• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

The ochre label

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveK

:?: Does anyone know what the last A&M single and album released with the ochre label was? Or the first with the silver label? My Herb Alpert "Foursider" has the ochre label and I don't recall ever seeing a copy of "You Smile..." that didn't have the silver label, so I figure it was between those two releases.

I think it was sometime around 1973 with the catalog numbers in the high 4300s.

I'm sure LPJim will have a nore definitive answer.

Harry
...with an estimate, online...

First, as for the silver / tan label (introduced November, 1973): One of the very first, if not the first, 45's to use that design was Sister Janet Mead's "The Lord's Prayer" (AM-1491-S). On copies that were pressed by Columbia's Pitman, N.J. plant, it also was perhaps the last to use that factory's own typesetting.

The very next single, "You're So Unique" by Billy Preston (#1492), was the first Columbia-pressed 45 to use label copy artwork imported from the company that did same for the Monarch pressing plant, as would be de rigueur for most of the rest of the run of this design.

Of course, (the) Carpenters' The Singles 1969-1973 was most likely the first LP to use the silver / tan label.

As for the ochre design: Among the last 45's to boast such label was Stealers Wheel's "Star" (AM-1483-S), the latest catalogue number I saw was 1487(-S) for a Booker T. & Priscilla promo. One of the last LP's I saw with the ochre label (by which time had become mustardish) was The Best Of Procol Harum.

The first Ozark Mt. Daredevils album, self-titled SP 4411, has the gray label and so does SP 4412 MEET MISSISSIPPI CHARLES BEVEL.
However, SP 4413 (Booker T & Priscilla CHRONICLES) has the oche label.
This probably happened because the records weren't released in the same order they were assigned project numbers.
Billy Preston's EVERYBODY LIKES SOME KIND OF MUSIC (SP 3526) had an ochre label. The next item , Burt Bacharach LIVING TOGETHER (3527), and all that followed had the gray one.
JB

Personally, I liked the red 'Forget-Me-Not' labels that came out in the '80s. Interesting that regular A&M labels followed suit shortly thereafer.

Jon

As far as 45's go, the last known release with the basic ochre design has now been found to be "Something Big" / "Living Together, Growing Together" by Burt Bacharach (#1489-S). That's six catalogue numbers after the Stealers Wheel 45 (#1483-S) and two before the silver-and-tan Sister Janet Mead single (#1491-S).

As far as Columbia pressings with the ochre being brownish and the "A&M" being orange - among 45's, one of the last was Quincy Jones' 45 "Summer in the City" / " 'Sanford & Son Theme' - NBC-TV (The Streetbeater)" (AM-1455). By the time "Sister James" by Nino Tempo & 5th Ave. Sax (AM-1461-S) came out, Columbia switched colors to a more mustardish (spicy brown, not the yellow type) tint for the ochre and salmon pink in place of the orange - this, to correspond more to how far off the track Monarch pressings had gone in terms of the classic ochre design..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom