1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
    Dismiss Notice

The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Rudy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Mike

Mike Active Member

Now playing -- The Ramsey Lewis Trio "Another Voyage"

Next up -- Boney James & Rick Braun "Shake It Up".

Mike

2. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

Essential Santana going right now, but it's wearing on me. (Not much of a Santana fan...I can only hear the same guitar solo repeated a few times. :laugh: )

I am totally at a loss as to what I should play next. :shrug:

3. Rudy

Piano time...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

Fredde Gedde "32 songs in 8 minutes" and other You Tube selections by Fredde...

--Mr Bill

5. Rudy

Let's see...temps in the mid 90s today, high humidity, work outside is done, and I'm a bachelor for a good 10 hours or more today. I think it's gonna be Vinyl Tuesday at Casa Roody. :D

6. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Just picked up Stevie Nicks' new CD, In Your Dreams. I'd skipped her last few albums but was won over by several good reviews on this one... they all compare the album to her best work with Fleetwood Mac. I'm into track 3 right now and it's really good!

Also picked up the new disk by The Cars -- haven't heard it yet but it's next up.

7. Mike

Mike Active Member

Now spinning -- Michael Jackson "Thriller"

Whether you love him, hate him, think he was strange or pity him, Michael Jackson's Thriller LP is (in my opinion) amazing.

All the best,
    Mike

8. mikeargo

mikeargo Member

Picking through my iTunes library tonight . . . Carpenters "Ordinary Fool" followed by "A Song For You," then Baja Marimba Band's "Elena" and Roger Nichols/Small Circle of Friends "Love So Fine," then the Andrews Sisters "I'll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time" then some Focus "Hocus Pocus" and Marty Robbins with "You Gave Me a Mountain" followed by Herb & Lani's new "Taste of Honey" . . . not sure where I'll go next, but it's sure a lot of fun along the way . . .

=Mike A.

9. Rudy

Thriller was for sure his peak IMHO. I have the promo 12" single of "Wanna Be Startin' Something" that has a couple of extended sections to it. Thriller on SACD sounds fantastic BTW...and I still regret getting rid of my vinyl copy.

10. Rudy

Of all the Edu Lobo albums I own, this one has really resonated with me. The appearance of the classic Tamba Trio on this set is the icing on the cake, and makes for quite the impressive debut by Lobo on record.

[​IMG]

Perusing my list of Edu Lobo titles, I have the following:

A Musica de Edu Lobo por Edu Lobo
    Edu e Bethania
    Edu Lobo
    Contiga de Longe
    Sergio Mendes presents Edu Lobo
    Missa Breve
    Edu & Tom (with Antonio Carlos Jobim)
    Deus Lhe Pague (soundtrack composed with lyricist/poet Vinicius de Moraes)
    Personalidade (compilation containing tracks from a few of these albums)

Hoping to get a few more this year, including a recent recording of his. It is interesting to hear the original versions of a lot of the songs others would cover (Mendes, Alpert, etc.). I also saw a video on YouTube where he does a duet with his son, but can't locate it right now. Below is a really nice version of "Canto Triste" that is my favorite of those I've heard so far...

11. Rudy

Wow, your shooting all over the landscape. Sounds like one of my own chaotic playlist nights. :D

12. Rudy

Found! Bena and Edu Lobo: "Ponteio". Bena has inherited his dad's musical talents. :thumbsup:

13. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator

I just got my copy of LIFELINES today. Listening now.

The only track I'd heard prior was "No. 9 Dream" that was a download from her website. So this is largely unfamiliar territory as far as these recordings go. Interesting so far.

Harry

14. Rudy

Piano Time, reloaded: Bill Evans Trio, Waltz For Debby. I spun some Metheny on vinyl earlier: Offramp and American Garage while I cleaned up from dinner and put together an IKEA Expedit shelving unit. I also played a CD of odds and ends I made from stray Donald Fagen b-sides and live tracks.

I did spin Chick Corea's Return To Forever LP yesterday, in honor of his 70th birthday. And the day before, with it being Joao Gilberto's 80th birthday, I gave "Chega de Saudade" a spin.

15. J Cleary

J Cleary New Member

Ambrosia is much more than just their soft rock hits. Ambrosia's first two albums are Classic Progressive Rock. The debut album was mixed by Alan Parsons and Alan produced their second "Somewhere I've Never Travelled". Ambrosia just headlined the CalProg Progressive Rock festival
    last October and Rocked the house ditching the soft pop and playing only extended versions of their Progressive Rock songs.

Check out one of my favorite songs off Ambrosia's debut album "Make Us All Aware". Parsons does a great job mixing this song including coming up with the idea to begin it with a backwards gong.

Make Us All Aware
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZAw5J9Z8lY

Then Check out these Killer Live versions of Classic Ambrosia songs!!

Nice Nice Very Nice

Time Waits For No One

Holdin On To Yesterday

16. Rudy

Definitely! I was only choosing a couple of songs that others here may recognize. One could argue that a few other well-known prog bands "went pop" as well.

Thanks for the clips--good stuff! :thumbsup:

17. Rudy

Tonight's picks:

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind (Reprise "steamboat" pressing)
    Van Morrison: Moondance (Rhino 180g vinyl reissue)
    Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection (MFSL gold CD)
    Andreas Vollenweider: Behind The Gardens... (standard Columbia CD)
    Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra: Consummation (standard CD)

18. Rudy

Trying to do some paying work, so I have the Zune set up with a rather long playlist...

Dire Straits: Love Over Gold and On Every Street
    Al Stewart: Year Of The Cat, Time Passages and Last Days of The Century
    Bill Withers: Lean On Me--The Best Of Bill Withers
    Bill Evans: Waltz For Debby and Sunday Night at The Village Vanguard

19. Mr Bill

Today: Lio (her debut album)

20. Rudy

Pat Metheny marathon while I try to get some work done here... :sigh: One of the few things I can listen to that will settle me down and get me to concentrate.

21. Mr Bill

While on leave I need mellow pop to settle me down (espcially since the 13-year-old son and the 6 year-old grandson are here and the 19-year-old college bound evil-teen are stirring up trouble)... I may check in EARLY to my next command just to get out of the house :laugh:

Henry Badowski, Lio and early TJB or BMB fits the bill well!

22. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

I'm about to clean my house (yes, I actually do perform these duties) so I'm spinning Freddie Hubbard's Live At The North Sea Jazz Festival (Pablo Records). You just gotta swing while brushing the toilet. :D

23. Rudy

I've been all over the map today (starting around 4pm). With a couple of exceptions, I played most of the tracks on these albums. All on vinyl. :thumbsup:

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind
    Prince: Purple Rain
    Earth Wind & Fire: Raise!
    Pat Metheny Group: First Circle
    Live: Throwing Copper (yes, it had a very limited vinyl release...this sucka is rare!)
    U2: The Joshua Tree
    Robert Plant: Shaken and Stirred
    The Cramps: Gravest Hits (had to play "Human Fly" twice! :D )
    Gino Soccio: Outline
    Christopher Cross: Christopher Cross
    The Dave Clark Five: 14 Million Sellers (aka the infamous "Starline LP" in stereo)
    Donald Fagen: The Nightfly (import pressing)
    Carpenters: Passage
    Fleetwood Mac: Tusk (a better album if you skip all the Stevie Nicks songs :whistle: )

...and the night is young! :roodytiphat:

24. Mike

Mike Active Member

Grand Funk Railroad -- Greatest Hits!

Mike

25. Rudy

I'm your captain! :roodytiphat:

Got in a load of high-res titles from a buddy of mine, so have been playing through a few. So far...

Dave Grusin: Discovered Again!
    John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
    Stan Getz/Cal Tjader Quartet (self-titled)
    Weather Report: Mysterious Traveler (still don't "get" this stuff...I'll take Return To Forever over Weather Report)
    Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

And since I dug my Harmon/Kardon CD-301 cassette deck out of mothballs, I played part of the Metheny/Mays album I had taped to a new metal tape the other night. Sounds really good! Hard to believe I paid almost $500 for this back in the early 80s (and I'd put it up against any Nakamichi cassette deck out there...except the Dragon).