sergiomendestimeless.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wishing I'd ordered Japanese just so I could be in on the discussions but now I don't feel so bad. :D

I didn't order the Japanese disc for the bonus track - though that was a minor consideration. I just wanted it early.

Harry

I got my copy, too.

I am just waiting for the right moment to listen to it...

It's like opening The Big Holiday Present" that we've waited over 9 years for. And I just don't want to think all this hype and anticipation was for a pair of yellow galoshes (rain boots).

Anyone feel the same way?

Trevor

Trevor said:
And I just don't want to think all this hype and anticipation was for a pair of yellow galoshes (rain boots).

Anyone feel the same way?

Trevor

Yeah, to be honest, I do, but I guess one man's galosh is another man's - I don't know, dress boot or something...

New ICE magazine just arrived -- there is a full page ad for Sergio's new album on page 7! It's basically the cover with a list of the guests. There is also a short bit about the album (no info that we don't already know) on page 29.

Here are full credits for the album from our distributor's website. They're in alphabetical order according to the first letter of the listing, so they're not in the same order as on the album, but for those who really want to know who was involved (and don't have the CD in your hands yet), here you go.

• Albert Watson - Photography
• Bernie Grundman - Mastering
• Bill Brendle - Fender Rhodes
• Carlos "Pipo" Chaves - Group Member
• Chali 2na - Rap
• Chandler Bridges - Assistant Engineer
• Chris Young - Assistant Engineer
• Chuck Prada - Conga
• Dave Amason - Producer
• Debi Nova - Vocals
• Doug Tyo - Assistant Engineer
• Erykah Badu - Vocals
• Ethan Willoughby - Mixing
• Gary "Sugar Foot" Greenberg - Drums
• Gracinha Leporace - Photography, Vocals
• India.Arie - Vocals
• Jason Villaroman - Drum Programming, Engineer
• Jill Scott - Vocals
• John Burk - Executive Producer
• John Legend - Vocals
• Justin Timberlake - Vocals
• Keith Harris - Fills, Ride Cymbal
• Kleber Jorge - Cavaquinho, Guitar (Acoustic), Vocals
• Leonardo Nobre - Bass
• Maogani Quartet - Guitar (Acoustic)
• Marcelo D2 - Rap
• Marcos Alves - Group Member
• Marcus Tardelli - Group Member, Guitar Arrangements
• Meia Noite - Percussion
• Mike Houge - Assistant Engineer
• Mike Shapiro - Bass, Drums, Drums (Snare), Percussion
• Mitchell Long - Guitar (Electric)
• Mr. Vegas - Vocals
• Nicolas Duport - Engineer
• Padraic Kerin - Engineer
• Paul Erickson - Engineer
• Paul Meyers - Guitar
• Paulinho Braga - Drums
• Paulo Aragão - Group Member
• Peter Wolf - Bass, Orchestral Arrangements, Performer
• Pharoahe Monch - Rap
• Q-Tip - Rap
• Roland Young - Package Design, Visual Concept
• Sergio Brandao - Bass
• Sergio Mendes - Arranger, Fender Rhodes, Liner Notes, Piano, Producer, Synthesizer, Synthesizer Strings, Vocals, Wurlitzer
• Stephanie Cooper Willoughby - Production Coordination
• Steve Tavaglione - Saxophone
• Stevie Wonder - Harmonica
• Tim Izo - Flute, Saxophone
• Tony Maserati - Mixing
• Will.I.Am - Arranger, Bass, Drum Programming, Liner Notes, Percussion, Piano, Producer, Rap, Sampling, Vocals
• Zach Hancock - Mixing Assistant

twintierstrading said:
Its too bad there was(n't) a "non rap" version - like so many of the top 40 songs today will offer both ....

Well, there is a promo single CD of "Yes, Yes Y'all" floating around out there. I picked one up on eBay with these tracks:

1. RADIO EDIT
2. ALBUM VERSION
3. INSTRUMENTAL
4. ACAPELLA
5. CALL OUT

The instrumental sounds interesting - I'll report on it when it arrives.

Harry

Hey Folks,
I have had the album of Sergio's for two weeks now, and I think when you hear the whole album you will be pleasantly surprised. I am not a rap/hip-hop fan and this album has some of that, but it is not over powering. There are some really great songs here, plus some sampling of the old Brasil '66 added in. I don't care alot for the version of " Mas Que Nada " very well because it really takes away from the original flow of the song, but there are some great moments on this album. John Legend's "Please Baby Don't " is a really great piece very much like the brasil of old but with John's unique vocal touch. The Stevie Wonder & Graacinha Leporace song is also very nice. The title cut " Timeless " by Indie Arie is also that very nice latin Brazil sound, and the instrumental featuring the Maogani Quartet is very cool. I know there are rap elements that old fans are not going to like, but all in all this is a pretty cool album. The hip-hop is not so overpowering that it makes the album not listenable. Also there is alot of cool Sergio piano playing. I really think you will be surprised listening to the album as a whole.

Anybody watching the Sergio-Peas concert on AOL? Will is praising Sergio to the skies ("Sergio in da house!") - and it's great to see Gracinha, Dawn and Jessica! Marcelo D2 is filling in for Q-Tip on "The Frog". Erykah Badu (Miss Thing!) ...oops, well.... "That Heat" comes off as VERY strange 'live'. India.Arie comes off much better with "Timeless"...SCREAMS for Justin..."We love and appreciate all that Sergio has done"..."Loose Ends" with Pharoahe Monch, Justin & Gracinha, Jessie & Dawn...Justin: "Sergio! Play that thing!" "Sometimes it's cool to keep it mellow...those beautiful melodies...Give it up for Sergio Mendes!" And they are concluding with (what else?) "Mas Que Nada"..."You gotta give it up for Sergio! We aint done yet! We gonna do "Sexy"...But no, they are doing "Voce Abouso!" :laugh: Will brings Gracinha up front...Then "Tristeza"! :D OK, NOW they are doing "Sexy"....

Sergio is having a BLAST.

Yes. I am watching the concert. I see Gracinha & Dawn & Jessica! I thought she had left the group. Well, it's nice to see her back.

Oooh. Well, I'm glad "Sexy" isn't on TIMELESS...

it's being repeated...this is soooo smart for Sergio....

BrasilNut and I had a long chat about the concert after the first 'screening' and we both have to give MAJOR props to will.i.am. He got the kids in there thinking they were going to see a mostly Black Eyed Peas concert, but instead they got a crash-course at Mendes U! Kindalike "You kids may not have heard of Sergio, but this man is a legend and you should know about him and his fantastic music." And there was a healthy serving of classic B'66-77 material demonstrating that Segio hasn't abandoned his classic sound.

Sergio Mendes' Timeless

Hear Music™ - XM 75 - 1PM Eastern Time

Sergio Mendes plays tracks off his exciting new release, Timeless. Produced by Black Eyed Peas member, will.i.am, Mendes explains how this project came together.

Thanks (I think, LOL) for pointing that out! Just watched/listened. May I just say "oy" over the BEP's "vocalist", especially her "solo" on "Mas Que Nada." :) The Sergio elements were great, though!

I actually LOL'd at Will.i.am's "defense" about half-way through, when he chided the audience that music didn't always have to be "thump, boom" and that they needed to thank Sergio for his "beautiful melodies." And that it was OK to be "smart" sometimes. Of course, I've always considered us life-long Sergio fans the "smartest" people around. :wink:

POP MUSIC REVIEW
Black Eyed Peas throw their own party

Concert to benefit charities showcases new album from Brazilian Sergio Mendes.
By Steve Baltin
Special to The Times

February 8, 2006

With their energetic rhymes, infectious hooks and unabashed good-time lyrics, L.A.'s Black Eyed Peas have become one of music's most popular party bands in recent years. But on Monday night at the Henry Fonda Theatre, the group, with the aid of Brazilian star Sergio Mendes and a slew of big-name guests, showed off its sophisticated and mellow sides.

Although the Grammy week show was another in a long line of the Peas' annual Peapod shows, benefiting youth charities, the gig was built around Mendes' latest release, "Timeless," a collection produced by Black Eyed Peas architect Will.I.Am that brings together the worlds of samba and hip-hop.

With Mendes on keyboards, Will as host, and a colorful stage befitting the warm and pleasant Brazilian grooves of the album, the duo played several tracks from the forthcoming disc (due Valentine's Day).

As has been the case in recent years, the Peapod format offered several surprises. Among those re-creating their contributions to the record live were Erykah Badu on "That Heat," India.Arie on the rhythmic, sexy title track, John Legend on "Please Baby Don't," a ballad with airy samba rhythms, and the crowd-pleasing duo of Justin Timberlake and rapper Pharoahe Monch on "Loose Ends," a song that effectively blended a lengthy Mendes' keyboard solo, raps from Monch and Will and Timberlake's soulful vocals.

The Black Eyed Peas made a late appearance on the boisterous "Mas Que Nada," a traditional Brazilian favorite that found the Peas rapping over the percussion-heavy beat. Bolstered by a group of feather-clad dancers the song became a full party on stage.

Though the Peas played on for a brief set on their own after "Mas Que Nada," that number, with its festive spirit and pure melding of two musical cultures, was the real denouement for this joyous occasion.

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et-peas8feb08,0,7985841.story?coll=cl-music

Steve Sidoruk said:
Sergio Mendes' Timeless

Hear Music™ - XM 75 - 1PM Eastern Time

Sergio Mendes plays tracks off his exciting new release, Timeless. Produced by Black Eyed Peas member, will.i.am, Mendes explains how this project came together.

I'll have to set an alarm so I don't forget to change the channel. :D

I was watching the highlights via AOL. It's great to see Viramundo e Magdelenha live.

I only have one question... When did Gracinha go blonde?

Okay, I found this review on Rap Reviews. It's a very interesting and honest opinion from the rap perspective about this CD.

The link:

http://rapreviews.com/archive/2006_01F_timeless.html

The whole review (with lyrics):

You may not be familiar with the name Sergio Mendes. I know I wasn't. But one glance at the guest artists on the back cover of "Timeless" proves Mr. Mendes must be somebody MAJOR. Pure lyricists like will.i.am, Q-Tip, Pharoahe Monch, The Roots' Black Thought, and J5's Chali 2na make appearances. Neo-soul luminaries like Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, John Legend, india.arie, and Justin Timberlake (don't hate, that white boy can SING) also lend their voices. Still not impressed? How about STEVIE WONDER. Yeah, now you catch my drift…

So it's time to Google this fella. Turns out the guy was kind of a big deal back in the 1960s, making a splash by successfully crossing over Brazilian pop to the American mainstream. Now at age 65, he's attempting a comeback and guess who's driving the resurgence? None other than the Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am. Don't fret, there are no "Let's Get Retarded" or "My Humps" in sight. If anything, it's old-school BEP, back when they were good. It's painfully ironic that a guy who hurt his credibility by going pop is helping a former pop icon regain his glory by going anti-pop. This album proves two things about BEP's front man: 1) will.i.am knows good music, but 2) he consciously chooses the pop trash route (i.e. "My Humps") for the greenbacks. So you know what, I'm willing to compromise. Put out all the crossover garbage you want, just promise to keep doing these side projects because they're so damn fresh!

Is "Timeless" your standard hip-hop album? Definitely not. Many of the tracks don't feature 16s and a handful aren't even sung in English. But don't let that get to you. The vibe you get from this album is simply incredible. As will.i.am described to MTV, "It's the make-love-slow record." You can't tell me that real hip-hop heads don't listen to Stevie, Erykah, Jill Scott, or John Legend.

Among the standouts are the funky freshness of "Mas Que Nada" featuring the Black Eyed Peas (almost makes me forget about "My Humps"…almost) and the uncanny harmonica of Stevie on "Berimbau/Consolacao". The emceed tracks aren't bad either as two of the best songs feature your rapper's favorite indie rappers. "Yes, Yes Y'all" boasts a leadoff verse from Black Thought:

"Black's the real, he deserves real fulfill
Park the whip, jump out dressed to kill
Hop the charter flight, damn, to Brazil
Ran right in the wheel with a black ("what's the deal?")
Came with a chain, you knowin' the name
I gotta little bit of change but I'm feelin' the same
Came here for a taste of the finer things
Cause the girls look like they're from the months in a magazine
Judging on how fast the word go
They probably already know we here with Sergio
So let's get a few classy girls yo
And sip a little wine, anything but Merlot"

The song also includes strong contributions from will.i.am and Chali 2na. The album's most memorable track is the Iraq War-aimed "Loose Ends". With Britney's ex holding it down on the hook, we also witness a socially-aware side of Pharoahe Monch we don't normally see. Playing the part of (presumably) an American soldier, the Pharoahe spits the real:

"Haven't slept in days, I squeeze Visine
Cause no man's eyes should see what I've seen
Soldiers lost their minds, robbin' and pillagin'
Tomahawk missiles hit civilian villages
And they ease the pain with narcotics
I'm scared but I'm trying to remain patriotic"

Not to be outdone, Will.I.Am brings it too, enunciating each word so deliberately that absolutely no one will miss his message:

"The world is changin', we're in danger
Cause we ain't changin', our behavior
We behave like, karma's nothing
Ain't concerned with, repercussions
Ain't that something, check them out now
Pointing fingers, when they know how
we got to this, point of terror
Precaution could've made the road clearer
But we're stuck with, mediocre
leadership so, we'll just suffer
Who know what the, hell is going
on but conflicts, keep on growing
It's a f*** up, situation
When you ain't got no, education
on the problem, or know what it's about
You gotta help me out"

"Timeless" falls into a bit of a lull midway through the album ("Bananeira" and "Surfboard"), but even those two aren't terrible, just not up to par with the excellence demonstrated throughout the rest of the album. It's rare that I get to tell my readers about a dope "non-rap" album. I'm taking my shot now. Go get "Timeless", you won't regret it.

Music Vibes: 9 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 8 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 8.5 of 10

And to think he changed the James Taylor lyric on "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" not to include "then damn you." :)

BTW, do any of the rest of you 40 and 50 somethings feel WAAAAY old reading that review, LOL?

When I copy and pasted the article, and much to my surprise when I "previewed" it and saw "#####" where there was a word.
I didn't want to get banned from posting to AMCorner for quoting Sergio lyrics so I switched it to f****.

Just to clarify - nobody ever gets banned from posting lyrics, it happens all the time. (and has led to some interesting conversations and arguments about what some listeners think they're hearing!)

Mike B.
(who used to think it was "My little grasshopper at play")

From the Black-Eyed Peas website: www.blackeyedpeas.com (Under "news")

There is also a good picture of Sergio and Will on the same page.

Sergio Mendes and Will.I.Am: Timeless

It's not often an album comes along that truly blends two distinct cultures in an innovative way. That album is TIMELESS by SERGIO MENDES, due out on February 14 as a co-release by Concord Records and Starbucks Hear Music.

Look for SERGIO and will.i.am to perform on an episode of NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Thursday, February 2.

Produced by and featuring will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas, TIMELESS is a wholly original blend of music from one of the most internationally successful Brazilian musicians of all time, SERGIO MENDES, who--40 years ago--brought Brasil '66 and "Mas Que Nada" to the world. Will and Sergio brought in the Black Eyed Peas, one of hip-hop's premier artists, and also recruited some of pop music's biggest artists, each a Sergio fan, to contribute to various tracks, including Justin Timberlake, Stevie Wonder, Erykah Badu, india.arie, Black Thought of The Roots, John Legend, Chali 2na of Jurassic 5, Jill Scott, and Q-Tip, among others.

The album's first radio track, "Yes, Yes Y'all" (feat. Black Thought of The Roots and Chali 2na of Jurassic 5) has already hit number 1 on the Top 50 Airplay Chart at KCRW, the influential Los Angeles public radio station. KCRW Music Director Nic Harcourt calls TIMELESS "A new spin from a timeless master. Will.i.am's brilliance will bring Sergio's music to a whole new audience."

SERGIO describes TIMELESS--recorded in Brazil and Los Angeles--as a ". . .wonderful marriage of rhythms, because it's all African rhythms and haunting melodies…the same common denominator that brought the samba to Brazil and brought jazz to America."

Will says, "Hip-hop is urban to America, but samba and bossa nova are urban to Brazil. It's two urban cultures clashing and fusing together beautifully, because they share a lot of the same qualities."

Of working with SERGIO, Justin Timberlake said, "Sergio's creation of chord progressions has heavily influenced modern R & B, specifically now. He is a legend and a beautiful person. It was a pleasure to work with him." Black Thought of The Roots adds, "I've had the opportunity to work with just about everyone I've desired to work with and now the legendary Sergio Mendes! It was an honor to be able to collaborate with such a cool, unorthodox, timeless and well-rounded musician. He's quite an inspiration."

For more details and background on the making of TIMELESS, check out the just-launched www.sergiomendestimeless.com website.

Related link
http://www.sergiomendestimeless.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom