28th Oct | Rockwood , NY

So it should sound something like this from BBC Radio 2 for those lucky enough to be there
http://youtu.be/VbZeoZ__0tQ

What ever happened to the US release of her album? It isn't even on i-tunes as scheduled for October 1.

What ever happened to the US release of her album? It isn't even on i-tunes as scheduled for October 1.

Atlantic announced that yesterday along with these concert dates, it's January 23rd now, I don't know why its delayed, It's probably due to what follows.

They also said that her new album "Boys Don't Cry" is released in the UK on November 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom