1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Album Sides THE ALBUM SIDES [Poll]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Feb 26, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side 1

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Side 2

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. no1kandrfan

no1kandrfan Active Member

Side 2: Boat To Sail - loved it from first listen. One More Time - one of Karen's best.

newvillefan and Mark-T like this.
  2. Brian

Brian Member

I'm not sure which side I like best. 'I Need to Be In Love' is a majestic song and one of Karen's best performances. 'One More Time' is filled with a longing for a time, place and loved-ones probably no longer reachable. A lovely song. 'Boat to Sail' is light and enjoyable and still keeps afloat. Just. 'Goofus' is fun, with a nice arrangement and great harmonies. 'You' still retains some sort of special quality. If I can get back into my teenage skin, I can still take 'Can't Smile Without You' at (unsmiling) face value and enjoy it. Other tracks are largely forgettable, from the breezy and light-weight 'There's a Kind of Hush' to the unsubstantiated filler, 'Sandy', to the why-did-they-bother-to-do-it 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do' to the over-simplistic 'I Have You'. ("When I fell, you were there with your hand in the air". What??). I loved this album for many years after I bought it in 1977 but some of the tracks have probably lost their spark since then.