Sergio's Bimbo's Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with Jon about the concert.
It was really nice to see you and your mom there.

Jessica sang "Dindi" wonderfully!
Dawn did a nice renedition of "So Many Stars".

IT WAS AMAZING~!

I brought my other half with me who doesn't really know much about the music. (I have nice headphones...) But my other half did have an interesting observation: "The girls don't know portuguese, do they?" Because when when "Pretty World" started up, Jessica and Dawn's personas were completely altered. The hand movements and facial gestures were alive! Essentially, they knew what they were saying.

The last time I talked to Jessica a couple of years ago, she told me that her last trip to Japan, she spent the airplane trip trying to translate "Viramundo". Ironically enough, that was the first song I tried to translate. We had a good chuckle about that. It's a very intriguing song.

Bottom Line is that the concert is amazing for all~!

Brandon

Captain Bacardi said:
I guess that's why it got some lukewarm reviews on Amazon. I'll get it just to hear his version of "Sea Is My Soil".

It's not my favorite CD (it does have Grusin on it, after all, so you've got some of the overbearing strings at a few points), but it does have some good tunes. My favorites are "Ponteio", "Veleiro", "Comin' Home baby" and "Boa Palavra". The title track will remind you of Ramsey Lewis (you'll know when you hear it), and the others are decent.

The "Favorite Things" album had a lot of play in my house during my childhood -- mostly because my Father was big on Jazz and enjoyed Sergio's work both with and without Brasil '66. As far as the album itself, I played the Lp version (from my own collection) a great deal in my high school years. However, I'd not listened to it in a long time and was surprised at how "different" it sounded on hearing the CD a couple of years ago.

And yet, although it sounds different, it's enjoyable all over again. I'd definitely recommend "Favorite Things" to those who have yet to purchase a copy. Yes, it's definitely a reflection of the era from which it comes. However, it's a juicy taste of Sergio at his "sixties-jazz-pop" best. Almost puts me in the mind of a collaboration between Sergio and Lalo Shifrin!!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom