"SINGLES" Box Set Clarification from Richard;

Status
Not open for further replies.
INTERESTING ..... :o

August seems a odd choice for release month ....perhaps it will be fall / autumn before finally approved & released .... :wink:

Look forward to this box set plus ideally some rarely released versions & perhaps a bonus for Carpenters fans ....:cool:

Peter

Chris May said:
They've had difficulty locating some of the original 1/4" tapes, and have every intention of making this as authentic as possible, hence the delay. -Chris

What does that mean exactly. The master reels (tape)? Who has them and who is trying to find it? Are these at A&M, Universal, Richard's keeping?

It's nice to see they are trying to get the original mixes on all the singles. But it's unsettling that there's difficulty in locating the original tapes, kinda scary that the music I so treasure may one day be unavailable in original format to convert to digital.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
What does that mean exactly. The master reels (tape)? Who has them and who is trying to find it? Are these at A&M, Universal, Richard's keeping?

All of the '45's were originally cut from 1/4", 2-track stereo prints. Since several of them were not "album cuts", they were radio re-mixes and/or edits. They've been sitting in a vault there, just like the 1/4" 2-channel masters have here in the States. I know that Richard has all of the multi-track masters (8, 16, 24) of their catalog which he has in his own archive here in California. My understanding is that the Japanese "single" mixes are over in Japan, most of which were copies of the U.S. single mix on any given song.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
It's nice to see they are trying to get the original mixes on all the singles. But it's unsettling that there's difficulty in locating the original tapes, kinda scary that the music I so treasure may one day be unavailable in original format to convert to digital.

Actually, this is the exact same problem that they had when they pieced together the "30th Anniversary Collector's Edition" box set. They had a helluva time locating some. Nonetheless, they managed, however it just took time. -Chris

It looks like it is about time I should make a call and see about Singles Boxset release.

Remember, this set is Japanese Original Single Mix set. Unlike in the States where Carpenters stayed at A&M in Hollywood forever (almost!), in the 70's Carpenters (A&M label) was on King Records. Then in the very late 70's, A&M was licensed to Alfa Records. And in 1986 (0r maybe it was 1987) A&M label was released by Pony Canyon. Guys, these three are ALL totally different companies.

Transition from King to Alfa was okay. Even very A&R who made Carpenters a big star in the early 70's moved from King to Alfa because he wanted to continue working with A&M.

When the term was ended at Alfa and A&M was contracted to be released by Pony Canyon.... The following is my understanding. Contractually Alfa records was supposed to hand EVERYTHING to Pony Canyon. However, aforementioned A&R was really sad/mad about A&M leaving him, and there was no way he can be an A&R for A&M at Pony Canyon. Instead, a guy who I worked for the same company a couple of years prior got the job at Pony Canyon and became an A&R for A&M (you see, that is how I heard this story).

Anyway, Alfa's A&R was so mad, he decided to hand nothing to Pony Canyon. This includes all linernotes written in Japan, translations of whatever, master tapes, promo materials, artist shots etc etc NOTHING. So, This guy at Pony Canyon needed to get everything from A&M in Hollywood or re-do everything. You see that is how I got my job there to write linernotes for Japanese Carpenters releases in the first place. The new A&R knew me, and I told him how much I loved Carpenters, and he needed somebody to write linernotes very badly.

Now you can easily see a problem here about Singles boxset. I do not believe any Single mix mastertapes were handed to Pony Canyon. A transtion from Pony Canyon to Polydor(later became Universal) was no problem, but since Pony Canyon did not have any Singles mixed tapes from previous company, I do not believe Polydor received any either. So where's the tapes?

This is my guess, probably Single's mix tapes are still at King Records. I will ask Universal Music people next time I speak with them. But I am pretty sure of it. Probably Richard has good chunk of Japanese original single mix masters at his vault. Yet I would assume that would not complete the set.

Anyway, what I am saying is that the things are not as straight forward as it is in the U.S. as Japanese record company for Carpenters had changed a few times over the years.

I am stating it for a record. Enthusiastic Japanese Carpenters fans know this story, and I do not think nobody really knows it overseas.

I hope it fills your Carpenters cravings a bit if not anything.

Yuka

Thanks, Yuka! It did bring insight to how much is involved in putting together the singles set. Thank you for your information, and thank you for all you do for CARPENTERS and us fans!

Patrick,

It is my greatest pleasure to have been able to serve Carpenters fans all over the world. I am glad to hear that I was able to give you a bit more insight to it.

I have contacted Universal Music Japan and they informed they aiming its release around Richard's birthday if not right on that date. But again, this is no promise nor guarantee, just hoping.

Thanks,
Yuka
http://iceland.cool.ne.jp/yuka/english/Carp/

ok, here is a dumb question, when is Richard's birthday?

Thank you Yuka for your updates, I still plan to purchase this when and if it is released, I'm glad that it will be released correctly with Richard's approval, that is very important to me. If you have further updates please keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Sakura, that is funny, I'm actually glad you re-upped this thread. I got a laugh that it is almost 1 year since I posted here saying how I wanted this set so bad and then all the delays and now I have it in my hands original singles box set. :laugh: Happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom