The Carpenters Live on CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMAR5

Does anyone know if that 1976 Carpenter Live album ever made it to CD format? It's such a rarity.

There were two live albums that made it to CD. Neither one was released in the U.S.

1/ Live in Japan-1972
2/Live at the London Palladium-1976

There also is a live version of the "Bacharach/David medley" from Las Vegas that is on the "Anthology" CD.

Richard has several live concerts recorded, but they remain in the vault.

and might I add this from the Q/A from Carpenters official site:

Q="There has never been a live Carpenters album released in the U.S. I am sure you have many live shows recorded. Any chance of a new live CD, or box set of live concerts?"

Richard="Not many live shows were recorded, only two: 'Live in Japan' (1974) and 'Live at the Palladium' (1976). Both have been released on CD, but the former will probably be easier to obtain. Japan is the source to look for both - through Tower or Virgin imports, of course. These were never released in the U.S. at my request, as I'm just not much on live albums by anybody."

Sounds like these Japan releases will be all we will see in the future regarding live concerts. Sounds like Richard does not like live concerts.

You could also add to the list above Live in Budakon, although not released in a CD format, it was released on VHS tape which we all know can be converted to audio only on a CDR (of which I did for playing in my car) and the audio only sounds as good as an official release CD.

I have to think there had to be many live concerts recorded over the Carpenters years but we will never hear.

Live in Budokan was also released in the now defunct Laser Disc format, and DVD. It actually is somewhat similar to the Live In Japan album.

I always thought the Live In Budokan DVD and the Live In Japan CD were the same performance.... They both open with the feedback from the open mike, the band tuning up, and the same songs are performed in the same order on both of them...

Live at the Palladium from 76 was originally released in the UK on A & M LP record. It was later released on a budget label called Pickwick in LP, Cassette and CD format. It still shows the A & M label but lacks the photography on the back cover. The original LP had a photo of a double decker London bus with Carpenters advertising on the poster boards.

The inside sleeve has a brief summary of the Carpenters career, which is not very well written implying that Karen died at the end of 1982. It also says its digitally remastered but frankly the sound of the Japanese concerts is far superior.

I am not aware of the Live in Japan from 72 - Both the Live in Budokan, video, laser disc and DVD are all of the first performance of the 74 Japanese tour. The Live in Japan album is a concert from the same tour but recorded in Osaka. Its pretty much the same playlist, but Pete Henderson from the opening act joins them on stage for the oldies medley, which is a different set and sings Runaway and Shuboom as well as helping Doug Strawn out on Johnny B Good.

I bought both Japanese releases as imports from Japan via Revolution records here in England at great expense, but for those who have not seen or heard these, I would urge you to seek them out. They are among my most treasured releases of all. I know some people don't care for live recordings compared to studio work (Richard himself for one!), but I love them.

There is footage of a concert on U Tube featuring Pete Henderson on the oldies medley, I think in Holland, but my favorite unreleased live clip is on the Australian concert, where Richard explains to the audience how the sound is created and the way the group substitute his and Karen's overdubbed vocals for live performance. He does it in a very entertaining and informative way.

The concerts for the LIVE IN JAPAN 2-CD set and the LIVE AT BUDOKAN video are actually different concerts. They were obviously recorded on the same tour, but they are indeed different performances.

As for U.S. "live" releases, wasn't there a 2-record live album recorded in Las Vegas in 1978 that was mastered for release, but withdrawn before any were manufactured?

David

The Live in Las Vegas recordings were botched. Richard used Wally Heider recorders to tape the concert. However, they missed recording the brass section. For the "Live Bacharach & David medley" from the Vegas concert used on "Anthology", Richard had to re-dub the brass parts on synthesizer.

JAZZ4JEFF said:
The Live in Las Vegas recordings were botched. Richard used Wally Heider recorders to tape the concert.

Jeff what do you mean? What is a Wally Heider recorder? Why would Richard be in charge of recording a live concert? Why wouldn't there team behind the scenes be in charge of that?

Wally Heider was a very popular recording studio in Hollywood. Richard contracted them to record the Vegas shows. The engineer from Wally Heider was the one who did not record the brass section.

The botched Vegas recordings were made in 1974. I'm talking about concerts that were recorded in 1978 specifically for a U.S. release.

I'd be happy if Richard completed the 1974 recordings as well -- the live Bacharach/David medley sounds fantastic.

David

One has to keep in mind that Carpenters were studio animals, not really thrilled with the way they sounded live. Both siblings were perfectionists, and the live element just had too many chances for errors. I have a home-made recording of that same 74 tour when they appeared at Valley Forge Music Fair. There was a sour note hit on the flute opening to "Jambalaya" and Karen made it very clear in her verbal introduction that she wasn't happy with it, saying "...and if we get it right, I think you might recognize it."

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom