Sergio's Bimbo's Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Sergio's done it again!!

The Bimbo's show in San Francisco last evening was nothing short of sensational. The vocalists were Jessica Taylor (lead) and Dawn Bishop, who did an amazing rendition of "So Many Stars" to raves from the audience. A definite show-stopper was Jessica Taylor's astounding rendition of "Dindi" -- she brought the house down.

As always, the band was superb. Mike Shapiro (husband of former Mendes vocalist Kevyn Lettau) was back on Drums (always nice to see veterans back with the group). Another Mendes veteran, Kleber Jorge, made his presence known on Guitar. The bassist for the evening, Leonardo Nobre, was nothing short of fantastic. Of course, Sergio's long-standing Pecussionist, Meio Noite, was superb. Rounding out the band was Sergio's long-time Musical Director, the talented Bill Brendle on Keyboards.

Gone are the days when Sergio ended a song to begin anew -- everything (except in rare instances) is musically woven into a tapestry of song -- one to the next. Amazing! Not one person in the audience was sitting still. Matter of fact, by the end of the show most everyone was on their feet, dancing, clapping and singing along. A great time had by all.

Snippets of familiar Brasilian melodies were sprinkled throughout the show. As for musical selection, Sergio is definitely taking a nostalgic look at the old days of Bossa Nova; bringing this beautiful musical form into the Millenium with gusto.

Anyone who has an opportunity to see Sergio live on stage would do themselves good by buying a ticket. One thing about Sergio Mendes: he likes to entertain, and his audiences rarely -- if ever -- come away disappointed.

Billed as Sergio Mendes & Brasil '04, I can hardly wait for next year in Napa!!

Anyone for a little Brasil '05?

Here's the song selection from last night's knock out show:

Intro
Lua Soberana
Holografico Olodum
Trilhos Urbanos
Pretty World
Chove Chuva
Roda/Vamp
Desafinado (Jessica Taylor -- vocal solo)
Dindi (Sergio & Jessica Taylor)
One Note Samba
Ponteio
Zanzibar
A Felicidade (Jessica Taylor -- vocal solo)
<percussion segment>
So Many Stars (Dawn Bishop)
Look Of Love/Fool On The Hill
Viramundo/Magalenha
Mas Que Nada (closing)
<encore>
Voce Abusou
Adeus Tristeza
<second encore>
Indiado

Band:

Sergio Mendes: keyboards, vocals & percussion
Mike Shapiro: drums
Leonardo Nobre: Bass
Kleber Jorge: guitar
Bill Brendle: keyboards
Meio Noite: percussion
Jessica Taylor: vocals
Dawn Bishop: vocals

Thanks Jon,
for sharing your concert experience with the forum members!
Nice to see your knowledge on the airwaves all concerning Sergio Mendes!

There’s one thing I noticed in the song selection, (in this concert review and some former concert reviews from Sergio and company) no DORI CAYMMI songs are included.

IMHO, a song as LIKE A LOVER which he always played in the past at concerts is not involved.

Maybe there’s a reason for it or it’s just nothing at all.

all the best
Aqua do Brasil

That medley of "Viramundo" and "Magalenha" sounds awesome. What a perfect choice for a medley. I also always liked the song "Ponteio" from the SM PRESENTS LOBO album. Would be interesting to hear Sergio's take on it, since it was essentially his band that played with Lobo on that album.

Also good to see some fairly obscure tunes in there, like "Voce Abousou," which is one of my favorites off the VINTAGE 74 album.

An excellent show, and I wasn't even there!

Mike Blakesley said:
I also always liked the song "Ponteio" from the SM PRESENTS LOBO album.

Isn't that also on Mendes' Atlantic album, "Favorite Things"?

Rudy said:
Isn't that also on Mendes' Atlantic album, "Favorite Things"?

You're right, Neil. "Ponteio" is on the "Favorite Things" album on Atlantic -- a great rendition done in true bossa nova fashion. :)

Jon

That's one album I have never heard. I need to get some of those earlier albums. One of these days.....

Mike, you should definitely seek out FAVORITE THINGS. It's got a few things going for it.

1. It was released in 1967. This actually is DURING the early Brasil '66 period - but there are no lead female vocals.

2. Personnel includes John Pisano, Tom Scott, Dave Grusin, Dom Um Romao, and others.

3. Song selection is pretty good, including TjB 'crossover' tunes, "My Favorite Things", "So What's New", "A Banda", and "O Mar e Meu Chão (aka "The Sea Is My Soil").

4. Sergio also does a Bacharach tune, "I Say A Little Prayer."

What more could you ask of an album?!

Harry
...recommending FAVORITE THINGS, online...

Oh, for crying out loud - EVERYBODY who doesn't have this one should go get it!

Harry
...and you call yourselves 'moderators'!, online...

He is truly proud of his Brazilian roots. His latest Bimbo's show was another testament to this. The percussionist gave us a nice lesson on indigenous instruments of their amazing country.
Why don't we all lobby PBS or A&E to produce a musical DVD of pure Mendes hits?? He produced enduring love songs (among others) -- top on my list is his version of Bergman et al's "Like A Lover" (Lani Hall on lead?). Whenever I go on dates, playing this song on my car stereo always sets the right mood for the involved parties :)) Going back to the dream DVD project, it will be lovely if it will feature his great talents from Wanda to Lani to Grancinha to Dawn & Jessica. Lovers of his music should work on this.

Where have you guy`s been... this Sergio stuff is the real McCoy... go get "Favorite Things"... It`s like the = to Warm... you understand?

Harry... you can lead a horse to water, but I guess not the bridges of water... lawdy music is fun... and I love it so...

lauan said:
He is truly proud of his Brazilian roots. His latest Bimbo's show was another testament to this. The percussionist gave us a nice lesson on indigenous instruments of their amazing country.
Why don't we all lobby PBS or A&E to produce a musical DVD of pure Mendes hits?? He produced enduring love songs (among others) -- top on my list is his version of Bergman et al's "Like A Lover" (Lani Hall on lead?). Whenever I go on dates, playing this song on my car stereo always sets the right mood for the involved parties :)) Going back to the dream DVD project, it will be lovely if it will feature his great talents from Wanda to Lani to Grancinha to Dawn & Jessica. Lovers of his music should work on this.
I AGREE! But don't forget the singers like Janis Hansen, Karen Philipp, Bonnie Bowden, Leza Miller, Carol Rogers, Marietta Waters, Cruz Baca, Kate Markowitz, Dianne Reeves, Siedah Garrett, Kevyn Lettau, & Angie Jaree. All of them of BEAUTIFUL and SEXY and TALENTED!

Geri Stevens & Sondra Catton don't count because they weren't even with Sergio that long. They both were only with him for less than 1 year. Sorry Geri and Sondra, you ladies have NO LONGEVITY with Sergio's group.

At Bimbos concert, did Sergio do Ponteio with or without vocals? On the album, it's instrumental. Dom Um romao also recorde Ponteio on his album. Astrud Gilbero and Stanley Turrentine recorded a vocal version on their album.

Sounds like Sergio's Bimb... Er, Sergio's Concert at BIMBO'S was a Success!! Did you get to meet him and the band for autographs afterwards?

I wish Sergio Mendes & Brasil '04 would perform around here! I am just dying to see him perform! Keep announcing his concerts that are happening "out there"... Maybe it will be possible to see him there someday...

Dave

Dave said:
Did you get to meet him and the band for autographs afterwards?

Yes, my Mom (who attended the concert with me -- another huge Mendes fan) and I went back for a few minutes.

Dave said:
Keep announcing his concerts that are happening "out there"...

Will do...never know where or when he'll perform, but we'll try to keep everyone posted.

Jon

Aqua do Brasil said:
There’s one thing I noticed in the song selection, (in this concert review and some former concert reviews from Sergio and company) no DORI CAYMMI songs are included.

IMHO, a song as LIKE A LOVER which he always played in the past at concerts is not involved.

Hi Sjef!!

You know, Dori toured with Sergio a few years back -- a valuable addition to the band. As for "Like A Lover," I've not heard Sergio & Company do this wonderful song in many years. Last time I heard him perform "Like A Lover" was in Hawaii back in the early '90s.

The stage version was a medley of "O Cantador" and "Like A Lover." (Sergio opened the song with a vocal of "O Cantador"; one of the girls would then do a Portuguese opening to "Like A Lover," with the second verse sung in English by another girl. The song would finish with a mixture of Portuguese & English; again a medley of "O Cantador.")

Take Care!!

Jon

Captain Bacardi said:
Well, you could just buy it for all of us and save us the trouble... :D

Cheapskate! :D

I will warn (?) everyone that this album does not sound like Brasil '66 at all, other than Sergio's keyboards. It is not as well recorded, and you have to realize that this is more of an instrumental-based album with strings backing up what is essentially a core Brazilian/jazz group. IOW, it's not like Muzak, but it's sort of hip in "loungey" type of way at times. You also have to like a harpischord. :wink: I think most here would enjoy this one--just be prepared if you've never heard some of his Atlantic 60s recordings!

brasil_nut said:
You know, Dori toured with Sergio a few years back -- a valuable addition to the band. As for "Like A Lover," I've not heard Sergio & Company do this wonderful song in many years. Last time I heard him perform "Like A Lover" was in Hawaii back in the early '90s.

Last time I heard it live: Lani Hall sang it during her spot in Herb Alpert's "Spanish Moon" tour. It was a treat to hear it from "the source". :wink: She sang that, one Latin song (which I don't know the name of), and then sang "Ancient Source" due to it being on the Spanish Moon album.

Rudy said:
Captain Bacardi said:
Well, you could just buy it for all of us and save us the trouble... :D

Cheapskate! :D

I'm not cheap - just thrifty! :D

Rudy said:
I will warn (?) everyone that this album does not sound like Brasil '66 at all, other than Sergio's keyboards. It is not as well recorded, and you have to realize that this is more of an instrumental-based album with strings backing up what is essentially a core Brazilian/jazz group. IOW, it's not like Muzak, but it's sort of hip in "loungey" type of way at times.

I guess that's why it got some lukewarm reviews on Amazon. I'll get it just to hear his version of "Sea Is My Soil".

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I'll get it just to hear his version of "Sea Is My Soil".

Well, his 'first' version of "The Sea Is My Soil" anyway. Sergio revisited this great tune (O Mar é Meu Chão) a decade or so later on the oustanding HORIZONTE ABERTO.

Harry
...is it Friday yet?, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom