Tape Dropouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two reviews on that page are from our very own "Captain Bacardi" and "Rudy".

A tape dropout is nothing more than the sound level dropping rapidly for a split second. It is usually caused by damaged tape, either during recording or after poor tape handling or storage. If you listen to most versions of Herb Alpert's "Monday, Monday", you'll hear a quick dropout about 6 seconds in.

Here's a graphical view of that dropout:

dropout.jpg

It appears that some louder sound happened in the left channel for an instant, which seems to have caused both channels, but mostly the right, to drop in level for that small chunk of time, about twenty-five thousandths of a second.

Many of us were critical of DEFINITIVE HITS because several songs were riddled with dropouts.

Harry

The two reviews on that page are from our very own "Captain Bacardi" and "Rudy".

A tape dropout is nothing more than the sound level dropping rapidly for a split second. It is usually caused by damaged tape, either during recording or after poor tape handling or storage. If you listen to most versions of Herb Alpert's "Monday, Monday", you'll hear a quick dropout about 6 seconds in.

Here's a graphical view of that dropout:

dropout.jpg

It appears that some louder sound happened in the left channel for an instant, which seems to have caused both channels, but mostly the right, to drop in level for that small chunk of time, about twenty-five thousandths of a second.

Many of us were critical of DEFINITIVE HITS because several songs were riddled with dropouts.

Harry

Yeah, I recognized their names. I think this has been happening in a lot of the used records I've been buying. I thought it was just me since I wear hearing aids, but, now I know it isn't just me. Thanks Harry

The reason you should ALWAYS clean (with Q-tips in 91% rubbing alcohol) and demagnetize your tape deck's heads. :wink:
I did those things constantly when i had cassette and Reel recorders back in the day and im happy to say thanks to those maintenance procedures my cassettes lasted for many years and survived long enough to be transfered and consolidated to digital Moral of the story " It Pays to take care of your equipment"!

Dropouts are typically tape damage. And it happens with digital as well. DAT was notorious for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom