• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Rumer - new artist, with echoes of Karen Carpenter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did this with the Matt Bianco album, Matt's Mood. It took the US between six and nine months to release it over here. I don't know why. I ordered the UK SACD release when it first came out, and haven't looked back.

For my part, I just ordered the LP from Amazon UK yesterday, after having borrowed the CD release to see if I'd like it. With all the other released tracks, they easily could have released a second LP to round them all up.

Someone suggested that the vinyl album of "Seasons of my Soul" be available at the US shows, and I believe it will be.

Did you know that on the new movie "Johny English Reborn" Rumer sings the soundtrack on the end credits, it's called "I believe in you"

Someone suggested that the vinyl album of "Seasons of my Soul" be available at the US shows, and I believe it will be.

She is only coming to some of the major cities at first, and apparently it's just her and a guitar...but I have a feeling there will be a much more subtantial tour in coming months.

I don't really know if she'll make it here in the US. Compared to the crap that gets popular here, she's too good! There are a lot of us, though, who like the better music, so while I don't think she'll be topping the Hot 100, she can still make a name for herself here.

Rumer now has some concert dates in the US with more to follow in January and February

Rumer's First US Dates

Posted: Mon 03 Oct 2011

Rumer will be jetting across the pond this October to play a handful of intimate shows state side.
It'll just be her and one acoustic guitar, so they promise to be very special shows.

Here are the dates below:

23rd Oct | World Cafe, Philadelphia
25th Oct | Birchmere , Washington
26th Oct | Rockwood , NY
27th Oct | World Cafe, Philadelphia
28th Oct | Rockwood , NY

So it should sound something like this from BBC Radio 2 for those lucky enough to be there
http://youtu.be/VbZeoZ__0tQ

Murphy's Law. - Now that I'm no longer in Philly, she's headed there!

Harry

Yeah, I saw that. I even briefly considered making a trip over there, but I will wait it out for now. Since the album has not been released here yet, I am sure there will be a lot more touring.

Also, concerts at the "World Cafe Live" are sometimes recorded and played back on WXPN in Philadelphia, occasionally making it to the national NPR network. Keep an eye out for that.

Harry

Also, concerts at the "World Cafe Live" are sometimes recorded and played back on WXPN in Philadelphia, occasionally making it to the national NPR network. Keep an eye out for that.

Harry

Well if Atlantic Records have any influence I would imagine that they will be encouraging that outcome for Rumer, It could only help to raise her profile in the states.

Here's a treat for Rumer fans here in the forum.

I ordered the LP version of the album from Amazon.uk and it arrive late last Friday. Finally got a chance to spin it. I'm actually playing side 1 for the second time. :love:

Before the visuals, I have to say that the "production" sound of the CD is still intact--the bass fortunately is not at bloated and boomy as the CD (this affects many new "popular" releases, a trend I do not like BTW), but the hard compression is still there. Probably not the mastering compression, but something applied during mixing. That is just part of this album's sound. Some of the "hard" lower treble is softened a bit, but I actually blame that more on the CD playback than anything; overall the LP is smoother sounding.

As for the vinyl, it has to be one of the quieter LPs I've purchased recently, not to mention that it's flat and dead-on center. This is pressed on 180g vinyl, but there was no indication as to which plant pressed the album. Seeing it was from the UK, it possibly could have been pressed at Pallas, which I've had varying luck with. (My Pat Metheny Orchestrion LP set is similarly flat/quiet, but the Fleetwood Mac Rumours 2-45RPM set suffers a bit at times.) Overall a very nice sounding slab of black wax. :thumbsup: There is a slight bit of sibilance on the last track on Side 2, probably due to the pressing since I have other LPs cut hotter than this one that play right through. (The cart is a Shure V15VMR.)

As I thought about this set this evening, I realized that we've taken gatefold LPs for granted over the years. We knew they were nice, but I don't think we appreciated the work that went into them. Rumer personally oversaw the assembling of the packaging for the LP. The cover is unique to the LP, and the inside of the gatefold is like a photo album, much like the album itself (a series of "snapshots" into her life).

So here are some pics I took of the packaging a few minutes ago. The jacket pics are in this post, and the "insides" follow in the next.

rumer_jkt_front.jpg

rumer_jkt_inside.jpg

rumer_jkt_rear.jpg

Thanks for the photos, all these was done by her photographer friend in New York, Walter Briski jnr , Rumer selected the ones she wanted from the shoot, they recently spent a week out at Long Island doing a shoot for the next album, Rumer has again selected the material for it.

BTW she made her US concert debut last night in Philadephia at World Cafe.

That is sure some retro-styled packaging! Looks 1973-vintage.

:agree: And the packaging itself is nice and heavy--the paperboard used for the LP jacket feels stiffer than others I've bought recently, and the innersleeve is glossy, yet again, not as thin as some others I've had. It just feels like a nice product, and the heavier 180g LP really makes the whole thing feel substantial.

That place, "World Cafe" is about five city blocks from where I used to work when the radio station was still located in the city (back in the '70s), and only about another five blocks from where we saw Herb Alpert and Lani Hall nearly two years ago to the day. Seems like a lifetime ago...

Oh. Forgot - thanks for the links Nicko. Fantastic.

Harry

I went to see Rumer on her UK tour tuesday, she's really packing them in these days, almost 3,000 at this gig, the Royal Albert Hall on this tuesday coming and thats virtually sold out 4,000 people.
I think she's grown enormously as a performer and as a person in the one year since her album came out (when I last saw her live act), she explained all about her songs to the audience and what they mean to her.

She performed a lovely version of the Paul Williams/Roger Nichols song " Travelling Boy" and then said that this will be on her new album "Boys don't Cry", she then revealed other artists that will be covered on this album such as Leon Russell, Richie Havens,Clifford T Ward are just a few.

One more thing about Rumer, how many artists these days do you know that come and meet their fans after the show? Rumer does, she signed every autograph for every fan and also let them take photos with her!! and she does this after every show.

Rumer is doing some shows in the States again this month, venues so far are located in

San Francisco
Denver
Milwaukee

There may be more to coincide with TV appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom