• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio to us older fans: "Grow Up!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

Sergio was in the UK recently and gave an interview to Soundslam magazine. This forum is mentioned. WARNING: A lot of us old fogeys won't like what Sergio says here.

SoundSlam: How have you managed to stay current? You've been a professional musician since the late-1950s, so what path have you taken in order to stay up with contemporary music over all these years? Most people tend to stick with what they know rather than try to dissect new, younger music trends.

Sergio Mendes: Well, I am very curious. I've always been a super curious kind of guy. That's why I left Brazil, and came to America, and began to play with Cannonball Adderly, and other jazz legends here. So, I'm always looking for something different. I love to learn, and travel, and learn about other cultures, and people. Working with young people like Will was fascinating and gives me new energy. It was a pleasure working with John Legend, and India.Arie and everyone on the album.

SoundSlam: Yeah, that's nice to hear. I typically see a pattern of rejection with older people's and younger generation's music(s). In fact, I found it interesting because the term 'Hip Hop," and/or "rap," turn a lot of people off that haven't grown up with it because of negative connotations surrounding the music and culture.I was reading on Brazil66.com in the forums, where a lot of your (older) fans had rejected this album before even listening to it. So what sort of difficulties did you think you'd have to deal with on this record as compared to years past?

Sergio Mendes: Well, first of all, I did the thing, as I told you, because I'm curious and I wanted to learn, and ended up having a ball doing it. I want to do more with will.i.am, and more young artists. So, some fans, not all, might say 'well, we don't like this music,' or ,'we don't like Hip Hop.' But I never paid attention to that. I believe that you have to do what's in your heart. The curious and funny thing about Timeless is that some of my fans that didn't like it were contacting me and saying 'Oh, our kids have bought your album and love it (laughing).' [They] had their kids telling them the album was great. So, if you find older people that aren't open-minded, then you'll get that. But, I think that art should keep moving, and music should keep progressing, and trying different boundaries, and frontiers. If you're gonna do your art just for older people, or whoever, well, I just can't do that. I believe you have to do what's in your heart, and hope that you conquer new fans, and younger people. That's how I think about it anyway.

SoundSlam: And what I find interesting, being a big jazz fan myself, is that many older fans of yours might be forgetting how much jazz changed when they were young. Jazz went from more orchestral jazz in the 20s into ragtime in the 30s before getting into bebop and hard-bop and all the transitions after that.

Sergio Mendes: Yeah, absolutely. I'm a big bebop fan. When you look back and see how Dizzy Dillespie went into Cuba to find those Latin sounds and bring them back to bebop, that just shows how a musician in the 40s that was as curious as I am went out into a different culture to bring something new to the jazz world. Then you have Stan Getz going to Brazil to meet Joabim, and doing the bossa nova. There you go again off that curiosity and that mutual exchange. Now you see me and Will doing this. I think it's pretty much the same vibe.

SoundSlam: Yep, I agree. What future plans, if you can speak on that, do you have?

Sergio Mendes: Well, I'll be doing a lot of promo and press stuff for this album in the next couple months, and then in July I'll be heading to Europe to for all of the big jazz festivals in Paris, London, and much more. And hopefully do album number two with Will because we had a ball. It was a great experience, and he's a great kid and a good, dear friend. I've learned a lot from him.

SoundSlam: Now, this magazine typically covers Hip Hop music and culture. You kind of touched on it, but what would you say to those fans of yours, and the older listeners that have stereotypes about what Hip Hop is?

Sergio Mendes: Grow up! (laughing)

SoundSlam: (laughing) That's great!

Sergio Mendes: No, grow younger. Open your mind, and open your heart, and just let it be. Listen to your kids too, because it also helps. I have a 19-year old, and a 13-year old, so maybe that helps. I have to keep up-to-date with what they're listening to, and they know more about pop music than I do, obviously.

http://soundslam.com/articles/interviews/interviews.php?interviews=in060724_sergio

A review of Sergio's Barbican show by what is OBVIOUSLY a snarky old fogey LONDON TIMES critic:

Sergio Mendes
Clive Davis at the Barbican

Would you like ketchup and fries with your caviar, madam? Would the Berlin Philharmonic invite a banjo player to strum along on Mahler’s Ninth? Probably not. So why would Sergio Mendes, one of the godfathers of Brazilian pop, draft in rappers on his album Timeless? The bottom line is one obvious explanation, as is the fact that the bandleader has always possessed magpie tastes. (Remember those faintly kitsch Beatles covers?) But all Timeless does, ultimately, is remind you of the gulf that separates rap from the rest of the popular field. I realise I’m wasting my time saying this, because money talks and MTV has demographics on its side, but the record is a prime example of the dumbing-down process.

The live version was a lot more enjoyable for the simple fact that the home-boy element was kept to a respectable minimum. The percussionist Krishna Booker grabbed a microphone and trampled all over the serene Jobim instrumental, Surfboard. The bassist Leo Nobre did much the same on Samba da Ben, çao, a song that foreshadowed, in a much more stylish way, the conversational idiom of modern rap. And, at the end, we were reminded that Mas Que Nada is such a magnificent anthem that it can survive a few “yo”s.

For the rest, Mendes — seated demurely at his keyboard — led an efficient journey through the back catalogue, the singers Gracinha Leporace and the hugely impressive Dawn Bishop helping to re-create the fluid harmonies of the classic Brasil 66 format. Roda was thrown away a little early, alas, but there was no shortage of nostalgia on a brisk sequence of bossa nova standards that included One Note Samba and Agua de Março. The Fool on the Hill provided genial psychedelia, The Look of Love offered suave cocktail balladry.

Mendes played a crucial role in winning over pop audiences 40 years ago. Today, when Brazilian stars regularly make the trip to London, purists might argue that his formula has a touch of the cruise liner about it. The truth, though, is that the very best of Brasil 66 defies the passing years. Some things really are timeless.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14936-2284400,00.html

The review isn't that bad. It's actually a pretty good review of the concert, just not of the TIMELESS album.

Obviously it's Sergio's music and he can do what he wants, but in 100 years from now he will still be remembered for the B'66 years, and TIMELESS will be a footnote, if that. (I'll check back when I'm 149 and verify these sentiments.)

If Sergio Mendes wants to work with the younger genre of musicians he should collaborate with the likes of Chris Botti, Michael Buble, or Norah Jones. But he seems to think his 13 year old daughter knows more about pop music than he does.

The term, "Grow Up" should really be aimed at his Younger Fans--his Timeless Audience...!! That is if it were done in a "geared towards the Older Fans" perspective...

I think maybe he could'a been misquoted, as he should be telling us "older fans" to "NOT Grow Up" or rather, "Grow YOUNG"...! --As far as his latest Ouevre is being presented and aimed at Market-Wise...

Dave

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
If Sergio Mendes wants to work with the younger genre of musicians he should collaborate with the likes of Chris Botti, Michael Buble, or Norah Jones. But he seems to think his 13 year old daughter knows more about pop music than he does.

Sergio doesn't have a 13 year old daughter, he has a 13 year old son named Tiago and I keep in touch with Tiago through the Sergio Mendes Fan Club that he established via MySpace.Although I really don't understand why the fan club doesn't have many members. :?:

Uhh, maybe because most of Sergio's fans are in their 40s or 50s or 60s and they either have never heard of, or (like me) they don't want to bother with MySpace.

I agree with Mike; though I'm not within that age range he mentioned, I think MySpace is a bit of an immature conduit for Sergio to "connect" with his fanbase.

If you tell a 50 year old that you’re going to “MySpace” , he'll probably assume you’re referring to the bathroom.

My "my space" is actually my BEDROOM!

Dave

...And glad I never had to share it with any brother's or sister's, too! :jester:

Maybe I should have made the age-range a little wider....I'm sure Sergio has plenty of fans in their 30s and 70s too...most of which also have no time for MySpace.

There's all kinds of people on MySpace of all AGES. But I do understand that MySpace is everybody's cup of tea.I personally haven't had any problems on there , but I do hear about other people having different types of problems on there.For instance, most recently a young teenage girl ran away from home in the United States to another country to visit her much older lover whom she had met on MySpace.

Now, MySpace isn't the IMMATURE way to connect with Sergio because he does send me and his other MySpace friends bulletins & emails.Well we're not to connect with him at the Corner now, are we? I certainly don't see him on her, even though I wish he would visit the Corner and participate in the Forum discussions.I told him about in addition to telling Gustavo & Tiago about it, both of which I have frequent contact with.

I'm feeling a bit restrained here... I've only got 7.114 friends in my space, and that's really cramming them in!

I have to keep up-to-date with what they're listening to, and they know more about pop music than I do, obviously.

If he really believes this, then he doesn't think much of the formula he perfected with Brasil '66. I am taking this article with a grain of salt.

The only people over 35 who use MySpace are male pedophiles, so they can trawl for young'ns...

--Mr Bill

If you think it's Sergio himself sending you those MySpace "bulletins," I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. :) They're all "cut and paste" press releases sent out by Concord. I know, because I'm one of the 7,114 people getting them, LOL.

Mr Bill said:
The only people over 35 who use MySpace are male pedophiles, so they can trawl for young'ns...

--Mr Bill

Mr. Bill, please learn to think before you speak, do not bring pedophiles into this.

Cortnee said:
Mr Bill said:
...The only People Over-35 who use MySpace are Male Pedophiles, so they can trawl for Young'uns...

--Mr Bill

...Mr. Bill, please learn to think before you speak! Do not bring Pedophiles into this...

True--there are certain 'Characters' who have unfortunately "tainted" the MySpace Landscape and have unfortunately ruined the "Good Rapport" and "Spotless Reputation" of an otherwise good and worthwhile "OnLine Social Gathering" for those with no such "Dishonest Intentions"... However, let's not let such Negativity and such Vitroil spoil our Topic here, at hand... :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

...Thinking the "delay" between the Last Responses could'a been longer and this whole thing would'a really stayed Outt'a Mind, if this Thread had just remained Outt'a Sight...! :jester:

I probably should've dropped a " :laugh: " in that post to make it clear I was being sarcastic or at least making a joke. I'm amused your reply came almost three months after my post, though. Hopefully you spent those three months researching the validity of my claims in my original "pedophile" post. :laugh:

But as Dave said, there ARE certain "bad" people who HAVE used MySpace for exactly the reasons I made in that wisecracking post.

And, just so you know, all my psots are made with deep thought and considertation -- why do you think I'm such a curmudgeon? :wink: Pop a Prozac, pour yourself a nice tall Cosmo and chill out! :laugh:

--Mr Bill
who just found out he has his own MySpace page set up by his daughter, the little rapscallion...

A quick side-note on MySpace:

I signed myself up so I could look at pages created by my former theatre employees. It's kind of fun to watch what's happening in the lives of the kids I've known around here.

BUT -

You'll receive Junk e-mails, just like you do from bogus credit-card companies and such, asking you to "update your information" and "verify your registration" and all that stuff. DO NOT respond to those mails. You can always do whatever you need directly through myspace.com. If you do happen to respond to one of these, go into myspace thru their website and change your password immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom