• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Singer Skeeter Davis dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The End of the World" belongs on that list of tear jerker tunes we've discussed elsewhere.
Claudine Longet covered this one on THE LOOK OF LOVE (SP 4129). An instrumental version appears on Percy Faith's THEMES FOR YOUNG LOVERS on Columbia.
JB
NP: Claudine Longet THE LOOK OF LOVE (SP 4129)

'Why does the sun go on shining
why do these eyes of mine cry;
don't they know it's the end of the world
It ended when you said goodbye ...."

Funny how just the other day, I was listening to my RCA Various Artists Country Collection, Pop Hits Country Flavored, on which Skeeter Davis contributes "You've Got A Friend", on Record One. This is also available as a 5-Record Set, where you're also treated to Skeeter singing "The Windmills Of Your Mind", as well as "My Coloring Book". The latter, of which I saw the original album of, that also features "End Of The World", which I now wish I had bought!

I would expect some of the rest of the performers like George Hamilton IV, Hank Snow, Bobby Bare, Connie Smith, Norma Jean, Jerry Reed, Denny Davis (of The Nashville Brass) and Dottie West and I know Waylon Jennings, Floyd Cramer and Chet Atkins have by now, passed away...

Dave

...R.I.P., Miss Davis... :angel: :sad:

Dave said:
I would expect some of the rest of the performers like George Hamilton IV, Hank Snow, Bobby Bare, Connie Smith, Norma Jean, Jerry Reed, Denny Davis (of The Nashville Brass) and Dottie West and I know Waylon Jennings, Floyd Cramer and Chet Atkins have by now, passed away...
Alas, Mr. Snow and Ms. West have also joined Mr. Jennings, Mr. Cramer, Mr. Atkins and, now, Ms. Davis in the netherworld.

Another sad loss -loved her version of End Of The World ....covered stunningly by Karen Carpenter in 1973 and performed by Karen with Richard within various music combos through 1960's .....:cool:

Peter

The group Herman's Hermits (with Peter Noone) did the remake back in 1965. It can be found on "Retrospective" that just came out. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom