• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio to us older fans: "Grow Up!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
MySpace is a trainwreck IMHO...and I seriously wonder why some musical artists and record labels insist on using it. I can't take MySpace seriously. It's just turned into a theatre of the absurd--anyone can post ANY kind of profile they want on there. And I've even had a couple of friends ask me to block it on their computers so their kids don't get into it. Can't say I blame them, what with all the predatory stuff going on. A friend's neighbor's teenaged daughter (15) was caught chatting with a man she met on there, as one example.

PC World readers ranked it as the worst site on the web. And from what I've seen over the past couple of years, I have to agree...

http://pcworld.com/article/id,127116-page,7-c,sites/article.html

This tidbit from the article is also interesting, and another reason I won't visit:

Graphically, many MySpace pages look like a teenager's bedroom after a tornado--a swirl of clashing backgrounds, boxes stacked inside other boxes, massive photos, and sonic disturbance. Try loading a few of those pages at once and watch what happens to your CPU. Watch out for spyware, too, since it turns out that MySpace has become a popular distribution vector for drive-by downloads and other exploits.

I wouldn't dismiss it completely. I've hooked up with some local musicians on My Space and am about to put my horn on a couple of recordings. I've also hooked up with my current ladyfriend there as well. :wink: As with any website, you need to be smart about what and where you post things and/or respond to messages.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I wouldn't dismiss it completely. I've hooked up with some local musicians on My Space and am about to put my horn on a couple of recordings. I've also hooked up with my current ladyfriend there as well. :wink: As with any website, you need to be smart about what and where you post things and/or respond to messages.

I agree...MySpace is actually a microcosm of the entire web if you think about it. As adults, WE know what to expect, what to avoid and know the red flags when we see them. But as parents (at least those of us with kids), we have to keep them away from the obvious predators out there, or other dangerous traps they can get into at sites like this.

...You'll receive Junk eMails, just like you do from bogus credit-card companies and such, asking you to "update your information" and "verify your registration" and all that stuff...

It was on those grounds that I decided to discontinue my membership to MySpace--I can't even get Pay Pal off my butt, claiming that "someone has obtained my Password and is using my Credit Card", though the fact that my Amount I Owe on my Statements is going DOWN, proves Otherwise...!! :biglaugh:

I don't think I really remember my MySpace User Name or even my Password; guess the Novelty had worn off enough that I just quit going to it...

Y'go to a place that's safe and fun--Fine! Me, I'm stayin' HERE...!! :badteeth:

Dave

Pervy Cap'n B said:
...I've also hooked up with my current ladyfriend there as well. :wink:

:laugh: What high school does she go to? :laugh:

--Mr Bill
taking this thread's running joke to the next logical level...

Getting off the MySpace thing for a second and going back to the article in question, I thought I'd chime in and contribute a different perspective on the issue. I don't think whether or not you take to "Timeless" is a question of age. I, for one, am in my twenties and actually listen to a sizable amount of rap, but, with the exception of the collaborations with Stevie Wonder and John Legend (which were both fantastic), the album didn't work for me. I love Sergio Mendes' usual work, and I like a lot of rap, too, so, in theory, I should have liked "Timeless" (especially since I was also in the age bracket Sergio was hoping to appeal to with this project), but I don't think the two worlds - Sergio's trademark sound and rap/hip-hop - necessarily gel particularly well. It just didn't seem like a natural fusion and came across a little forced. But this is just one listener's opinion, mind you.
So I think it may be a bit misguided to simply attribute one's reaction to the album to their age. Even though I like rap, I'd still rather hear Sergio in his traditional element.

I do applaud Sergio's ambition, though, and don't see anything wrong with a vintage artist wanting to try something different in an attempt to modernize or freshen their sound, so long as they don't sound wholly out of their element, as I think was the case with this project. I'd have loved to have seen him go the route that Herb did with "Rewhipped," which, in contrast, I thought was a five-star effort. (And seemed more an extension of the artist rather than a mash-up of different styles.) But I'm sure many of you thought the exact opposite of the two projects. Thoughts?

Jeff F.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
If Sergio Mendes wants to work with the younger genre of musicians he should collaborate with the likes of Chris Botti, Michael Buble, or Norah Jones. But he seems to think his 13 year old daughter knows more about pop music than he does.

Sergio doesn't have a daughter who is 13. The 13 year old child that he is referring to in the above interview is his youngest SON Tiago.He does have a daughter named Isabela who is happens to be 37 years young.By the way, Isabela will be flattered by your remark but Tiago won't be a happy camper.

Captain Bacardi said:
Capt. Bacardi

I agree with you. Well said. Kudos to u Captain. :)
With most websites , you do have to be extremely cautious and yes including MySpace . I know you need to be extra extremely cautious in chatrooms, especially Yahoo! Good grief! :rolleyes:
On the brighter more positive side of things, I found MySpace to be a treasure island in the sense of finding old friends, lost family members, former classmates, and I came across tons of diffrent singers & musicians.Have I discussed finding Kleber Jorge, Bill Cantos, Lee Ritenour, and Kevin Winard on MySpace? Well they are on there and Kleber will be coming out with a new release and his own website.MySpace can be enlightening at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom