• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Singer Tori Holub: Reminiscent of Karen

I think it's nice she does covers of their songs and maybe her posts on TikTok get young people possibly interested in some Carpenters songs. She's definitely said nobody sounds like Karen and she isn't trying to be a sound-a-like.
^^nicely said and also good thoughts. Often, when someone is trying to emulate Karen, I listen and move on. But I don’t get that sense from Tori’s covers. I enjoy hearing them.

55 years ago, so many people wouldn’t publicly acknowledge if they were a Carpenters fan and now here comes along this young lady, unapologetically covering 50-55 year old songs and making them sound fresh and new to so many. Brava. Keep it going.

She has already cut an original song. She's a Carpenters Superfan, too. And that is a great baseline.

Last edited:
^^nicely said and also good thoughts. Often, when someone is trying to emulate Karen, I listen and move on. But I don’t get that sense from Tori’s covers. I enjoy hearing them.

55 years ago, so many people wouldn’t publicly acknowledge if they were a Carpenters fan and now here comes along this young lady, unapologetically covering 50-55 year old songs and making them sound fresh and new to so many. Brava. Keep it going.

She has already cut an original song. She's a Carpenters Superfan, too. And that is a great baseline.
Absolutely. Utilizing the fact that Tori sounds a lot like one of the best singers in all of time was a great way to garner attention and provide a gateway to her future as an artist.

Thank you, Tori, for your beautiful songs at the 55th! How special to hear you in person in the church that Carpenters knew so well. Beyond words!

I'm not sure how many new fans she's drawing to Carpenters, and how many she acting as a distraction...

The proper thing for her to do - the honest, professional thing - is to develope over time a catalog of her own songs and establish her own career identity - then if she wants to include a medley of Carpenter songs in her live shows and/or on her albums, that would be wonderful - even better if she creates a new arrangement of each.

Otherwise, she might as well just take the easy road, get a band together and set up a program and declare herself a "tribute artist", one more in a long line of such imitators such as Toni Lee, or that act that is now resident in Las Vegas (what's their names?)...

I think she's outstanding and I wish her the very greatest success as she moves forward regardless of the specifics. It seems to me that she's got a good balance of things. Really sorry to have missed her live but gives me something to look forward to in the future. Press on Tori Holub!

I'm not sure how many new fans she's drawing to Carpenters, and how many she acting as a distraction...

The proper thing for her to do - the honest, professional thing - is to develope over time a catalog of her own songs and establish her own career identity - then if she wants to include a medley of Carpenter songs in her live shows and/or on her albums, that would be wonderful - even better if she creates a new arrangement of each.

Otherwise, she might as well just take the easy road, get a band together and set up a program and declare herself a "tribute artist", one more in a long line of such imitators such as Toni Lee, or that act that is now resident in Las Vegas (what's their names?)...
She can do both. The audiences for each are different enough that one doesn't necessarily impede on the other. However, juggling the two could be an issue when one side takes off relative to the other. She is only 21 and if success comes at a measured pace, that would be in her favor. She has an old soul and that givers her an artistic edge over those who don't. Hopefully, she doesn't get talked into becoming like an Ariana Grande or Dua Lipa. She is good enough as Tori Holub and true, honest, artistry can still connect with the masses when it happens.

Otherwise, she might as well just take the easy road, get a band together and set up a program and declare herself a "tribute artist", one more in a long line of such imitators such as Toni Lee, or that act that is now resident in Las Vegas (what's their names?).

Actually the polite thing to do is let her have fun doing what she wants to do, and if you don’t like it, don’t listen. She’s doing what she enjoys, not sure what’s wrong with that. It’s not hurting you, me or anyone else.

Actually the polite thing to do is let her have fun doing what she wants to do, and if you don’t like it, don’t listen. She’s doing what she enjoys, not sure what’s wrong with that. It’s not hurting you, me or anyone else.
I stand by the points I made above - even though you chose not to address them directly.

I certainly have no way of stopping her from having fun doing what she wants to do, what she enjoys. And no, it's not hurting you or me. But, there's a real good chance it could be hurting Tori herself in the long run, if she continues along this path.

Just exactly how far is her career going to go being just another Karen "sound-a-like" and rehashing songs that have already been done as superbly as they ever could be?

Her choices are: become an independent artist with an identity and a catalog of songs of her own, or become the next in a long, largely forgettable string of "Karen tribute artists". And if there's one of those then that's one too many.

I don’t think Tori’s really trying to sound like Karen specifically - I just think she’s influenced a lot by her, and naturally her vocal style will be influenced by her. I’m sure she realizes her potential and will try to have her own career - but regardless, it’s not about how popular you get; it’s about following what your heart desires. Some singers are perfectly happy just being a tribute artist and never getting anywhere, because that’s just what they love to do.

Personally, I find listening to cover versions a way to help keep the same songs interesting over time. Even if the original version can’t be triumphed, it’s always interesting to hear someone else’s take on it.

Regardless of whatever Tori chooses to do with her career, me and all of us who follow her will love hearing it. She’s only just begun. :)

This could easily be me doing this reaction to Tori - I agree with just about everything this guy says...

Speculating on why Tori is covering Carpenter songs and analyzing how her career best might go forward are legitimate topics of cool, rational discussion - if one doesn't have any thoughts or facts to add one is certainly free to "move on"...

She performed Thursday night at the Downey United Methodist Church. The same church where Karen’s funeral was held in 1983. It’s a very old building, and not the greatest acoustics. She was one of the better singers, performing Something In Your Eyes, and Yesterday Once More. She was with us most of the events, very sweet, and a big Carpenters fan for sure. Some of the attendees there are very smitten with her. She looked beautiful in her maroon colored dress that evening. It reminded me of the one Karen wore in 1971.

Last edited:
Did Tori have that guy with her on stage who played all the instruments in her video recently posted or was she alone singing to a pre recorded instrumental track of these 2 songs? I hope we can get to see all these performances.

It was an acoustic concert, in a church, so mainly just piano backing the vocalists. I don’t remember what Tori used. It could have been prerecorded tracks. Maybe Jim remembers? The children’s choir that opened for them used Carpenters karaoke tracks though.

She performed Thursday night at the Downey United Methodist Church. The same church where Karen’s funeral was held in 1983. It’s a very old building, and not the greatest acoustics. She was one of the better singers, performing Something In Your Eyes, and Yesterday Once More. She was with us most of the events, very sweet, and a big Carpenters fan for sure. Some of the attendees there are very smitten with her. She looked beautiful in her maroon colored dress that evening. It reminded me of the one Karen wore in 1971.
Maybe that's why she chose that dress.

^^So nice!!
I only wished they had dimmed the lights to create more effect and put a spot light on her. I could listen to a whole concert of Tori’s. Such a great voice!!

A May Day gift for everyone...You're welcome!

"Something In Your Eyes" is pretty rushed. She can't lay back and phrase. She's singing pretty matter-of-factly and it's fine. If this were taken more slowly, she could have really breathed life into this.

"Yesterday Once More" is taken at a pretty fast clip too (was the pianist in a hurry?). She fares better here but that's because she sticks closely to what Karen did. There's also a lack of rehearsal here as with both tunes, Tori isn't sure how to end it.

Still, nice to see this clip. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

"Something In Your Eyes" is pretty rushed. She can't lay back and phrase. She's singing pretty matter-of-factly and it's fine. If this were taken more slowly, she could have really breathed life into this.

"Yesterday Once More" is taken at a pretty fast clip too (was the pianist in a hurry?). She fares better here but that's because she sticks closely to what Karen did. There's also a lack of rehearsal here as with both tunes, Tori isn't sure how to end it.

I wasn't all that enamoured with the performance if I'm honest.

Back
Top Bottom